Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What colour is "real" Strawberry Jam?

• 12-11-2005 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

By "real" I mean home-made with no additives. I don't make jam myself but I have memories from my childhood of various Aunt's and grannies giving us pots of home-made strawberry jam and it was always brown in colour.

How come every pot of strawberry jam in the shops is a vivid red. I guess the cheap jams are probably loaded with dies and stuff but even the high class jams that claim to have no additives all have a very un-strawberry like red colour.

Case in point - I have a jar of Folain Strawberry jam in my hand. Folain generally make very fine jams with 50% fruit content and the ingredients listed are: "Strawberries, Sugar, Pectin and Citric acid".

Where then does the deep red colour come from???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah, dark brown was what my Mum used to make. Maybe the red dye is such a small amount that it isn't listed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't remember it being brown. Deep, dark red maybe..but never brown :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My granny's homemade strawberry jam was always a browny red colour. But the raspberry was always bright reddy pink. Funny how one would keep it's colour better than the other.

Advertisement