Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Decider

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great start for Cork, almost one up in 20 seconds. Cracking atmosphere as expected.

16' Finn Harps [0 - 1] Bray Wanderers

Colm Tresson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

That's what we need!!!

1-0 - John O'Flynn from a great Roy O'Donovan cross...

Gimmick faints.

King's sig. prompts a question I've been meaning to ask....why have Dublin and Cork cities got the same crest? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cork played well so far, derry not in it at all. Kenny doing a rico and went for a draw playing his "tough" mid. Has to change it and add the flair and both are on the bench.

Have Cork got a right back?

70th minute cometh the Rico Effect!!!

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Derry have been very poor so far and have offered nothing in attack. O' Flynn was totally free for the goal. Shocking marking by Derrys centre backs. Derry need to bring on McCourt and start going at Cork more.

Kearny and O' Donovan are causing all sorts of problems for Derry and Cork deserve their lead

2-0. The league goes to Cork!

Amazing goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Big anti-climax to this fixture. Derry have been very poor and are frankly lucky to be only 2-0 down. Not a chance they can claw this one back at the moment.

• Advertisement

Anti-climax? Not if you're a Cork fan! Cork have played great football, Derry haven't.

Cork deserving champions.

Both goalscorers out of contract after the cup-final...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Big anti-climax to this fixture

not the best advert for the Eircom League :(

Mossy Monk wrote:
    not the best advert for the Eircom League :(

?

Two excellent goals, Derry haven't been great but I think it's been a very good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    ?

Two excellent goals, Derry haven't been great but I think it's been a very good game.

You lazy ****er , you didnt go to dalymount !

Poor fayre, to be fair. There's a lot at stake, but does it reflect the general quality of the league? It probably does. Mind you, haven't been to a game since I moved to...erm...Cork....ironically.

Sarge wrote:
    You lazy ****er , you didnt go to dalymount !

Hehe, regretting it now though!

3-0.

• Advertisement

7/2 Cork 2-0 with PP at half-time. Went to bet on it and it disappeared......sh**e timing again on my part :(

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hehe, regretting it now though!

3-0.

PART TIME FAN !

PFFFT

Ah feck off! I've made every home game this season so you can't give out to me for missing the meaningless last game of the season.

Especially when there's a last day showdown live on the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

The League looks to be heading to Leeside now, although I'll hold off on congratulating anyone until the final whistle.

*relives horrors of 'that night in Istanbul'*

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ah feck off! I've made every home game this season so you can't give out to me for missing the meaningless last game of the season.

Especially when there's a last day showdown live on the TV.

Take pity on me , going to monaghan tomorrow night to watch Dundalks last game of the season....

feck sake i have to listen to gimmick now for a year FFS !

• Advertisement

*relives horrors of 'that night in Istanbul'*

And that night in Barcelona.

Game over here though.

Cork City Champions 2005, "fair play boy".

Inter-scrote-o Cup for Shels, :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Cork City, Kings of Ireland.

Soon to be Kings of Europe when we win the Champions League :D

Huttons face says it all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    And that night in Barcelona.
    Can't forget that one! The Istanbul match pains me though, I'm a Rossonero.

Congratulations to Cork City. Do us proud in the Champions League next season. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I watched the game (nowt better on!) and, well if thats how Derry played all season its amazing they were nearly league champions. Cork far quicker in thought and action all round.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Fair play to the Corky boyos. They were the better team on the night, and for the whole season. Derry put up a brave fight but just weren't good enough when it mattered. I think Stephen Kenny will be regretting putting Killian Brennan at left back when McCourt came on, the goal came straight from the substitution.

I hear that Kevin Doyle can get a league medal for this season. I'm sure alot of City fans will be delighted about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well done Cork City Football Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Only back from Dalymount now. Feck it, but Cork are a far superior team anyway imo, just lack a clinical goal scorer. Well done to them anyway, more than deserving champions....for now.

For next season though Shels wont fall away like this one. Only 4 points dropped in the last 12 league games, that's facing every team in the league. As a team we have finally clicked and gotten our best 11 together. I don't think Derry will challenge again next season but Shelbourne Cork will be a very interesting title duel I'd say :)

Anyway, inter toto is all good. Emulate Cork last year and with the new format we're in a European final playing for a European trophy. Excellent. With a side with the experience in Europe of Shels, it's easily possibley with the right draw we'll make one of the inter toto finals, which would be excellent for Irish football, especially if we won it.

Incidentally mr joesoap, you missed a good one. It was the opposiate end of the pitch so I didn't see it right, but if Glen Crowes goal was how it looked from where I was then it has goal of the season wrapped up. Absolutley sublime. Joey Ndo ran the show, but man of the match was Hawkins, and how he was loving it. Wso was class as usual again, and some of the link up play especially one move in particular between him and Ndo was incredible. The overall performance though wasn't that great (Though was enough to control the game), but those individuals stood out. Good atmosphere considering the expected poor crowd, Really confident about next season now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well done cork. And with that another season is over. From my point of view as a longford fan, we finished fifth a good finish, could have been higher but for the last few games and poor results. Heres to next season.

EIRCOM LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION  NOV 18 
                   P   W   D   L   F   A Pts
     Cork City    33  22   8   3  53  18  74
     Derry City   33  22   6   5  56  25  72
     Shelbourne   33  20   7   6  62  25  67
     Drogheda U   33  12  12   9  40  33  48
     Longford Tn  33  12   9  12  29  32  45
     Bohemians    33  13   6  14  42  47  45
     Bray Wndrs   33  11   6  16  40  57  39
     Waterford U  33   9   7  17  30  49  34
     UCD          33   7  12  14  28  44  33
     St Pat's A   33   7  11  15  26  36  32
     Shamrock R   33   9   8  16  33  52  27
     Finn Harps   33   5   6  22  30  51  21

How it ended.

Outside the top three there was a massive gulf in class to the rest of the league. The 7 point gap from Cork to Shels is big, but 19 points down to the 4th placed side is massive. Ah well, another season over, much to look forward to next season I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Didn't realise Bohs were as far down as 6th behind Longford. Fantastic :D

Last game of the season for me tomorrow night as it stands , We have no manager , record of 10 draws in a row , Ceo resigned , players not offered new contracts , in a huge amount of debt .

"Things can only get better "

I hope to be here next season ;)

Sarge wrote:
    record of 10 draws in a row

Get down to the bookies so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Im really pissed so excues the bad grammer.

If this is what it is like to win the league I want to win it every year.

We played the best soccer tonight and outfoxed a big Derry team.

A SPECIAL NIGHT IN LEESIDE THAT WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.:v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

for some reason i find myself in work at 10am the day after my team has won the eircom league title.. thats just not cool....

anyway last night was magic, the best night i've ever seen at the cross.. we played some magic football last night, Denis Behan was superb, came on for fenny and caused derry all sorts of bother.. he got man of the match last night and from talking to him later you could see he was chuffed..

I'm aboslutely thrilled for Rico.. he came into the club in very difficult circumstances and it took the fans a long time to warm to him.. Now the man is a leeside legend and he finally has his hands on the league title that evaded him for so, so long..

The crowd last night was amazing.. the atmosphere was electric, and the fact that the ground was 3/4 full an hour before kick off speaks volumes.. the Shed's last night, and it was nice to see a cork fella score the last goal into the it..

I coudnt post without mentioning the Derry fans... the greatest bunch of lads i've ever met, sound out and very gracious in defeat.. legends the lot of em...

I'm off to find a corner to sleep in...

bah they earned their own thread...

Derry didnt couldnt play, simple as Cork were better in every position. IN the 2nd half Derry showed glimpses of how they play with some nice passing moves. But Cork just owned them tbh.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    1-0 - John O'Flynn from a great Roy O'Donovan cross...

Gimmick faints.

Not far off it at the time. Certainly was dizzy I was shouting so much.

What a night. City were brilliant, Derry were like lost little boys. They bottled the occassion completely. I dont think they ever seriously threatened.

Best athmsphere Ive ever seen. I was in the ground at 6.40, and the place was full already, and in full voice. I dont know how much of the scenes at the end were on telly, but it was pure euphoria. Seeing Derek Coughlan march the players into the Shed for a bit of singing was class. They even left the trophy go, so the fans could get their hands on it.

These kind of scenes will never be seen again, and dare I suggest, have never happened anywhere in this, or any league. There is such a special bond here between the club and the fans - that made the victory so much sweeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Cork fully deserved to win the league and the game last night . Derry were dreadful , I just can't believe how poor they were .

Luckily for Drogheda they have made the Uefa Cup now , they could have been in some serious finnancial trouble had they failed to do so .

gimmick wrote:
    They even left the trophy go, so the fans could get their hands on it.

These kind of scenes will never be seen again, and dare I suggest, have never happened anywhere in this, or any league. There is such a special bond here between the club and the fans - that made the victory so much sweeter.

Tv sucked mics were on the sidelines, altho you could see the Shed singing and cheering, hearing them wasnt possible.

Did you drink a pint of Guinness out of the cup? Or drink from it full of whiskey?;) Hoped they cleaned it from last time i had it :p

kdjac

• Advertisement

Whiskey and Cider. I didnt touch it, as that particular combination destroyed me years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

gimmick wrote:
    Whiskey and Cider. I didnt touch it, as that particular combination destroyed me years ago.

ha ha, the good old munster senior cup.. a guaranteed brain cell killer.. not as bad as th u21 cup tho, as the players werent allowed to drink out of it so i got hammered off it..

Big derek coughlan was going around with the cup on friday night and made sure everyone got a lash off it.. in fact i may have had more than the one.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Congratulations Cork. Both Cork and Derry went at it in tis final game and it was a good advert for the LOI.

Its good for the league to see the title being spread around the country and to the 2nd largest city. Has it been 12 years since Cork last won? If so, it makes it all the more savoury.

Its a long wait until the CL next year but best of luck in it.

redspider

1993 was the last title. In the mean time, CCFC have finished runners up 4 times, so to finally see the line being crossed again is magic.

I dont think anyone will deny that Cork City have been the best team this season, and heres hoping next year we will be celebrating again.

Advertisement