Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++ or Java / Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server/ advice on development

Options
  • 13-11-2005 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for a bit of advice here. I want to write an Application/Database Program with a Java/C++ Front End and an Oracle/SQL Server Backend. Now I have worked with databases before a lot of Microsoft Access and a little Oracle. I think Access is not sufficient for what I have in mind. I want my program to be able to handle at least 1000 records and maybe 10 or more multiple users updating the information. So I reckon I will need to use Oracle.

So here is what I have.
    I know Enough SQL

I know C++ [Extremely well] but not API, and I am not really sure if it’s easy to connect to a DB with this i.e. driver’s etc]

I know Java [A little Well] including Swing

Yet I think Java is probably easier and works best with Oracle [which I thing is a better DBMMS]. Also there is an entire set of classes for connectivity.

I have Don’t know what version of Oracle is sufficient for me + the prices are unreal I mean 31,000 or whether I should use MS Server.

I am going to spend the next 4 months learning all about my options before I start. But I am looking for any suggestions/ideas you may have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Adblock

Just one more thing maybe there should be a dedicated forum about databases.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you just wanting the database for development use or will it be used commercially? Both are available to download from their websites for free limited use.
    As for which one to use, when you say handle 1000 records - is this the total in a table or is it something you are planning on it handling at any one time? If the former (and also that there will be 10 concurrent connections then you could even reduce yourself to MS Access. Have you considered MySQL at all?

Re Java & JDBC - if you understand Java then there is not too much to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Postersql or however its spelt is meant to be decent and its free.

First of all I never really taught of open source as a viable option. I just don’t see it as being a reliable option. Yes this application will be used commercially. There for I’m not sure of the legal implications of using Open source software for a product I will ultimately be paid for.

I meant 1000 records in a table.

Yeah I think Java & JDBC is the way to go. But I’m just wondering if I was to use c++ as the front end and Oracle as the backend wouldn’t this mean I would be using windows API as the GUI. Also what drivers do people use to connect with c++ to an Oracle Database.

BTW: Cheers For all the comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

"First of all I never really taught of open source as a viable option.
    I just don’t see it as being a reliable option."

Reliable in what sense?

"Yes this application will be used commercially.
    There for I’m not sure of the legal implications of using Open source software
    for a product I will ultimately be paid for."

You can buy a commercial MySql License for 200euro

"I meant 1000 records in a table."

is nothing, you could use a .mdb file for that

"Yeah I think Java & JDBC is the way to go."

Why is that?

"But I’m just wondering if I was to use c++ as the front end and Oracle as
    the backend"

Oracle is a DBMS its is not a backend it is a persistant data storage layer.
    Most multiple user apps have at least a 3 tier architecture.

"Also what drivers do people use to connect with c++ to an Oracle Database."

you use ODBC to connect with a DB so use the oracel ODBC driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Adblock wrote:
    First of all I never really taught of open source as a viable option. I just don’t see it as being a reliable option.

What operating system does Google run on? Yahoo? ANY top-100 site besides MSN-network? I could go on. Suffice to say that MySQL is certainly quite reliable, and CERTAINLY moreso than Access.
    Adblock wrote:
    Yes this application will be used commercially. There for I’m not sure of the legal implications of using Open source software for a product I will ultimately be paid for.

Your only problem would be distribution; if you wanted to distribute MySQL with your app you'd need a license. If you just want to use a MySQL backend, you're fine.
    Adblock wrote:
    I meant 1000 records in a table.

I have a database here (MySQL) with around 400,000 records in a table. Haven't had any problems :)

The reason I see open source as unreliable is because I have used linux for the past 4 years and although I do like it and see advantages in it, you cannot deny that windows is still the better option for stable development.

Thanks for all the comments some really good stuff in there.

cheers

Adblock wrote:
    The reason I see open source as unreliable is because I have used linux for the past 4 years and although I do like it and see advantages in it, you cannot deny that windows is still the better option for stable development.

*blinks*

Sorry, how do you make that out? I'm genuinely fascinated. And what, precisely, does 'stable development' mean? Are you referring to stability of the development environment, or the end result, or something else entirely? Enquiring minds want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Adblock wrote:

I'd normally be interested in discussing such topics, but to be honest, I'm not convinced someone asking the development questions you're asking has the background to be able to meaningfully back up their statements.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

Adblock wrote:
    Hi all

I am looking for a bit of advice here. I want to write an Application/Database Program with a Java/C++ Front End and an Oracle/SQL Server Backend. Now I have worked with databases before a lot of Microsoft Access and a little Oracle. I think Access is not sufficient for what I have in mind. I want my program to be able to handle at least 1000 records and maybe 10 or more multiple users updating the information. So I reckon I will need to use Oracle.
    Access is probably more than capable of running a tiny database like this. In fact it was designed with this type of tiny database in mind. At a very rough guess, the Access db size would be around 1MB. Oracle is designed to handle large databases with GB of data. Even MySQL can handle databases with GB of data. Postgresql is probably the best bet for serious db work as it has a pile of Java/C++/Tcl interfacing support. And it is also Open Source - no need to feed the vultures in Microsoft.
    I have Don’t know what version of Oracle is sufficient for me + the prices are unreal I mean 31,000 or whether I should use MS Server.
    Stick with Access or MySQL. Oracle and MS SQL Server are serious databases intended for real businesses and to run Oracle properly, you need serious hardware and to run large databases properly on SQL Server you need even more .
    I am going to spend the next 4 months learning all about my options before I start. But I am looking for any suggestions/ideas you may have.
    Spend the next four months learning about databases and interfacing with them. Then come back and ask the same questions.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    I have a database here (MySQL) with around 400,000 records in a table. Haven't had any problems :)
    Hah. :) I have d'internet [1] in a MySQL database here. And for .com the tables have around 2 million records each and the transit data (domains in transit between hosters, domains being deleted/domains registered) table for November 2005 has 7519955 records. This is probably pushing MySQL to the limits but with some tweaking, furious incantations and a reasonable supply of harddrives, MySQL works.

Regards...jmcc
    [1] All the .com/net/org/biz/info/ie domains/hosters/stats going back to 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Adblock wrote:

Is this a troll?

Take the advice of people who clearly know better. You could save yourself a lot of money and (potentially) time using MySQL (for example). There are tons of online resources for working with it, your SQL knowledge will be applicable, and the C++ API looks easy enough.

Sico wrote:
    Is this a troll?
    I resent that!

anyway

I am not going to argue the good/bad of open source [may be on another forum]. I have my own reasons as to why I fell open source is just not good enough.

I know a lot of you will argue open source is the be all and end all of computer systems but as far as I am concerned I cant wait until the day the word is no longer in use!!

Ps: I did not ask for any opinion that would validate the merits of open source software. This is not relevant to the original topic.

Anyway in this case the final system will be running on XP and I do not feel it is clever to develop a system for XP in Linux.

The intention of the original post was to discover if DBMS like Access were a complete waste of time and so I could discard them completely. I now know this is not the case and Access may be a good choice.

Other than that
    Thank you for the good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Adblock wrote:
    Anyway in this case the final system will be running on XP and I do not feel it is clever to develop a system for XP in Linux.
    You do realise that you can develop open source software on Windows as well?
    The intention of the original post was to discover if DBMS like Access were a complete waste of time and so I could discard them completely. I now know this is not the case and Access may be a good choice.

To be honest, I wouldn't trust any of the answers in this thread (including mine) as being applicable to your project, given the relative paucity of information thats been provided about the project requirements.

If, as you say, you had worked with Access a lot, you should be in a better position to answer that questions yourself (given that you know theproject details) rather than trusting strangers to whom you've given far too little detail.
    Thank you for the good advice.
    You're welcome, regardless of whether it is good or not.

Someone who uses it these days will know for sure, but I seem to remember Access had ISSUES with concurrent users at one point.
    AdBlock wrote:
    I am not going to argue the good/bad of open source [may be on another forum]. I have my own reasons as to why I fell open source is just not good enough.

There's a tragic story here, I just know it. Maybe he typed "rm -r /" by accident at some point...

rsynnott wrote:
    Someone who uses it these days will know for sure, but I seem to remember Access had ISSUES with concurrent users at one point.
    Actually some of the important questions on the whole nature of the db (whether it is mainly write once/read many or continually and synchronously updated ) have not been answered - or even asked.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

1:
    Anybody who dosen't know which to use ACCESS or ORACLE
    has a very poor understanding of IT.

2:
    "I know a lot of you will argue open source is the be
    all and end all of computer systems but as far as I
    am concerned I cant wait until the day the word is no
    longer in use!!"

"Anyway in this case the final system will be running
    on XP and I do not feel it is clever to develop a system
    for XP in Linux. "

you seem to think that open source is some sort of product.

Linux is a product MySql is a product they are in no way
    related yet both are open source.

What would happen if Microsoft where to release the Windows
    code would it make windows any different.

3:
    "I now know this is not the case and Access may be a good choice."

why?, becasue so bloke on the internet told you so,

did you you do any stress tests on access to see if it will handle
    your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

From the tiny bit of information provided Access sounds fine for what you need. You could use MSDE or SQL Server Express as well. For a 1000 rows of data in a low transaction environment a text file would perform as well as an enterprise db if you handled multi-user access to it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Adblock wrote:

First - ya wha? I run a couple of Debian servers. Last time one was restarted was when the power cut. Last time the other was restarted was when the processor fan broke down. Both have managed consistant uptime of at least 11 months. I've never seen a Windows box go for more than 6 weeks without crashing.

Anyway, for your app, of the choices you've mentioned, I'd recommend C++ and Oracle, MSSQL is a pain. Not much wrong with Java, except that it's slow and you have to carry a VM. However, I'd suggest you look into Postgresql, it's free to re-distribute AFAIK (unless you modify the Postgres source code), its reliable, and it's reasonably well supported, even under Windows. Plus you can backup DBs to a file very easily. For large implementations, its not going to touch Oracle, but it doesn't sound like you're planning a large implementation.

If you do choose Java though, Cloudscape might not be a bad choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Adblock wrote:
    There for I’m not sure of the legal implications of using Open source software for a product I will ultimately be paid for.
    There aren't any, unless you try to sell someone else's code that is released under a GPL (or similar license) as commercial (you could spend days reading all the finer details of licensing, but the simple answer is - no)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Blacknight: AFAIK, you can sell someone elses code under GPL, without paying them anything. But - you must both include with this price, their source code, and any modifications or enhancements you've made to their code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Blacknight: AFAIK, you can sell someone elses code under GPL, without paying them anything. But - you must both include with this price, their source code, and any modifications or enhancements you've made to their code.
    Correct.

Advertisement