Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a recommendation.

Options
  • 12-11-2005 3:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Right, well I'm seriously in need of a decent new game.

Preferably of the RPG variety, but not one of those big online ones. I rather prefer the singleplayer ones, which seem increasingly rare these days. Anyway, some of my favourite games would be Gothic/Gothic 2, Morrowind, Deus Ex, and recently I quite enjoyed Vampire The Masqeurade: Bloodlines.

Anyway, don't bother recommending anyting old to track down, because chances are I've played it already, I'd be looking for something recent along the same lines.

Any help here appreciated, thanks. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

kotor 1/2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Fable: The Lost Chapters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Another vote for Fable. I really enjoyed the original and I'm currently going back to play through the Lost Chapters, but if you're strict about your RPGs, you might find it a bit simplistic. Great combat mechanic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Yip definitely Kotor 1/2 ( 1 is slightly better )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I want Gothic 2 :(

But yes, go for KOTOR great games. And I know you've prolly played it but I'll throw in NWN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, I've played both KOTOR and NWN, and I wasn't really mad on either of them to be honest.

I'll probably check out Fable so. Just one question though, is it a decent free-roaming RPG, akin to Gothic or Morrowind, or is it on-rails like Dungeon Seige? Because if there's anything I gate, it's a game that feels on-rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Fable is probably the most on rails rpg there is.Its still good however:)

Kare Bear wrote:
    Fable is probably the most on rails rpg there is.

Hmm... Definetly reason to strike that from the list so. There's nothing that annoys me more than playing a game where there's just one set path to follow, with little or no deviation.

Fable is pretty weak.
    Your best bet is to sit and twiddle your thumbs until Gothic III is released.

Slurms wrote:
    Fable is pretty weak.
    Your best bet is to sit and twiddle your thumbs until Gothic III is released.

Or I could twiddle something else... :v:

• Advertisement

Or I could twiddle something else... :v:
    Aye, but then when Gothic III hits you'll be blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

tried bards tale?

jaggeh wrote:
    tried bards tale?

No, that's definetly not the kind of game I'm after at all. From reviews, it's supposedly just a hack'n'slash dungeon trawler, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm after. I want something with a lot of character interaction, a good free-roaming game world, and little or no dungeon trawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

If you have an xBox - i was thinking of picking up the new Call Of Cthulhu game - which sounds very good.

Nope, I'm a PC only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There simply is nothing out there atm. So much so i have re installed morrowind again.
    So many of the rpg of the last two years have been let downs, come back black isle please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

No, that's definetly not the kind of game I'm after at all. From reviews, it's supposedly just a hack'n'slash dungeon trawler, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm after. I want something with a lot of character interaction, a good free-roaming game world, and little or no dungeon trawling.
    A better description would be Diablo2, dumbed down so it can be played on consoles, with smittens of humour in there, while most of the humour leaves a lot to be desired bits are genuinely funny.

But yea, if you want a free roaming RPG, your fairly stumped, you could try 'Arx fatalis', havent played it myself but seen a friend play it briefly and it looked sort of like Morrowind. Anyone know if its any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Arx fatalis is great.

If your a fan of Morrowind you owe it to yourselves to check this out.
    Not as big as Morrowind (Some would say thats not a bad thing) but a great game all the same.

Check this review out..

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4159

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

http://www.mightandmagic.com/us/darkmessiah/teaser/

http://www.atari.com/nwn2/

You should keep an eye on these then.The first one is from the makers of Arx fatalis.

Nope, I'm a PC only man.

Give KOTOR another chance then, esp the first one...
    or if you havent played it and you can put up with the fact its a bit old try System Shock 2 - graphics are ropey now though

• Advertisement

Alrighty, I'll check out Arx Fatalis. Seems to be going quite cheap on amazon, and I might give KOTOR another chance after all.

if you play kOTOR 1 or 2 make sure you patch it, esp KOTOR 2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thaedydal wrote:
    There simply is nothing out there atm. So much so i have re installed morrowind again.
    So many of the rpg of the last two years have been let downs, come back black isle please.

Fear not, Oblivion is coming! Slower than we thought...but it draws near.

Advertisement