Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav experiences in Ireland

Options
  • 12-11-2005 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

If you have bought or use a Sat Nav system, I would appreciate your experiences of using it in Ireland (particularly Dublin). The missus is at me to get one for her coz she's always getting lost in the car!!....However, Im not convinced (based on stories that I was told years ago) that they really work all that well (particularly given that we dont have ZIP or postcodes).

If you have one, can you tell me how you have found it?....how accurate is it etc...how usable is it etc...

Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

One of the neighbours gave me a demo (he sells them for around 450 Eurons). It was one of those hand held jobbies that stick to the inside windscreen and gives verbal directions.

We put in a couple of addresses around Dublin and it found them without problem and mapped out what seemed to be correct routes to them. We didn't actually go driving, but it seemed to be the dogs proverbials.

I don't know how good it would be outside the major cities, though. And with all the new roads, how often are these things updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

What make/model did he demo?...
    Am also curious about how the updates work....

Cheers,
    Jab

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I use the Navman 4400 with an Ipaq PDA. It's 2 years old now and the maps are a little dated now. Updating them is expensive too. Coverage of ROI is pretty basic but there is better coverage now in newer versions. There is loads of different types of software available you can even get software that will work on your bluetooth mobile phone from TOM TOM. I'm a little unsure of TOM TOM about their coverage of Ireland as they don't really mention us in their ad's

The best would have to be a Garmin they have very good coverage of Ireland and they have a huge selection of devices

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jabaroon wrote:
    What make/model did he demo?...
    Am also curious about how the updates work....

Cheers,
    Jab

Crap, can't remember the make, throw out some names and I will see if it will jog my memory.

The maps are held on an SD card. So presumably, this card is read-only. I would imagine you would have to get a new SD card for updated maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭posiedon

I have a Navman 510i which i use a lot in the UK, and there it's great.
    However I tried it out in Dublin, and although it did get me there, it was difficult to find addresses without having postcides, and it didn't seem to know any of the more recent roads, especially the M50 seemed to stop at Tallaght. Can probably get an updated map, but I don't use it here otherwise.

But works a dream in london, I used to always get lost without it, but now I go anywhere with ease.

• Advertisement
Advertisement