Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing your mind..

Options
  • 12-11-2005 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was browsing through an estate looking for a house (off someone on the for sale forum acutally:rolleyes: ). Anyway, I indicated left and just started to turn when I changed my mind and kept going, as I started to move back to the center of the road I got a beep from the driver behind me as it overtook me. I didn't indicate coming back into the center of the road, as your not supposed to. Nothing happened, just a beep. Just curious as to who is responsible if the car hit me? As far as I know, they are as they should have been aware of any sudden change of mind of the driver ahead etc etc. Although, to be honest, I didn't notice them about to overtake me which is lack of observation on my part and something I will be more aware of in the future.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Afaik it would have been you fault because you began the manouver and then pulled out of it, even if you indicated I think you'd still have been at fault. If you had of just indicated to turn, but not actually turned in, and he had tried to pass you, it would have been his fault.

edit: the correct thing to do is to always complete any manouver you begin, where safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'd say it would be 50/50 (so the insurance wouldn't have to pay out) because he should have kept his distance, and sounds like he was overtaking at, or too close to a junction.

I reckon stevenmu is also correct, in that you should always complete any manouver you begin, where safe to do so. That said I have no idea what traffic laws actually state in this case.

So 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

A guy round the corner from me did exactly what you describbed in his Supra. He claimed from the other guys insurance and won the court case. I was told by the passenger at the time de didn't even look or indicate before pulling out. Personally i'd say it was all his fault but he got away with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I guess maybe it it depends on what stage you change your mind, i you only pull in a little bit and then come back out and someone was so close to you they hit you, it could be their fault. On the other hand if you almost fully turn in, and then do a u-turn back out, I'd say it's your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well I indicated and was about to turn up until the point where I could see that neither wall on either side of the road had a sign saying the name of the road so I only pulled left a tiny bit and then pulled back out, this was in an estate and it was a side road basically the road we were on just went straight ahead or to the left, 2 way. That's a good rule to follow about once you begin, complete.

• Advertisement
Advertisement