Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanafin attacks Kenny over Irish proposal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

I totally agree, but failing to teach people Irish is hardly the way to draw out or inspire them.
    Thats because its not taught properly. To make Irish optional would lead the way to business studies or something else becoming compulsary. In the sense of "education" there is far more to gain from Irish than business and science subjects. To do away with compulsary Irish would be another step towards turning schools into factories - manufacturing robots. Literature is the best way to develop the mind - business and all that should be left until University

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Diorraing wrote:
    Thats because its not taught properly.
    No disagreement there. Unfortunately, after making this sensible point you seem to just throw out any old thing that might possibly be a reason for removing the compulsory element.
    Diorraing wrote:
    To make Irish optional would lead the way to business studies or something else becoming compulsary.
    That simply does not follow. Making Irish optional would simply leave two compulsory subjects and more choice. In and of itself that’s hardly a bad thing.
    Diorraing wrote:
    In the sense of "education" there is far more to gain from Irish than business and science subjects.
    Many would contest your implicit view that science does not contribute to education. At present the Irish educational system is massively biased towards the humanities. Tipping the balance a little in the other direction is hardly to be resisted.
    Diorraing wrote:
    To do away with compulsary Irish would be another step towards turning schools into factories - manufacturing robots.
    This point doesn’t relate to reality at all. Compulsory Irish simply leads to unmotivated students going through the motions, so we end up spending €500 million for no benefit (by benefit I mean no-one gaining an appreciation of the language, in case you misinterpret). Presumably Irish teachers are similarly unmotivated, as the State is giving them a captive audience. All that removing the compulsion element does is raise the prospect to some of those resources getting used for some positive outcome. Given that currently our schoolchildren rate poorly in international test comparsions, this can only be a good thing.
    Diorraing wrote:
    Literature is the best way to develop the mind - business and all that should be left until University
    I think its frightening how willing you seem to be to sacrifice the whole educational system just to protect the status of Irish.

No disagreement there. Unfortunately, after making this sensible point you seem to just throw out any old thing that might possibly be a reason for removing the compulsory element. That simply does not follow. Making Irish optional would simply leave two compulsory subjects and more choice.
    Choice. What will be chosen? Philosophy? Latin? Classics? Hardly. Irish will be sacrificed for some joke of a subject like Home Ec, Business or C.S.P.E. And don't be so naive to think that English won't become optional aswell. People will begin to see that there is no "practical" importance of the English L.C course and that'll be sacrificed as well
    Many would contest your implicit view that science does not contribute to education.
    I think science should be taught, definately - along with some subjects which force students to think for themselves (literature, philosophy and to an extent history)[/QUOTE]
    so we end up spending €500 million for no benefit (by benefit I mean no-one gaining an appreciation of the language, in case you misinterpret). Presumably Irish teachers are similarly unmotivated, as the State is giving them a captive audience. All that removing the compulsion element does is raise the prospect to some of those resources getting used for some positive outcome. Given that currently our schoolchildren rate poorly in international test comparsions, this can only be a good thing. I think its frightening how willing you seem to be to sacrifice the whole educational system just to protect the status of Irish.
    I'm not the one sacrificing our students education. That'd be you. What Fine Gael are proposing is that we in effect remove Irish from the education system (you can't cram Irish like other subjects - therefore students are going to choses easier, more crammable subjects for the L.C because of points system). This would be severly damaging to our children's cultural and intellectual education. Irish is one of the few subjects where there is no right and wrong answer (apart from grammar naturally). What FF are planning to do is the right thing. See how we can improve the teaching of the language, don't just discard it to make way for a less challenging subject

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If hannafin is so optimistic that Irish is so well supported then she has nothing to worry about, those leaving Cert students will be queueing up to take up irish for the leaving.

just another case of politicians who like to see their name in print or their ugly mug on TV.

If hannafin is so optimistic that Irish is so well supported then she has nothing to worry about, those leaving Cert students will be queueing up to take up irish for the leaving.
    Thats just oversimplifying the issue completely. As mentioned earlier, Irish is not a crammable subject like sciences or business. It is about abiliity accquired over time. Because of the points system students will pick the subjects that are easier and more "crammable" as opposed to ones they really like and have an interest in. Thats why LC students won't be queing up to take it

• Advertisement

Diorraing wrote:
    I'm not the one sacrificing our students education. That'd be you.
    In fairness, your contributions seem to be becoming increasingly desparate. I think you can see that there is really no reason for retaining the compulsory requirement.
    Diorraing wrote:
    What Fine Gael are proposing is that we in effect remove Irish from the education system.
    This is pure nonsense. What they propose is removing the compulsion at leaving cert stage.
    Diorraing wrote:
    This would be severly damaging to our children's cultural and intellectual education.
    You obviously can't deal with the plain reality that at the moment the €500 million devoted to Irish is achieving nothing. How does failing to learn a language contribute to someone's education?.
    Diorraing wrote:
    See how we can improve the teaching of the language, don't just discard it to make way for a less challenging subject
    The 'challenging subject' stuff is pure fantasy. The essential difficulty in Irish is the way that its taught as if its already our native language, rather than accepting it should be taught to most people as if it was a foriegn language. So I've an even better option. Make the language optional, and see if you can improve the teaching method. That way you'll actually end up with more people able to speak it and fewer with a chip about it. Which I would have thought is a large amount of what we want to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah, right. So students come up with new Physics formulae, discover new elements everyday - give me a break.

Yeah they do actually. Invention, research and discovery didnt stop in 1934.
    Subjects in which you are truely taught to think "outside the box" are subjects with literature involved.

I dont agree. I got an A in my leaving cert English, not for thinking outside the box with regards to poetry, essay and short stories/novels but by giving the examiners what I had been told to think about these poems and stories.
    How will you know whether you love it or not unless you are compelled to study it?

People are talking after the leaving cert. Plenty of oppurtunity prior to that for people to discover their love for it, if it exists.
    French speak French, Italiens speak Italien, Germans speak German, why shouldn't the Irish speak Irish.

Because the "irish" language you refer to is actually Gaelic, and the Irish people as we are today are a direct result of our history of waves of immigration/conquest by the Scandinavians, the Normans, the English and the Scots. Now we have a new "wave" as such of immigration from abroad. Were Irish, but were not Gaels by default. You need to broaden your definition of what Irish is, rather than try to force everything to conform to a particular monoculture.
    The reason people might not speak it all the time is cause they get stared at by your likes, as if we were sub-human

I wouldnt stare at you as if you were subhuman, I simply wouldnt have a breeze what you were saying and instead talk to someone else who I could understand. Which is the purpose of language.
    (I can't believe i'm defending sand )

Yeah, youd want to watch out for that.
    Thats just oversimplifying the issue completely. As mentioned earlier, Irish is not a crammable subject like sciences or business.

But its a subject that all good Irish nationalists *love*, and we all apparently are speaking it all the time. No one feels nationalistic about maths, nor do they spend hours all day chatting in mathematical equations to each other. I think Irish has little to fear from optional status for the leaving in such an enviroment as you describe existing.

Diorraing wrote:
    Thats just oversimplifying the issue completely. As mentioned earlier, Irish is not a crammable subject like sciences or business. It is about abiliity accquired over time. Because of the points system students will pick the subjects that are easier and more "crammable" as opposed to ones they really like and have an interest in. Thats why LC students won't be queing up to take it

Why not, french, italian, German Spannish seem to be crammible as they are optional in most schools.

So what your saying so is that Mary hannifins is telling lies when she says that irish is supported. If it is not supported then why have it rammed down peoples throats.

Irish has an advantage over other languages as it is taught from primary school.

Why not, french, italian, German Spannish seem to be crammible as they are optional in most schools.

So what your saying so is that Mary hannifins is telling lies when she says that irish is supported. If it is not supported then why have it rammed down peoples throats.

Irish has an advantage over other languages as it is taught from primary school.
    A European language is compulsory along with Irish. Thats why people take either french, italian, german and Spannish. I'd like to see you calling for them to be optional too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Diorraing wrote:
    A European language is compulsory along with Irish. Thats why people take either french, italian, german and Spannish. I'd like to see you calling for them to be optional too.

I'm not sure this is strictly speaking correct. A European language is necessary for entry into a lot of of university courses, but I'm pretty certain it's not a legally required element of a Leaving Certificate in the way that Irish is.

In any case, I have to say that I'd be hard pressed to agree that any of the foreign languages are particularly well taught here, because even with honours leaving certificate French, the average Irish person would be hard pressed to conduct a conversation in French as fluently as a French with bacc level English.

The reason for that is we start teaching the European languages far, far too late. Realistically we should start at 10 if at all possible but this is not available across the board.

As to whether Irish should be mandatory or not - when Irish is no longer an official language of the country, then they can decide to make it non-core. The fact that it is not the most commonly spoken language is of lesser relevance in that. What needs to be done however is a total overhaul of how we teach all non-native languages and I'd have a lot more respect for Enda Kenny if he addressed teaching quality issues rather than going for an easy target. Removing the compulsory nature of Irish does not address issues surrounding teaching quality of any subject at all, and frankly, I would have to say it's a bigger issue for me than Irish.

• Advertisement

I thought the position was not that a foreign language is compulsory, just that it is very advisable to take one, or your post leaving cert options will be limited.
    http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/senior_cycle_options.pdf?language=EN The majority of senior cycle students take the established Leaving Certificate. Achievement in the Leaving Certificate examination is the basis upon which places in third level institutions are allocated. …. Students taking the established Leaving Certificate programme must take at least five subjects, of which one must be Irish.
    Can I point out that at this stage you seem to have given up even trying to justify the retention of compulsory Irish, and seem to be simply grumping. Why the need to defend a position that you must see at this stage is just plain wrong?

Can I point out that at this stage you seem to have given up even trying to justify the retention of compulsory Irish, and seem to be simply grumping. Why the need to defend a position that you must see at this stage is just plain wrong?
    What the hell are you talking about? I haven't given up trying to justify the retention of compulsory Irish at all. What i've done is presented a logical argument for its retention. I'll set my arguments clearly for you:
    - If compulsory Irish is abolished, not many students will sit it at all. This is not because of any dislike for the language but beacuse of the cruel points system which forces them to pick subjects that are "crammable" and easier - not the subjects that they actually like. Therefore the argument that this would be doing Irish any favours is refuted.
    - The abolition of compulsory Irish would surely lead to the abolition of compulsory English and Maths (which everyone seems to agree would be a bad thing). Most of the argument used against compulsory Irish can be used against compulsoy Maths or English - all this "ramming it into my head" nonsense. For most people there is little or no use for L.C English (you don't actually learn to speak English, you just study literature). As for Maths, only people going on to study Science or Maths or Engineering really need an L.C standard.
    - The next point kinda follows on from the last one. The three compulsory L.C subjects are the only ones in which students are taught to think outside the box. In literature there are no right and wrong answers. Every other subject from Economics to Chemistry, students are not taught to think creatively. Abolishing compulsory Irish would be another step towards the "factoryisation" of schools - schools becoming factories, telling students what to think, moulding them for specific jobs (which should be left to University)
    - It is accepted by all that the Irish curriculum needs to be revamped. Children are not coming into secondary school with sufficient Irish to tackle the literature. Wouldn't it make more sense to revamp the course first and see how the students like it - then if it is still not working, making Irish optional. Revamping the course while at the same time making it optional is slightly contradictory. Many students won't be able to see how an improved course would work and would give Irish up without trying it.
    - I would make the point that Irish is key to our identity and make the whole cultural point but there are too many philistines on this board: People who want to scrap Irish because it isn't a means of making money. You can't argue against such ignorance - you can only laugh.

Those are the reasons I oppose making Irish optional. I'm sure there are plenty more but those are the ones that instantly spring to mind. They are logical arguments - not from an Irish language zealot but from someone who doesn't want the eduation system flushed down the drain.

f compulsory Irish is abolished, not many students will sit it at all. This is not because of any dislike for the language but beacuse of the cruel points system which forces them to pick subjects that are "crammable" and easier - not the subjects that they actually like. Therefore the argument that this would be doing Irish any favours is refuted.

If that is the case then Mary Hannifin is lying when she says that Irish has massive support. Like I said, Irish has an advantage over other languages because it is thought from primary school.
    The abolition of compulsory Irish would surely lead to the abolition of compulsory English and Maths (which everyone seems to agree would be a bad thing). Most of the argument used against compulsory Irish can be used against compulsoy Maths or English - all this "ramming it into my head" nonsense. For most people there is little or no use for L.C English (you don't actually learn to speak English, you just study literature). As for Maths, only people going on to study Science or Maths or Engineering really need an L.C standard.

The fear that compulsary english and maths is just supposition, I am not aware of any country in the world where maths is optional. as for their uses, English helps with interperson communication, and is the language spoken by the general populace, and maths develops a person's problem solving abilities. Irish is only compulsary for symbolic reasons.
    The next point kinda follows on from the last one. The three compulsory L.C subjects are the only ones in which students are taught to think outside the box. In literature there are no right and wrong answers. Every other subject from Economics to Chemistry, students are not taught to think creatively. Abolishing compulsory Irish would be another step towards the "factoryisation" of schools - schools becoming factories, telling students what to think, moulding them for specific jobs (which should be left to University)

Keeping irish is not going to stop this. if you want to blame something for the factoryisation of schools then blame the points system, not the subjects that are taught in schools. Art helps people "think outside the box" and that is optional is it not.
    It is accepted by all that the Irish curriculum needs to be revamped. Children are not coming into secondary school with sufficient Irish to tackle the literature. Wouldn't it make more sense to revamp the course first and see how the students like it - then if it is still not working, making Irish optional. Revamping the course while at the same time making it optional is slightly contradictory. Many students won't be able to see how an improved course would work and would give Irish up without trying it.

not if Irish has the amount of support Mary Hannifin thinks it does.
    I would make the point that Irish is key to our identity and make the whole cultural point but there are too many philistines on this board: People who want to scrap Irish because it isn't a means of making money. You can't argue against such ignorance - you can only laugh.

The reason Irish is compulsary is because some ultra-nationalist government back in the 1920s or 1930s made it so in an effort to keep a language alive when it is on its death bed. The reason Irish has all its novels and poetry is because some government minister wanted to put it on a par with the language that is spoken by most of the population of Ireland in daily life, which it is not, and never will be again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Diorraing wrote:

They are optional , maybe your 'knowledge' of the Irish education system isn't what you think it is and I propose you learn more about it before posting further .

Big Ears wrote:
    They are optional , maybe your 'knowledge' of the Irish education system isn't what you think it is and I propose you learn more about it before posting further .
    OK, by law they are optional but if you want to get into an NUI college and a few others you need a third language. You're not really contributing to the debate by stopping me on minor issues (most people knew what was meant.) This highlites you're inability to debate the issue on its main points.

The fear that compulsary english and maths is just supposition, I am not aware of any country in the world where maths is optional.
    You should visit England

Diorraing wrote:
    You should visit England

is mathmatics optional there? in the same way a continental language is compulsary here?

as for visiting, indeed i have, its very pretty.

Diorraing wrote:
    OK, by law they are optional but if you want to get into an NUI college and a few others you need a third language. You're not really contributing to the debate by stopping me on minor issues (most people knew what was meant.) This highlites you're inability to debate the issue on its main points.
    Which means that they are not so much compulsory as necessary for certain purposes. From the quote I posted above, it looks like only Irish is strictly compulsory for the Leaving Cert, so its status is unique.

I'm not sure I've anything much to add to billy the squid's comments, but seeing as how I'm here...

You suggest that if compulsory Irish is abolished, not many students will sit it because its not as "crammable" as other subjects. I notice this argument echoes one made by the President of Conradh na Gaelge in this morning’s paper, so I take it this is the line coming out of Gaelic Central. This is the kind of statement that gets made when someone starts from the premise that compulsory Irish must be defended no matter what, and works out from there, rather than looking at the material situation we are in.

You need to start from the real world situation, which is that people leave school with no real appreciation of the language. Hence all the stuff you have been coming out with suggesting that there is some intrinsic educational value to teaching Irish goes out the window. That is simply not our experience. Also, it is utterly meaningless to describe Irish as a subject where people are encouraged to think out of the box or to pretend that dropping compulsion has to do with training people for employment. The practical experience of Irish in schools is it’s a subject where half the class are looking out the window. It is a black hole sucking in €500 million of scarce resources that we need to educate our children, which we are currently failing to do as well as many other countries.

You also have to appreciate that, after spending €500 million a year and its equivalent going back, you have a massive credibility gap to overcome to suggest that educational benefits might yet come our way if we mickey with the syllabus. Might I also say that Irish language activists seem to be only exercised about the need to improve teaching methods when people start saying ‘make it optional’. That’s not a stance that assists the credibility of their sudden conversion to the idea that Irish is on the school curriculum because it has some intrinsic educational value.

Equally you have to simply accept that while Irish might be part of your identity its simply not part of the identity of a vast section of our native people. Hence, justifying compulsion on cultural grounds is showing contempt for their way of life. That contempt is keenly felt and a large part of the reason that English speakers have resisted the imposition of the language. In Dev’s mind we were all meant to be good little Gaelic speakers by now. We’re not. Now, personally, I think its time to take the politics out of language, and simply see Irish as a language we should take reasonable measures to encourage and support. Abolishing compulsory Irish is a necessary part of this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

is mathmatics optional there?.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, Mathematics is compulsary to GCSE level (age 16). Same goes for English and Science. In Northern Ireland, a modern language is also compulsary (and Irish can be that language!) to GCSE too, although that requirement will soon be abolished as it already has been in England and Wales. R.E. and P.E. courses must also be followed, though taking a GCSE in them is not compulsary.

At A-Level (post 16), there are no compulsary subjects.

Now, personally, I think its time to take the politics out of language, and simply see Irish as a language we should take reasonable measures to encourage and support. Abolishing compulsory Irish is a necessary part of this process.

While I agree that de-politicising the language is necessary, I have to say that I think you've failed to provide an argument as to how abolishing the compulsory nature of Irish at leaving certificate level would actually do it and to be blunt, most of the politicisation of the language that I have seen here has been from the "remove the obligation" brigade. Its current status as a core and compulsory subject is not evidence of it being politicised. It's evidence of it being an official language in the country, and it has that status by merit of the Constitution and by merit of being the local first language in various parts of the country. In most countries where there is more than one official language, both are core and obligatory until the same stage.

If the question of core subjects is then to be addressed, then all of them, by that I mean English and mathematics too, should come into play, not just Irish.

As it is, it is abundantly clear from this debate that Irish is a nice easy target for discussion as ultimately the debate is funnelled away from biggest issue with the education system in Ireland and into emotive language. The emotive language is coming from both sides, and the central issue of teaching quality is then not addressed. It tells me everything I need to know about people's interest in education in this country as a whole.

Frankly, I'm disappointed. I would have expected more.

• Advertisement

Calina

People will react to the same objective situation in different ways. To be honest, I found responses to the thread generally better than I expected to the extent that no-one was really seeking to pretend that Mary Hanafin’s EU status red herring was anything other than window dressing.

I agree that, if our educational system is failing to perform the debate needs to be wider that simply compulsory Irish. However, if a sizeable chunk of the education budget is vanishing without trace into Irish teaching, I think it has slightly more significance than ‘a nice easy target for discussion’.

I don’t think your implicit assumption that compulsory Irish is a neutral measure holds. Its presence in the Constitution as the first official language is itself highly political. Hence justifying compulsory Irish on grounds of its presence in the Constitution is skirting around the issue, just as making Irish an EU language is a supreme act of denial. Compulsory Irish is a legacy of the failed attempt to revive Irish, as is its Constitutional status. It was not Dev’s intention that the definitive version of the Constitution would be written in a language most citizens could not understand. It was his intention that we would all speak Irish, which was effectively an imposition of a particular view of what an Irish identity consisted of. Very many of us continue to live outside that view of an Irish identity, so compulsory Irish is very much a political tool used to foist some else’s values on us. The neutral position would be choice – bearing in mind that all FG have proposed is removing compulsion at leaving cert. All schoolchildren will still have compulsory Irish up to that point, so its not as if the language is being erased from the curriculum overnight.

Finally, I draw attention the para I posted above from the Department of Education website, This suggests that Irish is actually the only compulsory leaving cert subject at present (which let me stress was news to me yesterday when I looked it up.) So it actually looks like compulsory English and Maths have already been done away with, without any great notice. (If anyone has an inside track on explaining if I’m reading this right, please do post up.)
    http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/senior_cycle_options.pdf?language=EN The majority of senior cycle students take the established Leaving Certificate. Achievement in the Leaving Certificate examination is the basis upon which places in third level institutions are allocated. …. Students taking the established Leaving Certificate programme must take at least five subjects, of which one must be Irish.

However, if a sizeable chunk of the education budget is vanishing without trace into Irish teaching, I think it has slightly more significance than ‘a nice easy target for discussion’.

Yes, but removing the compulsory nature of Irish at Leaving Certificate level does not in any way address this, whereas addressing teaching quality would.

This seems to assume that compulsory Irish is a necessary part of the education system. Usually, it is necessary to justify an imposition rather than the reverse.

For what it’s worth, I don’t see how the educational system gains from being forced to promote a contested view of Irish identity, and so far there seems to have been heavy costs. Hence, as an isolated point, I’m happy enough to see compulsion go.

I don’t see how the educational system gains from being forced to promote a contested view of Irish identity, and so far there seems to have been heavy costs. Hence, as an isolated point, I’m happy enough to see compulsion go.
    How is it a contested view of Irish identity? It is a fact that Irish was spoken by most inhabitants of the island up until recently. We descend from those who spoke the language (many of us still do speak it) and therefore it forms part of our national identity.

Diorraing wrote:
    How is it a contested view of Irish identity?
    As I think we’ve mentioned a few times at this stage, very many Irish people go from cradle to grave with the Irish language featuring to any great extent in their lives, despite enormous revival efforts for decades. I don’t regard this as a particularly controversial point. In fact, I think it’s necessary to work at ignoring it.

This, necessarily, means the status of the language as an essential part of our identity is contested. Why? Because it means you are creating a definition of Irish identity which excludes very many, and possibly most, Irish people.

My read of your view is: “In the past, Irish was the normal daily language of most Irish people. At present the Irish language does not feature strongly in the identity of very many, and possibly most, Irish people. Enormous efforts over past decades to revive it as our daily language have failed. However, more Irish people would be willing to accept the language as part of their identity in the future if we found the right way of presenting it to them.”

That’s fine so far as it goes, but hardly a case for compulsory Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Diorraing wrote:
    You don't learn to speak English in Leaving Cert English! Whatever about using Irish in the future, you're sure as hell never going to use William Wordsworth or Emily Dickinson. You must also be implying, Murphaph, that people who didn't go to secondary school, who didn't do the Leaving Cert are not able to speak proper English - nonsense! As for Math, after the Junior Cert I see no reason to do it unless you're going study it in future or do some complicated business/economics.
    The problem with Irish is the way it is taught at primary level. Children should have a fair degree of fluency when they come into secondary school and should then be able to tackle literature - they are not and therefore secondary Irish is a struggle for them.

I like the way you think but a basic maths class thought alot better than the current maths teaching methods is nesscesary but certainly get rid of compulsory english it is alot of work for someone hoping to go into Science or Engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

As I think we’ve mentioned a few times at this stage, very many Irish people go from cradle to grave with the Irish language featuring to any great extent in their lives, despite enormous revival efforts for decades. I don’t regard this as a particularly controversial point. In fact, I think it’s necessary to work at ignoring it.

This, necessarily, means the status of the language as an essential part of our identity is contested. Why? Because it means you are creating a definition of Irish identity which excludes very many, and possibly most, Irish people.

My read of your view is: “In the past, Irish was the normal daily language of most Irish people. At present the Irish language does not feature strongly in the identity of very many, and possibly most, Irish people. Enormous efforts over past decades to revive it as our daily language have failed. However, more Irish people would be willing to accept the language as part of their identity in the future if we found the right way of presenting it to them.”

That’s fine so far as it goes, but hardly a case for compulsory Irish.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

All subjects should be optional at leaving cert level. Other countries let their
    students choose their subjects and we should too. We should be promoting
    choice in schools, not ramming a political agenda down students' throats. It
    is madness to force leaving cert maths upon a mathmatically challenged
    person, and it is madness to force Shakespeare upon a student who hates
    poetry and drama but loves maths. After the junior cert, student's
    know what they like and are good at, and what they hate or are crap at.

Likewise, it is madness to force Irish upon someone who is crap at languages
    or who is just crap at Irish. It's all about having CHOICE people! God knows
    the leaving cert is painful enough for many students - we should at least
    let them choose what subjects they are going to be tortured by! ;)

I should also add that I don't think this would 'damage' the Irish language in
    any serious way. Lot's of people leave school with very good
    French/Spanish/German after choosing to learn it. Irish would be just the
    same - many people love it and would still choose to learn it if it were
    optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

All this debating about Irish and not one post in Irish.... disapointing!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

All this debating about Irish and not one post in Irish.... disapointing!

Diorraing said something in Irish. I think.
    How is it a contested view of Irish identity? It is a fact that Irish was spoken by most inhabitants of the island up until recently. We descend from those who spoke the language (many of us still do speak it) and therefore it forms part of our national identity.

Wishful thinking to be honest Diorraing.
    All subjects should be optional at leaving cert level. Other countries let their students choose their subjects and we should too. We should be promoting choice in schools, not ramming a political agenda down students' throats. It is madness to force leaving cert maths upon a mathmatically challenged person, and it is madness to force Shakespeare upon a student who hates poetry and drama but loves maths. After the junior cert, student's
    know what they like and are good at, and what they hate or are crap at.

I disagree on the grounds that two skills that are invaluable in life are a grasp and comfort with maths and a good command of the english language. Theres no political wishful thinking behind that, youll just be placing yourself at a massive disadvantage in practically any course of study or professional career - binmen mightnt need good english/maths but who wants to be a binman? And I dont want to be subsidizing Anto and Deco for the rest of their lives after they took up Art and Music over English and Maths tbh.

Advertisement