Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Cosplay?

Options
  • 12-11-2005 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering how many people here cosplay at conventions and such.
    I was planning on going to the EirtaKon to check out some costumes, but I couldn't make it (damn stomach flu)

Also, I was wondering if anyone here had gotten a costume comisioned for them, and then pass a referance on. I got ripped off not to recently and want to get a reputable person to do it this time.

Do you Cosplay? 28 votes

Yes!
    0% 0 votes
    No!
    25% 7 votes
    I'd like to!
    75% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

No I wouldn't cosplay for the simple reason that I'd look like a tool wearing an outfit of one of my favourite characters from anime. I can just imagine it now, a 22 year old bloke dressing up in a red velvet overcoat and hat to look like Alucard from Hellsing, think of the ridicule!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Laguna wrote:
    No I wouldn't cosplay for the simple reason that I'd look like a tool wearing an outfit of one of my favourite characters from anime. I can just imagine it now, a 22 year old bloke dressing up in a red velvet overcoat and hat to look like Alucard from Hellsing, think of the ridicule!
    Hey... you weren't the guy dressed in a red velvet overcoat and hat to look like Alucard from Hellsing at the anime quiz last night were you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Amry

As a general rule, I don't take active steps to redicule and embarass myself; things like that happen regularly enough without my intervention. For every delicious, well-made cosplayer, there's a tonne of other misguided souls who actually think they look good in what appears to be a collection of junkyard refuse glued together. Run a search for "Manfaye" and you'll understand my concern.

That said, I wouldn't mind dressing up as one of the Shinigami Captains in Bleach. I'd have one made if I knew what it's called :(
    0617_bleach_01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TriFrog

I've considered cosplaying, and will pobably do it... but.. really one just can't be too self-constious and realize it's just for fun really. Alot of people really complain if things are not screen acurate... Like if the color is wrong or you overlooked a minor detail even... I would think the first time time to use a costume, the worse it's got to be, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ChrisCross

Was surfing through cosplay.com earlire today and some of the costumes were so cool and inventive that I've decided I HAVE to do it at some point. Sephiroth being a character I'd like to do.

Edit: just realised the innuendo in that. heh.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Before you even attempt to cosplay, think to yourself: Do I actually vaguely resemble this character?

Because I can tell you, there's little more pathetic than seeing a short, rotund man masquerading as the lithe, mysterious and most importantly tall king of the undead :)

Simple really,

How not to cosplay:
    Character:
    character.jpg
    Cosplayer:
    cosplayer.jpg

How to cosplay:
    Character:
    character.jpg
    Cosplayer:
    cosplayer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ChrisCross

Before you even attempt to cosplay, think to yourself: Do I actually vaguely resemble this character?

Yes. Yes I do.
    With a GHD, a big-f-off-sword and a long coat I'm good to go. Not to mention a bit of dark makeup round the ol eyes. ;)

But bad cosplaying is funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No!

Not that I wouldn't kick everyone else's collective asses at it though. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dr robotnik?

Ya I dress up as goku a lot, that classic orange martial arts uniform ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Zanza

Laguna wrote:
    Hmm, dressing up like Alucard, sexy ;p

As for me, I never did it; beside the fact that we don't have convensions here, I can imagine myself cosplaying but on "reasonable boundaries".
    I mean, I might dress up just like the 2nd guy Cult posted a picture of (NOT the girly one :p).. simple cosplay..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alchemy00115

Hello. I'm looking for a cosplay writer that will write a short skit on naruto. Your name will be in the credits. Keep it clean, please. This has to be rated PG for all ages. I might also perform this at the A-kon in Dallas Texas in a few years. You would just probably get the video first and your name in the credits.

The maximum of characters is five)

Must have Sasuke and Sakura. (You can add characters if you wish)

Must have a dance scene. (You don't have to make up dance steps but you can if you wish)

Keep It Clean

Must have humor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alchemy00115

And to answer your question, No I don't cosplay, but I'd give anything to. I don't have the money for costumes and my friends wouldn't commit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

You gotta have Gaara in it for one...PICK ME! PICK ME!...just need to find me one of those sand barrel things like the one he keeps all his sand in.
    Must have a dance scene. (You don't have to make up dance steps but you can if you wish)

...actually on second thoughts maybe not ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mokong

are there even any such events in Ireland?

I'd love to try it in Japan (that way people would understand and wouldn't think you're a freak)

I'd cospaly as either Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia or Link from Legend of Zelda if i could also get the swords, not just the clothes. Or Ed Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist if i could make the automail arm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~ams/eirtakon/
    There was at Eirtakon and there was a competition and pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Cosplay pwns...
    At the anime convention, I was Dark Chii...But I just wore my own clothes, a headband with the ears on it(one fell off...) and I had "01" on my arm and "Chobit" on my leg in black eyeliner...
    Also, I have cat ears and a tail which I wear randomly...I also wore them to an anime convention.
    I wear my gothic lolita maid outfit and 5 inch platform boots into town sometimes...I have a headdress and all...But that's not really cosplay. Ah well!

Don't mind my face...Ick, I look fat.
    Animals293.jpg
    Animals292.jpg
    xD Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crash_zero

Cosplay is a bit of a laugh but yes dont go dressed as Asuka if you a 40 year old fat woman espically if you are going for the out fit she wore when she and shinji had to do the dance rotinue the concept of cutting my eyes out with a rusty bred knife suddenly seems appeling after seeing that image on one of the cosplay sites like wise if you 4 foot tall dont go as spike spiegal. I personally wouldnt go cosplaying for the fact that i 5'10 and could shed a stone or six. As outfits go if your good with a needel and thread modify garments to suit your needs dont go for something like a plug suit unless you are willing to put up with the discomfert of wearing pvc panneling thats how i would make a plug suit for some one but it would suck to wear it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

crash_zero wrote:
    Cosplay is a bit of a laugh but yes dont go dressed as Asuka if you a 40 year old fat woman.

Unless you're cosplaying the scene where Asukas suit expands into a balloon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm actually considering dressing as Alucard this halloween... kind of smacks of effort though:p

i'd be perfect as Spike as well actually. 6'3" and skinny as hell... all i need is a semi-fro and some tight jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

tman wrote:
    i'm actually considering dressing as Alucard this halloween... kind of smacks of effort though:p

i'd be perfect as Spike as well actually. 6'3" and skinny as hell... all i need is a semi-fro and some tight jeans

Spike is a pretty cool looking character but i think its all about his pose and attitude that makes him look that way... dont think anyone would recognize you as spike if you or anyone was dressed up as him.

Decided im dressing up at naruto or gaara this halloween! Where do people who cosplay get their gear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Alisha

For the last two years I made my boyfriend dreamm like a forest elf at the Lucca Comix (It's a convention held in Lucca, Italy, every november), and for next november I0m planning wth some friends of mine to make a team dressed up like characters from suzue miuchi's glass mask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Aziraphale

I'd cosplay, but I don't know any RL people in the same country who've actually heard of anime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

The idea was appealing when I was about fifteen but now many years have passed and I am old enough and wise enough to know that no....just no. Not for me. I would look like an utter knob.

That said, I do wear lolita quite often, but my love of lolita is very much separate from my enjoyment of anime in that I liked lolita before anime, and said love spawned from an adoration of 18th/19th century clothing rather than a belief that I MUST dress like those schmad Japanese girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 t_rom/reaper

depends on who as id say ichigo from bleach would be an interesting one to do

but like some cos play is just silly like yu-gi-oh charecters that have gravity deffieng hair
    and lets just say any one whos cosd a yu-gi-oh character is pretty mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

I'm goin to tomo dachi as squall from ff8 yeah i know its been done but i could easily pull it off and i already look kinda like him.
    i agree with the people sayin you shouldn't try it if its gonna look crap.
    my brother went to eirtakon as reno from ff7 and fair play to him but he looked nuthin like him.. he was talkin about doin ilpallazzo (excel saga) for tomo dachi and i just cringed.. ive kinda turned him towards ed elric full metal alchemist but he's a little too well built to pull it off.. im all for havin a laugh but jaysus..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 t_rom/reaper

hey ed aint muscular at all its just important for your brother to to a good job on the arms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

oh sorry i phrased that wrong my bro is pretty well built which is why ed isnt exactly suited to him but he already has long blonde hair. yeah its just the arm that needs to be done properly. anyone else he could do?

Advertisement