Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart rollout

• 13-11-2005 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

So much for "this year" - Checked my line on their site again today, and am now greeted with this: "This exchange is on our current Network Build Programme for the year 2006." (Kilkenny exchange btw)

When the first hype about smart BB came out, Kilkenny was due for july/august 2005... pfft.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

LOL Stephen have you just moved to Ireland or something? ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I know, I'm waiting for the dundrum exchange to be upgraded! Exactly the same dates you quoted! I wish I could be told a definite date when it will be up and running. Very frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Nutley exchange is the same for me! :(

It's very frustrating for us people who wish to subscribe to the services offered, but it must be just as frustrating for Smart themselves - I have no doubt that if it were possible for them to unbundle exchanges/lines that they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Wiz,

this is true, but it's still frustrating waiting for the exchanges to be unbundled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I know some one in D15 who rang up this week asking when it would be ready and she got told that they are not installing in to D15 now due to lack of intrest in the area. Im not sure how true this d15 being so big. Unless they ment her particuar easate i`ll ask her again when I see her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

Stephen wrote:
    So much for "this year" - Checked my line on their site again today, and am now greeted with this: "This exchange is on our current Network Build Programme for the year 2006." (Kilkenny exchange btw)

When the first hype about smart BB came out, Kilkenny was due for july/august 2005... pfft.

Same for Naas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Same for waterford,its fairly crappy,im going to go with NTL now hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well they raised €55 million last week and got a Mobile Licence today.

I'd say its game on over in Smart :D

I know some one in D15 who rang up this week asking when it would be ready and she got told that they are not installing in to D15 now due to lack of intrest in the area. Im not sure how true this d15 being so big. Unless they ment her particuar easate i`ll ask her again when I see her.

If you build it they will come. Anyway I read that Smart had the contract for BB for all the IT's (including Blanch) so I'm wondering how they can fulfill that contract without rolling out BB in that area. http://www.rte.ie/business/2005/0124/Smart.html
    Smart Telecom has been awarded a Public Sector Contract to provide broadband services to the country's 14 Institutes of Technology.

The announcement follows a tender process carried out by the Department of Finance. The deal involves the installation and maintenance of a dedicated, protected 10MB link between the networks of the 14 Institutes.

Now seeing as some people are not a million miles away from the IT why not branch off the line? I can't get straight answers from anyone so any help is appreciated. What part of Blanch is she in? (pm me if you don't want to give the answer here).

Cheers spooky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You've hit the nail on the head as to why Smart can't branch of the IT's network (in bold)!!!

The announcement follows a tender process carried out by the Department of Finance. The deal involves the installation and maintenance of a dedicated, protected 10MB link between the networks of the 14 Institutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Same for waterford,its fairly crappy,im going to go with NTL now hopefully.

NTL 3 Meg in Waterford::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

IS your reaction good or bad , i cant tell?

pizzahead,

I hadn't read that fully :rolleyes: But come on how much does some extra cable cost? Don't you think they would have put some extra down beside it while laying the original?

Yes that sound is me grasping at straws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Now seeing as some people are not a million miles away from the IT why not branch off the line? I can't get straight answers from anyone so any help is appreciated. What part of Blanch is she in?

Cheers spooky

I dont know the name of the estate but its beside the Heartown pub. I spoke to her husband today and said they are not comming to blanch at all and he reckoned it was a scam. His phone bill was higher and now no BB for them. So they are getting away from Smart and going ove to some one else BT i think he said.

I dont know the name of the estate but its beside the Heartown pub. I spoke to her husband today and said they are not comming to blanch at all and he reckoned it was a scam. His phone bill was higher and now no BB for them. So they are getting away from Smart and going ove to some one else BT i think he said.

The more I hear about it the more I tend to agree. It's looking like Smart aren't going to Blanch (damn). Well I'll just have to look around for someone else. It's a pity because I only use the phoneline for BB and the house alarm so am stuck paying Eircons rip off line rental charges + BB. Anyone got any other ideas?

Advertisement