Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blushing in public

• 12-11-2005 3:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I often blush when in company and have no idea how to stop it from happening. Even the littlest things set it off. Red cheeks is also common for me. It seems it's become worse in the last while. I feel more anxious these days/constant butterflies in the stomach.

How to combat this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

you have the symptoms of social phobia. look it up on the net. You cant really do anything about it, just accept its happening and continue to enjoy yourself when your socializing/talking. It happens to me aswell but I dont give a $hit anymore, its the best way to deal with it.

I've heard of things you can do medically that can stop the blushing but I wouldnt go that far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Go to your GP there is medication you can take to lessen the symptoms of blushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ando

I don't really feel that people are watching me when I walk down the street to be honest. Also, I play some sports etc, so is it still social phobia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

im like that too, its really annoyin cos it makes u so paranoid

How do you combat it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

just try and not let myself feel too embarrassed if i say/do something stupid or if i feel that people are staring/laughing at me..i think i have gotten better, because ive built up my self confidence a bit , which defintiely lends a helping hand to combatting blushing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

dh143 wrote:
    so is it still social phobia?

imo yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Lads I wouldn't label blushing in public purely social phobia:o

It depends it might just be that your putting wrong thoughts into you,
    It could be just a normal reaction turning into fear and might develop into Social phobia, Social phobia seems a bit harsh, for once a better a word?

I think a lot of fear this when we are in social areas with many people, the thing is most people don't be thinking or wondering if you are blushing, blushing can mean a lot of things, however if you are worriying yourself execessively in public about what others think of you then i'd call teh social phobia, this is not uncommon and in most cases we grow out of it.

my tip is to put good thought into your mind and your body will follow, therefor blushing should calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

And even if you do blush a lot, I mean... there's nothing *wrong* with it. I'm easily embarrassed myself, so I do relate to the feeling though; just try not to care what other people think about you... even if you do blush. I hate it when I blush and I don't want people to see me, but I'm slowly starting to cope with that... you will too :) Good luck...

cheers for the response

It's just so annoying at times, you know. Certain situations flare it up. Recently, my cheeks are redder than normal but I don't know what's causing this. It's a kind of weird sensation on my face which can be irritating.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You should talk to your GP. Also have a drop in on some of the skin clinics around Dublin, they have laser technology now which can reduce redness in the cheeks (a family member had this done and it worked very well, though it cost somewhere around 1000 euro in total). I can get you the name of the actual clinic they went to if you like.

Is there any cream I can get possibly? And what medication can help the situation?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

If you suffer from facial blushing or flushing forget about medication or GPs. I have spent a fortune through the years to combat this problem. It is a vicious circle. Go here http://www.esfbchannel.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general&action=display&num=1072702208&start=0
    Very interesting thread about camouflage cream that hides your blush/flush significantly. It's not makeup and is VERY difficult to see. It might change your life. You can buy test pallets herehttp://www.show-bizcentre.com
    It's actually professional cream thats used to hide tatoos, birth marks, scars, etc. Just though this information may be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

I watched a documentary about a woman who had this problem. It was a purely physical problem (no paranoia or social phobias) so they severed the nerves in her armpits that controlled blushing and sweating on the head/face.

The only side affect was that she could sweat more in other places to compensate for it. On the plus side she could run a marathon and look as cool as a cucumber afterwards..

yeah, it called ETS. And you should read that site where the majority have horror stories about that surgery. You may be lucky to have a hoonymoon period for awhile but the vast majority of ppl have many complications such as excessive sweating being far the worsed. So, think twice about thinking of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

AntiRip wrote:
    yeah, it called ETS. And you should read that site where the majority have horror stories about that surgery. You may be lucky to have a hoonymoon period for awhile but the vast majority of ppl have many complications such as excessive sweating being far the worsed. So, think twice about thinking of that.

hehe they never mentioned that in the documentary (surprise surprise)

Khannie wrote:
    You should talk to your GP. Also have a drop in on some of the skin clinics around Dublin, they have laser technology now which can reduce redness in the cheeks (a family member had this done and it worked very well, though it cost somewhere around 1000 euro in total). I can get you the name of the actual clinic they went to if you like.

I've had this (Laser) done over the course of the last year and it's been vey successful.

I used to have permanently red cheeks which used to go an almost purple color when I blushed.Total nightmare.

Now they're totally gone, and i'd very rarely ever blush now.

Be careful with that snipping nerves thing, that lawyer who died from it in Dublin is a reason to be sceptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

i know the feeling everytime i talk too someone new i end up blushing, not that i noticed, i was told im turning bright red, also happens if i try to explain anything to a a large group of people who i do know, but i would never consider medication why would anyone bother unless its happening randomly and is unrelated to your emational state that would be pointless

Rednomore wrote:
    I've had this (Laser) done over the course of the last year and it's been vey successful.

I used to have permanently red cheeks which used to go an almost purple color when I blushed.Total nightmare.

Now they're totally gone, and i'd very rarely ever blush now.

Could you provide more details - where you got it done, price, number of sessions required, etc? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AntiRip wrote:
    If you suffer from facial blushing or flushing forget about medication or GPs.
    Rather than talk about alternative medicine, it is much more balanced to consider complimentary medicine. While modern medicine doesn't have all the answers, alternative medicine has fewer still.

OP beware of anyone who says "don't go to doctor". Instead look at both and discuss one side with the other.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    Rather than talk about alternative medicine, it is much more balanced to consider complimentary medicine. While modern medicine doesn't have all the answers, alternative medicine has fewer still.

OP beware of anyone who says "don't go to doctor". Instead look at both and discuss one side with the other.

Whos talking about alternative medicine? I'm talking about a camouflage cream. Grand go to a doctor if you have permanent redness as it may be due to high blood pressure, rosacea, etc. and there is very effective treatments such as laser. But if you suffer from blushing which I presume myself is purely phycological and a vicious cycle because once you start thinking you are going to blush you will. By hiding it you may at least break the cycle and get some confidence back.

I often blush in public despite not being remotely embarresed..it can happen on a night out, or when im laughing, or sitting at my desk in work...for no apparant reason...i can also get warm and flusterd...if im in anyway self concious it can happen too...ironically, it rarely happens when im embarresed, but sometimes i get embarresed because it's happening...what can i do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I think it's really cute when girls blush. But think of it another way, what if nothing could make you blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I go red in the checks all the time, just for little things! It doesn't bother me as much anymore! You get used to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

These things tend to be physological, pills and treatments are not a good idea.

The way to cure is is to reduce your social anxiety. To do this you need to increase your confidence. There are loads of books on this, just search on amazon for 'confidence'. Paul Mc Kenna has a new one out:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0593055357/qid=1135467216/sr=8-14/ref=pd_ka_14/026-3261336-2966010

Follow the steps and you'll be sorted out in a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 puppyhead

it could be that your thinking about it so much. eg if your about to walk over to a group of friends you might feel anxious that your face is about to go red. coz of this fear in your head your face will light up as a result.

maybe try stop thiking about it so much so u wont get your butter files in your stomach and then go red.

no one really cares if someone goes red anyway. your not doing anything wrong.

hey im going unreg for this even though im a member of boards. i go red all the time. it is ruining my life. on medication at the moment so it helps alot. just wondering can rednomore tell us a little more about laser. i would be very interesting in getting this done. no one understands what it is like. i have only even seen two other people with this condition

hey i totally undersatnd what you are going through but trust me my condition is worst.

for the past two years i have had a body odour problem even though i wash daily and use deodorant. i got botox injections in my armpitt. it cost 400 euro. and it didnt work. i would carefully consider the laser treatment. i wouldnt jump into anything.

i would advice see a psygoloist. i did for awhile and it reducd my anxiety about smelling and helped the problem big time.

see i know how you feel that its ruining your life. but your not offending anyone else. my smell does. its so embarrassing, im parnoid people are talking about me all the time.

going red doesnt hurt offend other people atleast.

puppyhead, you may be interested in taking a look at a book called "Hard to Stomach" by Dr. John McKenna, the next time you're in a bookstore. On pg. 31 there is a case study of a person with strong body odour, and how digestive problems may play some part in it, and how they can be treated. Incidentally, the author lives somewhere in Kildare, and I believe he takes appointments too.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks UnregOT.
    Ill do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

This used to happen to me quite a bit, what I did was take a deep breath when I felt the warning "hot" glow, hold the breath, and most of the time I didn't go red!

After a while, knowing that I could control it, simply stopped it happening alltogether.

There is of course many reasons why you would blush, this is merely my story, hope it helps.

Good luck.

Advertisement