Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illiteracy on this board.

Options
  • 12-11-2005 9:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

The standard of English used on this board is getting worse. Maybe the mods can tell us if the other boards are any different. We all can make typing errors but in the last few days, some posters can not spell, can not distinguish between singular and plural, have no knowledge of punctuation and no knowledge of grammar. Sadly, the quality of ideas presented seems to be in line with the quality of their use of the language.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Agree totally, I'm afraid texting and the decline and disuse of the Pen (Apart from Suduko), writing in longhand is having a profound effect on written communication.

When was the last time you wrote a letter or a sentence, I haven't in years probably!

The Victorians used about three times the vocabulary we use today!

Language in devolution or evolution, I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

A certain posters style and use of capital letters has come to out attention...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

omfg m8 stfu, w3 all didnt go to college.

BOARDS.ie Not all people talk the same man type the same if they did the world be a **** place, Just go with it and relax go get layed and stop bitching about how others talk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Amen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

Nema wrote:
    omfg m8 stfu, w3 all didnt go to college.

BOARDS.ie Not all people talk the same man type the same if they did the world be a **** place, Just go with it and relax go get layed and stop bitching about how others talk!!
    A perfect example of the problem-thankyou Nema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Perhaps a suitable amendment to the charter is in order, 'you must bloomin spell proper'.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

Leupold wrote:
    A perfect example of the problem-thankyou Nema.

On!y 2 h@ppy 2 h3!p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

I see that your posts in this thread use better English than your usual posts and seem to make more sense as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Your not here that long and yet you propose new rules? Since when was it a requirement to have excellent english to post here? Not everyone is as perfect as you, I don't expect everyone to post perfect english nor do I expect those posters be subject to this...

The text speech can be quite an annoyance but I don't feel obliged to start an uproar. Not everyone here is educated and I think your ignorance to that fact is clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

If you can't read it, its not worth reading...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

When was the last time you wrote a letter or a sentence, I haven't in years probably!
    The last time I filled in my training diary and my ammunition ledger, which was today - I'd hope the same was true of everyone else in here :D
    And I still use a dip pen for personal letters - but I don't find that that aids my literacy, as I'm much faster at typing than calligraphy (120wpm or so). If we have to blame something, I'd blame a lack of recreational reading.

Unfortunately, banning someone from boards for misspelling would not only be rather overly draconian, it'd leave the place empty. So some tolerance is needed; I'd consider it the written version of politely ignoring someone's accent when talking to them.

That said, Posts Which Are Capitalised Like This AND WHICH ARE WRITTEN WHOLLY IN CAPITAL LETTERS, well, they look daft. We've enough genuine disagreements without needing to invent more, so could people perhaps take an extra minute to format their message more clearly so that the content is not lost due to linguistic eccentricities please? Thank you...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement