Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Essays

• 13-11-2005 3:31pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How long approx. should an higher level Irish essay be.
    I usually write about 2 A4 pages, is that about right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

mine would normally be 3 and a half to 4 and a half pages.For the LC you need to write 500-600 words.Its unlikely that 2 pages is enough(maybe if you've small writing!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

filo87 wrote:
    mine would normally be 3 and a half to 4 and a half pages.For the LC you need to write 500-600 words.Its unlikely that 2 pages is enough(maybe if you've small writing!)
    i'm the same as filo87, i write a minimum of 3 pages and a max of 4 and a half/5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I'm not able to write more than about three but aparently they need to be four plus, I seem to recall six being the number...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I write about 4 dt is enough imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Le Rack wrote:
    I'm not able to write more than about three but aparently they need to be four plus, I seem to recall six being the number...
    SIX??? :eek:

that's crazy talk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

SIX??? :eek:

that's crazy talk!
    What she said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

yep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

k, was just passing by and spotted this thread (I did the LC last year). I'd say about 3 pages would be your best bet (especially if your Irish [grammar!] isn't the best - less room for mistakes). If you feel really confident or want to show off your eloquence as Gaeilge then go for four.....but any more is tres risky...imo anyways.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Im fairly f*cked then, i can barely scrape together two and half pages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

We were told two and a half would do. Depends on the size of your handwriting really. Also, on the exam booklets the margins are wider, less room for writing, so that'd be three or so pages of those.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

k, was just passing by and spotted this thread (I did the LC last year). I'd say about 3 pages would be your best bet (especially if your Irish [grammar!] isn't the best - less room for mistakes). If you feel really confident or want to show off your eloquence as Gaeilge then go for four.....but any more is tres risky...imo anyways.

:)

I did about half a page in my LC last year and interpreted the essay title wrong and got a load of marks for it :eek:
    Think I got off really lucky:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Three should cover you.Four is more than enough.Any more and you're just showing off, which an examiner might not like sitting in their beach house correcting it all during the summer holidays....
    Yeah I know it'll probably be the kitchen, but seriously less is more.Quality over quantity.2 pages of near flawless Irish is much better than six pages of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

2 and a half to three is plenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I normally write about 3. If you write less than 2 they automatically take half the marks off of you, so if it's out of 100 (i think it is, isn't it?)they start marking you out of 50. That's what my Irish teacher told us anyway and it's absolutely ridiculous because you could write fantastic Irish and get less than someone who droned on and made loads of mistakes! What if you run out of time?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Its quality not quantity, aslong as you stick to the topic thats being asked and get as much in there as possible without babbling along with good vocabulary - theres no fear.

5 pages in Irish is just being silly.. Im fluent, and would never bother going through all the hassle to write 5 pages, there are other questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 killermonkey

2 pages is def not enough if youre going for a half decent mark in higher level irish. essay is worth 100 marks and as in english, the more u write the more likely u are to score well. not that quantity should outweigh quality but you get almost 3 hours in the lc paper 1 exam u have loads of time... aim for 3 or 4 at least! especially if the comprehensions are manageable. i ended up doing 8 pages in my essay! it was my longest ever - just shows that if u prepare for the exam you will have more than enough time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I can't imagine writing 8 pages!:eek:

Before I dropped down to pass I was writing in and around 2 pages. After the JC, I've somehow lost the ability to waffle, meaning everything I write is half the length it used to be!

But I still get Bs and sometimes As in my writing. Strange!

Advertisement