Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac Mini .... crash and ... crash

• 12-11-2005 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭

I got a Mac Mini as a present a couple of months ago and decided to use it as a media centre type thingy. Anyway, with my music library, my photos and new episodes of Lost transferred to it everything was running fine. However, running xvid files on it seemed to be a problem. Divx is supposedly not compatible with Tiger, although it runs just fine on the PowerBook, so I used VLC, but the damned thing still crashes as it plays.

When running QT Player I get the darkened screen with the "Restart your mac" instruction" as the video repeats the last millisecond again and again but with VLC it stops and displays a load of letters and numbers across the top left of the screen as it repeats again (like a scratched CD). I don't seem to have the same problem with iTunes. This also happened when playing a DVD. It doesn't seem to happen at any particular time on whatever video file I'm running, it's just completely random.

Has anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking it's a hardware problem but would like a few opinions before I pack it up and send it back.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I had a similiar problem, with a power book, it ran great on 10.3, but when I upgraded to 10.4 (and added and additional 512 mb ram) it started to play up. At first it was ok, and happened maybe once a week, but it progressively got worse until it happened as soon as I turned it on.

I tried everything, eventually I sent it to Mactivate, who said the logic boards needed to be replaced.

Not sure if it will help, but there you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

DubTony wrote:
    Has anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking it's a hardware problem but would like a few opinions before I pack it up and send it back.

Thanks in advance.

Repair permissions? Try reinstalling the System software? How much RAM do you have in the mini? might not be enough to run VLC well, I think it's ram hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

try Mplayer ??? .. i find it works better with some divX's and more Obscure codecs....

VLC .. great when it works but i find mplayer better, faster and less crashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Update to lastest mac 10.4.3

Remove VLC from applications and from library, download latest VLC, and copy into applications.

See does that fix it?

Advertisement