Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear Changing Questions!

Options
  • 12-11-2005 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

...this may shock a few :eek: but... can someone explain to me the changing of gears on a five gear bike!

can you go from neutral to first into second and then back to neutral? How do you know what gear your in? and if your not sure of the gear, is there a way to go all the way back to neutral...last thing I want is to kill my bike!

Thanks for entertaining this!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There should be a light on the bike that tells you when your in neutral...is it a new bike - if you don't know how to ride you should consider some lessons! Anyhoos you can go from neutral to first and then all the way up like you ask. You don't need to know what gear you are in - you need to listen to the bike - if it's really revving then it's telling you to go up, if it's rattling like a bag of hammers then the gear is too high and you need to go down. Make sure you are slowing down/speading up thru the gears - it's dangerous to fly down from 5th to 1st...You should take the bike to a quiet road and have a practice - it's seems complicated now but in a month from now you won't have to think about it at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

www.irta.ie

These guys will tell you how to change the gears, when to change the gears and how not to fall/get knocked off.

Anyway, your gear box has six positions. First Gear, Neutral, Second Gear, Third Gear, Fourth Gear and Fifth gear.

Starting in neutral you push the lever down to get into first. Pushing it up will take you up past neutral into second. Up again, to third, up again to fourth, again to fifth.

Down takes you to fourth, down again, third, again to second down again to first.

Stop and then tap it up and you'll find neutral.
    I tried to find a picture online but googles letting me down tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Here's an idea of how it works on a bike. The picture is basic but understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Thanks for all the replies, very informative! Was definately going to get lessons since I dont trust myself at all yet..the bike is sitting comfortably under a rain proof cover in the garden!!..unscratched!

Just one other question though!

Philip provided a link to a site that gave a pictoral representation of the gears..and in the passage it said that the clutch is generally only needed when changing from neutral to first and for any gears after that it isn't needed...this is rubbish right?? I figured this actually goes against what the clutch is for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

scorphonic wrote:
    Philip provided a link to a site that gave a pictoral representation of the gears..and in the passage it said that the clutch is generally only needed when changing from neutral to first and for any gears after that it isn't needed...this is rubbish right?? I figured this actually goes against what the clutch is for!!!
    Well, not necessarily. The gears will change on a lot of bikes without pulling the clutch in. I wouldn't recommend it though from the POV of keeping control of your vehicle and reducing wear on the engine/gear parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, my bike slips into gear without the clutch but it's better to use it. It's possible to slip a car into gear without the clutch too, but owing to the light mass of a bike drivetrain it's a lot easier to get it right on a bike, but will cause more wear and tear to parts other than the clutch pack.

Advertisement