Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creating curls

• 12-11-2005 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice!
    Im going to a few Christmas Parties etc over the next few weekends and am thinking of trying to curl my hair for one or two of them. My hair is mid-length, well its between my chin and shoulder and slightly layered. I think you'd call what I'm trying to achieve as "Corkscrew curls".

I have the trusty GHD but it doesnt seem to work overly well for curling my hair - I think thats probably because the hair is relatively short and the GHD isn't the thinest one. I only get curls towards the ends of the hair when I try.

I'm thinking of getting either one of the curling tongs which has the grooves for making curls on them, or else maybe the heated stick rollers.

Has anyone any suggestions as to which might be the better option for me!?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I've tried curling my hair on several occasions and have usually failed. I was rummaging through a box full of beauty products in my house one day when I found my mum's old curling things. They're spongy and bendy (like these) and were from about 6 years ago. Not sure how easy it will be to find thse kinds of things anymore but they will curl your hair like mad. I left them in overnight on damp hair and then spritzed with hair spray. My hair was gorgeous afterwards and I had corkscrew curls. I seperated them a little as I wanted a slightly less extreme look but they stayed in all day. I know there is a salon supply place somewhere in Dublin but I've never been there myself. You may find these in Boots as well. They're cheap and may take a little bit of time but the result is better than I've ever had with curling tongs.

I think twisting your hair with tinfoil also works. A few years back I saw some girls using tinfoil in Finland and it ended up with similar results to what I achieved with those bendy things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

^^ might try that, my hair is v fine, but i cannot create curls with my ghd's..

god i member years ago my mam wud put those kinda rollers in, and i'd b curly sue for days afterwards!!! bless my childhood innocence...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

my friend got a curling tongs with the grooves in it, presume you mean something like http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006347C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg ?

i did her hair for her. i took a piece of hair each time, curled it, and sprayed it with hair spray. takes patience!! bit it did turn out pretty well (if i do say so myself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for your help!
    You can get curlers like those in Argos, well they're a heated version of that (which I presume would just mean they would work faster than from cold), and those grooved tongs as well. Both are around the same price.

I might go with the tongs because I don't think I have the patience to wait overnight for the other ones! i'd be too curious to see what they were like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Oops I posted that last message under the ID that automatically logs in on this pc! but that message was meant to be from me anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I use a triple wave curling iron (got it in Argos) that is brilliant and I have poker straight hair.

do u need to have someone do ur hair for u, cos i dont think id b able to do them myself??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ha ha for once naturally curly hair comes in useful

:p at ferdi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

those pink spongey things u can still get in diff colours and sizes... the smaller chemists do them... ive both them in hickeys and the local pharmacy lots of times and they only cost around €6 a pack.
    oh and they work great if u leave them in overnight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I got a portable braun stuick curler thing , think it was around 20euro and it works great , got advice here a while ago and Ive got to say that fructus hair spray worked a treat. Kept the curls in all day , Id highly recommened it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

god i member years ago my mam wud put those kinda rollers in, and i'd b curly sue for days afterwards!!! bless my childhood innocence...:D

I'm curly sue right now I put them in last night.They're begining to drop now though because I got canged a few times had P.E and my hair is fairly long(half way down my back) and VERY thick and heavy.spraying the section before you put it on the curler really helps.I love the bendys but it also helps having slightly curly/very wavy hair

ah yes.. tho the fact that your hair is long, thick, and heavy gives me hope as my hair is v fine, and quite short.. its v annoying havin this kinda hair cos its v hard to get volume.. and it kinks reall bad :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Get the marilyn monroe curls tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ah yes.. tho the fact that your hair is long, thick, and heavy gives me hope as my hair is v fine, and quite short.. its v annoying havin this kinda hair cos its v hard to get volume.. and it kinks reall bad :mad:

I know you can get root lifters that like clip right up at your roots and if you take them out after around 20 minutes you have lift.Cant remember what they're called because I never needed to use them (my hair goes 80's big if i put it up in a pony for more then 5 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I have naturally wavy/slightly curly hair, actually a bush is a more accurate description.... I can blow dry it straight with ease though so I don't suppose it's too bad, anyway when I want it really curly, and very funky looking I use Lee Staford's Messed Up shampoo, and spray in conditioner afterwards, fantastic stuff! Boots. I'll just get a pic of how it turns out...

cool lerack, wow ur nothing like i imagined :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Le Rack wrote:
    I see you're a collector of badges too!!

As for straight curly hair etc, I officially have the worst hair in the world, it won't straighten, it won't curl and no matter what I do it ends up lookin a mess.

Its evil.

gotta love the badges!

What did you think Cailin?

Nasty, what sort of hair do you actually have cuz mine used to permenantly lok like I had been dragged backwards through a ditch or three, I just had to find products that are good for me and now I can do pretty much anything with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement