Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fanless cpu coolers

Options
  • 13-11-2005 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

how good are they? for 939 cpus?
    if ur going to use them for games and such

just having a look at them on pclook

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

fanless?? cAn we get a link thats rediculous, not at all recomended at al

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

No good for a system that's used for processor intensive tasks (e.g. gaming)
    The surface area needed to dissipate the heat is just too large...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Only one I can think of is the Hipeer6 thing which is larger than most computers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

fanless is safe enough if you use the correct materials and heatpipes.

have a look at: www.hushtechnologies.net

absolute overkill, on the thermal side but does the job. The one I had a a 9600pro that was cooled with a passive heatsink as well. CPU was an athlon 3200+ I ran it on full tilt for near enough enough a week without any issues. Next time I have it, ill try some overclocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

There's one or two heatsinks good enough to run fanless.

Kama Scythe I think might be one of them. Massive yoke, big tower with fins coming out of it. I've seen it used successfully before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

yeah but its not going to work unless you have a couple of 120mm fans at fairly high speed to intake and extract heat from the case.

I cant see that being much quieter than having 2x120mm case fans plus an 80mm cpu fan all on low speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yeah but its not going to work unless you have a couple of 120mm fans at fairly high speed to intake and extract heat from the case.

They dont put out THAT much heat! Its not a furnace you know!

1 x120MM fan is enough, providing you have good ventilation. Remember that you can utilise a PSU with a 120MM fan as well.

Ive installed a few of these on 3000-3500 with silver paste: http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=17546 The fan barely spins at all even on full tilt for an hour or so. One of them was running as a server, I checked the temps today and the 3000+ core was 30Deg C. Having been running for two months.

The Hush is completely fanless, right down to the PSU. No graphics fan, no chipset fan, no case fan, nothing. Its just designed with the correct materials and heatpipes.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Get a zalman CNPS 7700, its pure copper and weighs nearly a kilo it has a very slow 120mm fan and i silent you even get a fanmate 2 controller to increase rpm if its running a bit hot, this will obviously increase volume but im sure a good compromise between volume and performance can be reached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

They dont put out THAT much heat! Its not a furnace you know!

1 x120MM fan is enough, providing you have good ventilation. Remember that you can utilise a PSU with a 120MM fan as well.

heh heh
    Yeah my old pc used to do a lot towards heating the room!
    My new one has 2x120mm fans spinning at 800rpm (minimum)
    and an akasa Evo33 with an 80mm fan on an AMD 3700+ (it doesnt start till the temp goes over 30 deg or thereabouts)

The 2 x 120mm at minimum arent enough to keep the evo heatsink cold by themselves, granted there are heatsinks with much larger surface areas than the evo.

anyway, unless the cpu cooler is partnered with a fanless graphics card cooler , a nice quiet psu and quiet case fans , its a bit pointless:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

As long as you stay under say an athlon 3500+ passive cooling is possible with the scythe kamakiri and the thermalright xp120, provided your case has good airflow. And that doesn't mean lots of fans, it means a well thought out case design and proper placement and utilisation of fans.

If you don't know your stuff don't try to passively cool.

Post up pictures of the inside of your case and i could give you some pointers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement