Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business for LC

Options
  • 12-11-2005 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm in 5th Year and have decided to take up Business on my own (outside school). I would say I am quite good at Bus and I'm willing to put in the work. I think i will use Business Today. Anyone got any advice/tips?
    How quick should I be going through the book and what order?
    Should I try finish it early in 6th year and practise papers?
    How exactly does the ABQ question work?
    Any general tips on studying it / answering questions (I've heard some people use bullet points)?

As well (for when I'm in sixth year), is there a way of getting exam papers from before the EdCo books?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Namneerg

Anyone?

Also, anyone know if you can get the Business magazines sent to you?
    (Sorry for the multitude of questions!)

Bumpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

do accounting, way better,

Does anyone do Business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Its boring.I did it outside school too there's a fcukload of learning in it, accounting is way better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

A lad I know did business himself and got an A. If you have any interest at all in the real world of business, then you should have the motivation to get through the course.

I think the keys to getting on well will be a) Be strict and ruthless when allocating time to do the work at home, b) Yes.. Aim to give yourself plenty of time in 6th year to do all of the past papers out, c) use the revision books on the market, and d) Get yourself some grinds.. maybe once a month or so just to have someone keep you on track.

Its very doable.. best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I do business, and use Business today. It's a horribly boring subject, or at least I think so. But if you're looking for high points and have no problem with putting in the hours, then it's a good choice. Obviously, I can't compare it to any of the other books, but Business today seems like a fairly good book. In class, we basically just go through it so learning on your own shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, the only way to study business is by simply learning off endless lists. Pretty much everything in the subject can be broken down into a list, and learning off those lists properly is the first step to getting a good mark, and it is a very boring step indeed. After you know the information, all you have to do is be able to write it up properly. Write your answers in point form, and include examples. Examples, I'm told, are the key to an A so be sure you include them - no matter how simplistic.

You shouldn't have any problem in finishing the course by early 6th year (there is very little that is difficult to understand), and working with exam questions is a good way to prepare for the LC, so that sounds like a good strategy yeah. The ABQ is just the application of what you've learnt on the course to 'real life' scenarios - it's quite simple, if you've gotten used to writing examples into your answers for the rest of the test, then it's easy. The one thing you must find out is what units the ABQ will be taken from in '07. For me, it's 3, 4 and 5. There is no choice in the ABQ so you have to be sure you know the relevant units inside-out or else you will be stuck. Outside of that, there is quite a bit of choice. Remember, however, that 8 of 10 short questions have to be answered, so you can't leave out too much of the course when studying. Another tip I'll recommend is to write out all the definitions, the new words, the short operations like ratios and learn them off for the short question section.

I have no idea about that business magazine thing, I'm afraid. Of course, I haven't sat the LC yet so all this could be useless. But good luck, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

im doing business this year!Never did it foe the JC but its pretty simple.just read through the book and learn off def. and stuff.go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 LivingDead

Just learn off the stuff that's in the book and repeat it all in the LC. Business should be no problem. I got an A1 in it in higher level this year.

Advertisement