Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem with zyxel prestige 600 series and linksys wrt54g conflict

• 12-11-2005 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Im having a problem with a conflict between these two routers i have to connect the zyxel to the linksys and but its sayn that the zyxel cant access the net but when i cut the linksys out of the equation i can get on the net fine I know the description of the problem is a bit vague but any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

this is the 3rd tim i've seen this prob on boards all inc. the WRTG54G wifi router..Time to get it sorted methinks...

Hakko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LadyFurby

Try this :

Access the modems login page - 192.168.1.1 and login

Click Wizard Setup.
    On the first page it says MODE = "Routing"
    Change this to "Bridge".
    Save it and then connect it back to the linksys wireless.

This should sort your problem out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I posted one of those zyxel/linksys queries and was just coming back tonight to ask if anyone knew of a wireless modem to replace the zyxel and linksys. The modem would obviously have to be compatible with phoneline broadband (DSL?).

I tried the bridging method but it didnt work for me. I think the problem is that you have to have pppoe set on the linksys if youre using bridging on the zyxel. Ive literally spent hours upon hours on it at this stage and have just about given up. Will try a couple more times tho fiddling around with the bridging. Oh, and dont even bother contacting linksys support. The esat tech guys were postively rocket scientists compared to them.

If anyone has any info on the other router Id appreciate it. Had been very happy with the linksys in my old house using with ntl BB.

I take it all back. Just got it to work. :):):):)

I reset all the setting on the linksys and zyxel. Then put bridging on the zyxel. The key is to then get the zyxel pppoe settings (user/pass) and put them into the linksys.
    note: You wont be able to use pppoe on the zyxel once you put it into bridging mode.

I may have been previously using an incorrect un/pw combination. Anyway if youre still having trouble after setting these, get back and I'll double check all my settings for you but Im pretty sure thats all you need to do.

Im so happy!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

Im still having problems I cant remem the password for zyxel if i reset it is there a default it goes back to or what then i might be able to try the way u suggested

• Advertisement

I worked out the default password for the zyxel so ive tried changing it to bridging and PPPoE do i also have to set the linksys to PPPoE???

The trick is once you have the zyxel with all its default settings, change it to bridging, then dont do anything else with the zyxel.

Then with the zyxel cabled up, run the cat5 from the zyxel to the linksys and feed the laptop off the linksys.

Then logon to the linksys and set pppoe on that. It should be on the first setup page when you log on. All you should ahve to do is change DHCP to ppoe and enter your username and password BT would have given you for the zyxel router.

After that, open the status page on the linksys and reconnect. If it gets an IP address then youre in. If not, Id check all connections, and make sure all the linksys settings are at default before starting. Let us know how you get on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The trick is once you have the zyxel with all its default settings, change it to bridging, then dont do anything else with the zyxel.

Then with the zyxel cabled up, run the cat5 from the zyxel to the linksys and feed the laptop off the linksys.

Then logon to the linksys and set pppoe on that. It should be on the first setup page when you log on. All you should ahve to do is change DHCP to ppoe and enter your username and password BT would have given you for the zyxel router.

After that, open the status page on the linksys and reconnect. If it gets an IP address then youre in. If not, Id check all connections, and make sure all the linksys settings are at default before starting. Let us know how you get on!!

I am haveing the same probelm and I apologise right now for posting a similar probelm on another form , again apologies.

Anyway my uers id for the zyxel is 'userid'@btbb . When I enter them on the Lisksys do I have to use @btbb, when I talked to BT support about this a few months back with anoter wireless router I can't remember of he said to use the @btbb part

Do I make sense

Yes, use the same credentials on the pppoe on the linksys as you would on the zyxel. so use your full id, e.g., userid@btbb.ie

I rang bt support too when trying to get setup and while I found them to be technical enough, they really dont support wireless routers and so cant answer as to what you should be putting in.

Yes, use the same credentials on the pppoe on the linksys as you would on the zyxel. so use your full id, e.g., userid@btbb.ie

I rang bt support too when trying to get setup and while I found them to be technical enough, they really dont support wireless routers and so cant answer as to what you should be putting in.

Thanks Clint, I'll try that tonight when I get home.
    As for BT support I found them very good, even though I was dealing with 3rd party equipment (old wireless router) they were able to tell me the stetting that should get me up and running.

• Advertisement

Sorted, used userid@btbb.ie and it is working perfect.

its still not working it keeps trying to acquire an address i have bridging set on the zyzel and my bt login on the linksys which is set to pppoe and i reset both before i did this any ideas??

got it working just there thanks for all the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 notoriousboc

hi, hopefully you can help me.

I also have a prestige 600 (BT broadband) and linksys router wrt54g setup. My problem is as follows: I can access the internet via ethernet cable through the wrt54g fine. I can also connect to the router wirelessly with an excellent signal strength. However, I cannot access the internet wirelessly. Has anyone else come across this problem? If so, I'd be very grateful if you could give me a few pointers. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Here's_Johnny

Hi,

Thanks for the previous posts.

"The trick is once you have the zyxel with all its default settings, change it to bridging, then dont do anything else with the zyxel."

When I change the mode to Bridging, I get to options for encapsulation: PPPoA (the default) and RFC1483. If I leave it at PPPoA I have to enter my ISP username and password. If I change it to RFC1483 then I don't have to enter my ISP login credentials. I've tried both but I still can't get the Linksys to connect.

On the Linksys I've changed everything exactly to what clint_silver suggested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

In the zyxel web interface 192.168.1.1 , when you have set bridging and rfc 1483, go to diagnostics and make sure all settings show "Pass".

Thanks for you reply,

I changed the mode to Bridged and the encapsulation to RFC1483, and saved the settings. When I go to Diagnostic I get two options: General and DSL line.

When I go to the General page I see a blank textbox showing nothing but "Info", and I have the option to ping an address, and a Reset System button.

On the DSL Line page I see the same big textbox showing nothing but "Info", and the following buttons: Reset ADSL Line, ATM Status, ATM Loopback Test, Upstream Noise Margin, and Downstream Noise Margin.

I am at wits end with this thing. I managed to get the internet working through my Linksys by turning the firewall and DHCP server off on the Zyxel and forwarding all ports to the Linksys. On my Linksys router I assigned a static WAN IP on the same subnet as the Zyxel. This worked, but I would like the Linksys to get an IP address from my ISP.

If anybody's got any ideas they will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Use the Wizard option, bridged, rf 1483, next etc, connect to internet, this is where all settings should show pass, it might take a few tries.

Thanks for the reply.

OK, I upgraded the firmware to these versions:

ZyNOS F/W Version: V3.40(PE.11)_20060725 | 07/25/2006
    DSL FW Version:TI AR7 05.01.03.00

Thought that might help, but alas, there is still no change in my situation.

I reset the router to the factory defaults, and then used the Wizard Option to set the following settings:

* Mode: Bridge
    * Encapsulation: RFC 1483
    * Multiplex: LLC
    * Virtual Circuit ID: VPI: 8 VCI: 35

This was the output I got from the diagnostics test:

LAN connections
    Test your Ethernet Connection PASS

WAN connections
    Test ADSL synchronization PASS
    Test ADSL(ATM OAM) loopback test FAIL

I also tried setting the VPI to 8, but got the same results from the diagnostics test. What is the ADSL(ATM OAM) loopback test?

I tried setting up a PPPoE connection in Windows, connecting my PC to the Zyxel, but when I tried to connect I got an error message telling me that the remote computer isn't responding. So it seems that the Zyxel isn't allowing any connections through it, although it is set to Bridged.

I'm very close to giving up and just forking out the money for a wireless broadband modem router, although I want to use my Linksys router :-(

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement