Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Laptops and have eircom line -want BB

• 12-11-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm living in Artane Dublin. I have a laptop and so does my flatmate. We have a bogstandard eircom phone line.

We ideally want an always on BB service with a router in the house that we can pick up via wireless card in our laptop pcmcia slots.

I have a look at the market. Eircom seem to offer unlimited BB for €26-29 (8Gb limit). BT seem to offer it for €40 including line rental.

Which should we go for? Are they really all the same. For ease of use would Eircom be best since we have a line already or is BT worth a go? Changing line number isn't an issue.

Just like to hear what people say based on our 2 laptop and wireless requirement above. ie, Eircom set up a router in the house.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Bt would definately be the way to go. With 2 users it might be worth considering a 2mb connection.
    BT's current offering for new connections is:
    1mb = €25 p/m (incl. line rental) for the first 4 months, increasing to €40 after that. 12GB cap, 6 month min. contract.
    2mb = €35 p/m (incl. line rental) for the first 4 months, increasing to €50 after that. 24GB cap, 6 month min. contract.
    Smart could also be an option for you if your exchange is live. 2mb = €35 p/m with free line rental.
    You would also have to buy a wireless router to use with both of the above.
    Eircom give you one but their monthly sub plus line rental is more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks, I check out if smart telecom support our area once I get hold of the phone number. 35 / 2 -> €17 each shared can't be too bad! :) Exc. VAT I suppose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hamster wrote:
    Thanks, I check out if smart telecom support our area once I get hold of the phone number. 35 / 2 -> €17 each shared can't be too bad! :) Exc. VAT I suppose.

No it includes the VAT!

If you find out what exchange you are on you can find out if Smart is available to you no need to wait on the actual number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

hamster wrote:

Plug in a phone, dial 199000 listen and write it down.

TimTim wrote:
    Plug in a phone, dial 199000 listen and write it down.

I am at work now... that was what I meant by later...

• Advertisement

Hi Everyone,

After looking at our opinions we have decided to plummet for BT Broadband Plus (2Mb). Smart Telecom is not enabled in our area.

Scenario:

1. Our setup is two WinXP home laptops. Both have PCMCIA and integrated NICs
    2. We need to connect to our modem via wireless.
    3. BT offer a dual USB/Ethernet modem. We can not use this - laptops in different rooms.

What equipment would we need to connect to BT's offer? I'm imagine we need two wireless pcmcia cards and a router of some kind?

Questions:
    1. Has anyone been able to use BT with a wireless modem and Router combo?

2. Would the router respond equally between both laptops? For example, user 1 starts a heavy download - would user 2 suffer if he started 2 mins later - or would it equalize?

3. I heard a lot of routers and modems clash - Is there any recommendations (like in Q1)? Maybe from Komplett.ie ? I see quite a few but it seems like a lottery.. for BT specific.

4. Would I need to get the wireless modem and router first and connect to these directly by a usb/ethernet means rather than BT's to get started - if I want to use wireless on these? ie, the initial setup.

5. BT don't make this clear - do they use ADSL?

Advertisement