Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Vs Argentina

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great game "so far" alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mark wrote:

hehheehe best name ever :D

./good player too

kdjac

Mark wrote:
    Brazil 8-0 UAE

Good to see Brazil took it easy.

Thanks for the links mate.

Well how about that for a conveniently placed ad on Sky's behalf? Right between the two Owen goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Hmm, you must not of seen any of their qualifiers, including one of the most embarrasing defeats in their history against N.Ireland.

After almost every game the British press were having a go at the team and Sven. Hardly call that qualifying well. They made a pigs ear out of the easiest group of the lot.
    What are you on about?

I wouldn't call dropping five points out of ten games making a "pigs ear" out of qualifying. Do you know anything about football? Obviously not.

To be honest they did pretty well considering they were paired in a group that was almost like a derby for them for most matches week in week out. But I suppose some people will harp on like they have a clue regardless of what really goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Do you know anything about football? Obviously not.

Obviously. Forgive me whilst I bow down to your superior knowledge of the game oh wise one. :rolleyes:

Nobody informed me your opinion on all things football was the governing authority on these boards.

It's my opinion you can take it or leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

All their recent good performances have been with a holding midfielder (USA, Colombia, Argentina), even if this one was for an hour. :) Sven still won't cop on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mark wrote:

Is Ronaldo not getting a game with brazil at all, or is it cos its a friendly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just watching the game on sky sports now. Riquelme had a shot near the start and robinson pulled off a fairly standard save. The commentator (m tyler?) come sout with "but for Robinson, requelme would have scored". Well done martin, but playing with goalkeepers has been fairly standard practice for a while now.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote:
    All their recent good performances have been with a holding midfielder (USA, Colombia, Argentina), even if this one was for an hour. :) Sven still won't cop on though.

Sven doesn't pay attention to anything, if he did Rio Ferdinand wouldn't be first choice.

Yesterday's formation looks to be the one that would work best for them, though I'd have my doubts about the full backs (Neville and Cole are both needed back asap), Young and Bridge didn't offer enough going forward so the three CMs had a lot of ground to cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mark thanks for the vids of the Spanish game, great second goal from Luis Garica. Good to see the Liverpool players doing well.

Mikew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I cant find a link yet but the UN had an observer that last nights Argentina - England game and he is highly critical of what he saw. Namely the singing of anti-England songs in the Argentinian dressing room before the game.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

mike65 wrote:
    I cant find a link yet but the UN had an observer that last nights Argentina - England game and he is highly critical of what he saw. Namely the singing of anti-England songs in the Argentinian dressing room before the game.

Mike.

Did any of the media (press or TV) pick up on those RAF adboards yet?
    I also find it a bit odd given it was in a neutral country (Switzerland)... odd that a foreign nations army involved in wartime operations across the globe can advertise recruitment in a neutral country.

Can you imagine an England Vs Ireland friendly with adverts for the parachute regiment? I think a few of our media types would get a little hot under the collar...

Anyone got more links / info about this?

ta

Obviously. Forgive me whilst I bow down to your superior knowledge of the game oh wise one. :rolleyes:

Nobody informed me your opinion on all things football was the governing authority on these boards.

It's my opinion you can take it or leave it.
    If your opinion is that getting 25 out of 30 points in a qualifying campaign is making a "pigs ear" of it, I'll leave it, because that is flat out ridiculous.

I don't claim to have a superior knowledge on all things football but it irritates me to see people with chips on their shoulder making brash statements.

What so "in your opinion" would be doing well in the campaign? 35 out of 30 points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

still sick over the falklands i guess:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont know? The England fans distinguished themelves again last night. Booing the Argentinian National Anthem straight off and then singing God Save the Queen about 10 times.....

Do they have any decent that doesnt include them living off past glories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

jank wrote:
    I dont know? The England fans distinguished themelves again last night. Booing the Argentinian National Anthem straight off and then singing God Save the Queen about 10 times.....

whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i presume your joking county?

blu_sonic wrote:
    i presume your joking county?
    doubt it... dont see whats wrong.
    We boo'ed the French anthem in Landsdown... and kept singing Fields of Athenry etc..
    Perhaps we too would sing out national anthem over and over if a larger number of fans knew the words...

There was no trouble at that game, and a lot of English fans spend a lot of money going to that friendly.
    Fair play to them... and with that result (and thanks to their wonderful support) they deserve it.

• Advertisement

oh i don't mind singing your anthem i think its rotten to boo the oppositions regardless of it being us, england or anyone its a type of yobbo supporter we could all do without but singing GSTQ 100 times is fine by me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

whiskeyman wrote:
    doubt it... dont see whats wrong.
    We boo'ed the French anthem in Landsdown...

How would you like if the opposition booed your national anthem??:rolleyes:

Was a cracking game, but did anyone see the potential fould by ferdinand on Cruz just before Owen scored the winner? BBC didn't show a replay (surprise, surprise) so I couldn't make up my mind.

Gangsta wrote:
    How would you like if the opposition booed your national anthem??:rolleyes:
    I wouldnt take much offence tbh... it's just part of the international game now it seems.
    Pretty sure it has been through the campaign... in Israel especially.
    I'd just hope it would fire up the players even more to play with more pride and passion.
    Didnt seem to work for us, did it...:rolleyes:

Gangsta wrote:
    Was a cracking game, but did anyone see the potential fould by ferdinand on Cruz just before Owen scored the winner? BBC didn't show a replay (surprise, surprise) so I couldn't make up my mind.
    I was pretty certain he got the ball. It looked a great tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

absolutely great game! Got me in the mood for the WC...it's gonna be a cracker ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I was pretty certain he got the ball. It looked a great tackle.
    Yeah the ball was obviously poked away from the argentine by ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah sticking to my words...Ferdinand played exceptionally well and composed for England...in general, i just wish he had more aggression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

If your opinion is that getting 25 out of 30 points in a qualifying campaign is making a "pigs ear" of it, I'll leave it, because that is flat out ridiculous.

I don't claim to have a superior knowledge on all things football but it irritates me to see people with chips on their shoulder making brash statements.

What so "in your opinion" would be doing well in the campaign? 35 out of 30 points?

It's not all about the bottom line, the manner of their performances were unconvincing especially for a team who brashly talk up their chances of winning the World Cup. They made heavy weather of an easy group. I didn't see anything in those 10 games to suggest they have any chance of winning the World cup.

they didn't have a great qualifiers, just their team on paper vs the calibur of the group i'd expect them not to have been beaten, maybe they raise their game against better opposition mut if i were english i wouldn't put my hopes up too high

cheesedude wrote:
    Yeah sticking to my words...Ferdinand played exceptionally well and composed for England...in general, i just wish he had more aggression.

Well he was ball watching for 2 goals and was nowhere near Crespo for the first. Didnt have a great game imo. Why Sven puts him in all the time is beyond. Id have Campbell, King and Carragher in there ahead of him.

• Advertisement

jank wrote:

Anyone care to mention the Argentinian response to GSTQ? Before they were drowned out by the travelling England fans in full voise you could clearly hear boos and whistles greeting the start of the English anthem. Of course, it doesn't serve the anti-English agenda to point out the behaviour of other fans when criticising the English.

So far we've had:

1. You'd swear they'd won the WC.
    2. 1966 and all that.
    3. They were poor in qualifying.
    4. They booed the Argie anthem.
    5. They sang their own anthem 10 times.

By my reckoning we're just missing:

6. The famine.
    and
    7. Bloody Sunday.
    to complete the charge sheet...:rolleyes:
    Mike65 wrote:

"All English are poofs" according to the Sunday People*, sung on the team bus as it arrived at the ground. Apparently the same song sung by the team after they beat England on penos in St Ettiene in WC98, a song that dates back to the 50s.

*English tabloid rag, how could I possibly trust them to tell the truth

Sorry but arent we allowed to critise anything before the "ah you hate england, ya bogger Ra paddy" rubbish is vented by someone.

My cousin is in the British Army and he has my full blessing regards that(But ask some of his neighbours and they will tell you something else)
    I dont care for all that anti-english nonesense but a yop is a yop, English, Dutch, Irish whatever.

Booing a National Anthem is not on, no matter what.

i didn't say anything bad about england i'm half english (my dads english) i said that i was against people disrespecting anthems, i didn't watch the game i was replying to a post about anthems, disrespect and yobbo support in football. i don't see anthing even remotly "anti-english" tn the post from me that you quoted. as many users here know i've lived and worked in london and already stated i'll be supporting them in the WC hardly the acts of an anti-english poster.

ps. i also said it wasn't right ireland booing/hissing the french anthem in landsdown, it isn't even a legit rivalry.

i'd thank you for not mis quoting my post implying i'm a bigot

jank wrote:
    Sorry but arent we allowed to critise anything before the "ah you hate england, ya bogger Ra paddy" rubbish is vented by someone.

I do hope you're not referring to me there, I'd hardly call my own countrymen bogger Ra paddy's...
    jank wrote:
    Booing a National Anthem is not on, no matter what.

Agreed. So why do I have to point out the fact that GSTQ got a similar response from the travelling Argentinian support? The thread's on page 5 already.

The reason? The usual Brit-bashing agenda from irish soccer fans, many of whom have no problem supporting British teams in domestic competition.

blu_sonic wrote:

i'd thank you for not mis quoting my post implying i'm a bigot

My apologies.

I meant to quote jank's post, I've no idea why I picked yours.

The post has been amended, removing your quote and replacing it with jank's.

Again, my apologies.

thanks i was shocked sharing a similar view to you lol, thumbs up to ya

It's not all about the bottom line, the manner of their performances were unconvincing especially for a team who brashly talk up their chances of winning the World Cup. They made heavy weather of an easy group. I didn't see anything in those 10 games to suggest they have any chance of winning the World cup.
    Qualification is all about the bottom line. Look at us, our good performances in the likes of Paris mean nothing now. It's all about points.

England snapped up over 80% on offer. They beat their closest rivals home and away. Their group was easy on paper, but games against the likes of Wales and NI are harder for them than the likes of Poland due to the local rivalry. Yet they still walked the group, making far from a "pigs ear" of it as you firstly and ridiculously suggested.

I'm not claiming that England are a shoe in for the WC, but people are quick to highlight the likes of the 4-1 drubbing against Denmark, and then as quick to dismiss their victory over Argentina on neutral soil (a team many here tipped as potential contenders) as meaningless because it was a friendly. It's double standards.

i wouldn't say they made a pigs ear of it, but they made it a little harder than they should have it was a gift of a group in all honesty, look at our group in comparason

blu_sonic wrote:
    i wouldn't say they made a pigs ear of it, but they made it a little harder than they should have it was a gift of a group in all honesty, look at our group in comparason

Our group may have looked hard on paper, but I think we made a "pigs ear" of it as it unfolded.
    The French team were in disarray (They had to call players back from retirement!)... Israel arent exactly a big name.... and the Swiss are average at best (and had a woeful last tourney).

And the English group will always look that bit easier since they were the top seed.

• Advertisement

i agree that we fluffed it up i think your being hard on isreal and the swiss but so true about france, we should have won the group, we can blame kerr, the players, missed oppertunities etc. but all in all we had faith in our own hands and threw it away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I'd have my doubts about the full backs (Neville and Cole are both needed back asap), Young and Bridge didn't offer enough going forward

I wouldn't go too hard on bridge, he is only back from a horrific ankle break.
    hasn't really played since April. Luke young on the otherhand is nothing more then a solid fullback, nothing spectacular at all about the way he plays the game.

Advertisement