Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanafin attacks Kenny over Irish proposal

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

Sand wrote:
    I disagree on the grounds that two skills that are invaluable in life are a grasp and comfort with maths and a good command of the english language.

True, but I don't think these need to be taken all the way to leaving cert
    level to make a person literate and numerate enough to function in life.
    I don't believe I've ever had any use in RL for the type of maths I did for
    the LC. My knowledge of Shakespeare and Dickens, while pleasing to me,
    has hardly improved my employment prospects in any way.
    Sand wrote:
    binmen mightnt need good english/maths but who wants to be a binman?

One or the other would be useful, but generally you would not need both
    to become more than a 'binman'. I think you should get to choose which
    ones you like and are actually good at.
    Sand wrote:
    And I dont want to be subsidizing Anto and Deco for the rest of their lives after they took up Art and Music over English and Maths tbh.

The world needs artists and musicians too. If someone is talented enough
    to get a good LC in these subjects more power to them I say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I would agree. I certainly feel that all three should not be compulsory. As an Engineering student Hamlet has no relevance but only as a good story, then again Star Wars does the same trick for me. Mathematics on the other hand was relevant due to the nature of my current studies. IMHO a certain level of maths should be thougth but not for points but so all school leavers have a common level of mathematical ability usefull for most problem solving (we're talking quite basic maths). IMO the biggest enemy of all learning and appreciation for what you learn is the Leaving Certificate and it is undue stress to put on mere teenagers who just want to have a good future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Uthur wrote:
    True, but I don't think these need to be taken all the way to leaving cert level to make a person literate and numerate enough to function in life. I don't believe I've ever had any use in RL for the type of maths I did for the LC. My knowledge of Shakespeare and Dickens, while pleasing to me,has hardly improved my employment prospects in any way.

Yes, but you don't simply read poetry and prose for 2 years of LC English, you do essays and reading comprehension. Your command of the language improves considerably, your vocabulary increases. That and more is necessary for just about any 3rd level course, regardless of discipline. Engineering students have to produce reports as well..

As for maths, my experience has been that maths requires an element of repetition and that the longer you are away from maths the less able you are to deal with rather simple problems.

Uthur wrote:
    The world needs artists and musicians too. If someone is talented enough to get a good LC in these subjects more power to them I say! :D

Just a thought. How many people here knew at JC level what career path they wanted to follow and actually achieved that ambition? Not me. I wanted to be an arhitect, so chose Tech Drawing (along with Chemistry, History and German). Of the four optional subjects, only history was of use to me when I got to 3rd level (and I was glad I'd done English) to do Arts (History and Politics). Got my degree, and haven't used it since (work in the vaiation secotr now)

Advertisement