Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Vs Argentina

• 12-11-2005 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭

I know its a friendly, but god damn what a game of football.
    1-1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

1-1 in a great game so far, for thoes interested ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

it is a great game so far isnt it....has a real world cup feel which is unusual for a friendly, very entertaining....remains to be seen whether the same teams will be out for the 2nd half!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

They will be, sven wouldnt dare mess with an england argentina game ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great football from both teams, you'd hardly know it was a "meaningless friendly" :D

I put a fiver on Crespo to open the scoring and the game to finnish 1-1, so I'm praying for a dull second half! If it comes in that €145

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Good game so far, both teams attacking so well. Argentina look better setup and more balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I like watching Argentina. They're my kinda team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Come on England. Good game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

mike65 wrote:
    I put a fiver on Crespo to open the scoring and the game to finnish 1-1, so I'm praying for a dull second half! If it comes in that €145

Mike.

Hard luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

yup but well taken goal was like a training ground move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

that Argentina keeper is spilling saves all over the place

• Advertisement

game over 2-1 to the Argies, Crouch just came on ;-) , good game all round though, best England played for a while

forget the last post, come on England 2-2 bloody great effort from rooney just before that

3-2 england!!!

England 3-2 Argentina, What a finish from Owen, great Win and well deseverd in a great match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

have to say thats the best match ive seen in a long time

Woo Hooooo!!!!!! What a game. I'm definitely out with my England jersey tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

From a possible cruz peno claim, to up the pitch and owen scoring.

Great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

em ok...

Anyway, fantastic match...they fully deserved it!

Note to manager of Argentina. Keep Riquelme on the pitch! :)

Great game. Sven can breath easy for another 4 months now

I lost a fiver and I don't care! :D

That Michael Owen is bloody useless, invisible for 85 mins. ;) I remember when he could'nt hit a planet with his head.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I hope that reminds the england fans what their team can do in this world cup, regardless of who's their coach. If they can avoid brazil they will do very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Amazing "friendly".. one of the best I've ever seen.
    I thought Owen wasnt even playing til he popped up to score those two.... he seemed to barge poor Crouchy off the last goal!
    Joe Cole looked brilliant... and Beckham played well.
    Gerrard looked out of position for most of the game... still played well when asked.
    They still look a bit dodgy at the back though, but I'll put that down to the class of Argentina.
    Well done England.

By the way, anyone else notice the adboards for the RAF and think they were slightly inappropriate given the opposition? :p

Yeah I was wondering why the RAF ads were around at a game against Argentina

whiskeyman wrote:
    By the way, anyone else notice the adboards for the RAF and think they were slightly inappropriate given the opposition? :p
    Not to mention all Mottys talk about aerial bombardment once Crouch was introduced :cool:

I didn't actually see much of the match. How did Rio F. play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Anybody see crouch fall on his face for Owens second goal? Cracking game, i had a feeling they could still come back and win. Riquelme was magical, a steal for villareal and a big loss for barcelona. Was dissapointed at not getting to see Messi tonight, though.

whiskeyman wrote:
    They still look a bit dodgy at the back though, but I'll put that down to the class of Argentina.

Well Luke Young is only keping Gary Nevilles seat warm and Wayne Bridge has'nt played any first team football since he recovered from injury so I'd cut them some slack. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How did Rio F. play?
    Not very well.
    ball watching for the first goal and knocked the ball into Crespo's path and nearly killed Robinson for the second goal ,colliding into him.
    Out of his depth.

Anybody see crouch fall on his face for Owens second goal? .
    yeah... poor Crouchy!! Owen seemed to get his arm in front of him too as he went for the header.

Fair point about the defense Mike... played much better tonight than past couple of games anyway.

With 5 mins left, I texted my English cousins "dont worry, you'll win it 3-2"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'd hate to see what they'd be like if they actually won the World Cup. I think it was Ray Clemence who was jumping around like a mad man on the touch line for an equalizer in a FRIENDLY. Let's wait until next summer and we'll see what happens when the pressure is really on.

I'd hate to see what they'd be like if they actually won the World Cup. I think it was Ray Clemence who was jumping around like a mad man on the touch line for an equalizer in a FRIENDLY. Let's wait until next summer and we'll see what happens when the pressure is really on.
    I thought the Argy fans / bench celebrated more when they scored tbh...
    Eng Vs Argy is always a big game given the history...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not very well.
    ball watching for the first goal and knocked the ball into Crespo's path and nearly killed Robinson for the second goal ,colliding into him.
    Out of his depth.

I thought he played very well...mind you when i see the replays of the goals etc, i will be sure to take it back if i am wrong...trust me.

I wouldn't mind england winning the world cup, but on second thoughts imagine what the fans would be like, not to mention the tabloids."Is football the new cricket?". Thoughts of the Ashes and the Rugby world cup are the reason nobody wants to see them winning in Germany. They're still banging on about '66.

I think Irish people bang on about 'them' banging on about 66 more than they actually bang on about 66 in the first place.

Bang on!

even tonight motty was banging out about winning the world cup ffs

• Advertisement

So what if they do? If Ireland won the world cup do you think we'd go "Well that's quite an achievement, now lets never speak of it again"

even tonight motty was banging out about winning the world cup ffs
    I still fail to see why we get worked up about this.... they're fully entitled to imo.
    They've qualified well and put an excellent performance tonight and have a very strong squad.
    If anything, they consistantly underperform.
    What do you expect them to say?
    They have more than a "chance" to win it, thats for sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i just think people get sick of teams living on past glories as a shamrock rovers fan i love living on past glories so do all the liverpool boys so lets just let them bang on and direct them slowly to the "special bus"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Great game although it wa very harsh on Argentina as I thought overall they played better then England.
    Draw would have been a fairer result. Hope the Fracne - Germany game will be as good

Seriously though does anybody think the BBC commentary is terrible?

Rooney goes on a run, and Motson also cums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

whiskeyman wrote:
    They've qualified well

Hmm, you must not of seen any of their qualifiers, including one of the most embarrasing defeats in their history against N.Ireland.

After almost every game the British press were having a go at the team and Sven. Hardly call that qualifying well. They made a pigs ear out of the easiest group of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I feel asleep with about 6 minutes to go. :( Excellent game, but the weekend just caught up with me early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Hmm, you must not of seen any of their qualifiers, including one of the most embarrasing defeats in their history against N.Ireland.

After almost every game the British press were having a go at the team and Sven. Hardly call that qualifying well. They made a pigs ear out of the easiest group of the lot.

Ya i'd agree with ya there. If Brazil(a true contender) had been in that group they would have laughed their way through it, probably only dropping a few points at most. I can't see England winning it, might have been possible if they had a better manager, can't stand sven, feckin Mr. Burns lookalike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

*shakes head*

FFS, they're damned when they play with no passion against Denmark and are thumped 4-1, yet when they play like they mean it and beat contenders for WC06 in a very competitive match (history on and off the field made sure of that) they're lashed out of it as well.

Sounds to me like no matter what the response of their team/back room staff they'd be damned by some on here.

That Michael Owen, eh? Can't understand why Newcastle spent so much on him at all at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

will they win the WC?

Ah nothing like an England game to bring out the whacky Paddies eh?

England qualified from an easy group by topping it. They screwed up against a poxy if 'up-for-it' NI team, it did'nt matter as it turns out. Such is life.

Brazil would no doubt have romped it, instead they had to play Argentina who beat them 3-1 in the South Amercian group and topped the group on same points. As England beat Argentina I guess that makes them better than Brazil (using stupid footie fan logic).

Mike.

ps Motty should be herded off to another less visible station like say Channel 5.

ENgland have a decent chance to win, as much as Holland, Germany, France, Italy and south american teams. Will they win, dunno but if they play each match like the one tonight then they just might do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

working tonight so missed the game but its on sky at 1am,may get the beers ready:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

blu_sonic wrote:
    will they win the WC?

On tonight's performance...maybe.

Rio was poor, if Sven insists on playing him ahead of far worthier contenders (rSol, King, Carragher) at CB he'll be a liability (on current form anyway)

The midfield is still the real challange, Cole was great when he came on but for every good game he has a really crap game. King as holding midfielder is a bizarre choice when he could have Carrick, Parker, or But playing there in the role they fill for their club team week in week out.

SGE is a fool, if they do win it will be in spite of him rather than because of. Still, they have to be seen as contenders along with Brazil, Argentina, Holland, Italy (especially afer tonight's performance) and the German's.
    mike65 wrote:

ps Motty should be herded off to another less visible station like say Channel 5.

Can he bring le Saux with him? For a supposedly intelligent footballer, he's got precious little of substance to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

county wrote:
    working tonight so missed the game but its on sky at 1am,may get the beers ready:D

Same here, pity a mate had to text me the scores in work earlier... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

On Sky now missed it earlier was some proper football on rte 2;)

Cracking 1st 15 minutes so far.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement