Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase the posts per page count?

Options
  • 13-11-2005 3:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Any chance we can have a larger posts per page value? At the moment the max is 40, but I'm always thinking it would be nice to have up to say, 100?
    It's simple to implement, and would only affect the people who want it.

S.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yes, I too would like that, as I have no internet at home, I don't get to check boards regularly and the Afterhours new posts can run onto 2-3 pages, tis annoying. Then again, I will have the internet at home in the next week!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'd like to see the ability for more but I'd imagine 40 is the max because pulling more than 40 database entries per query every time someone loads a page would put a strain on the DB server

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

steveland? wrote:
    I'd like to see the ability for more but I'd imagine 40 is the max because pulling more than 40 database entries per query every time someone loads a page would put a strain on the DB server
    I think that'd be the main issue. I've seen even simple apps with a local web server & local SQL server slow down significantly when processing any more than 50 rows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

If we be quiet about it, then only the people who want more per page can have it.
    Give somebody the option and they will take it - don't tell them it's there and they won't notice it's missing, kinda thing.

Ok, pull more than 40 at one time would be heavier on the server, but then if there's more than 40, then you wouldn't need to do it as often.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Maybe an option to "Display all unread Posts" on one page would be better. Obviously have a limit of 100 or 150, then you remove the loading of all the unread post containing threads for people who select the 200 post option. I don't know if that A) made sense B) is possible to do.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

seamus wrote:
    I think that'd be the main issue. I've seen even simple apps with a local web server & local SQL server slow down significantly when processing any more than 50 rows.

Hmm, if anything, I would have said the opposite. After all, fewer distinct queries are involved when someone reads a thread... Memory usage might go up a little on the db server, I suppose, depending on how the db in question handles it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

seamus wrote:
    make it subscribers-only \o/

This is the answer to many problems.

Even better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

seamus wrote:

I'd say there's more than 50 queries on every page now, and each content query is working on a table of significantly more than 50 rows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

50 queries? I'd doubt that :)

The bulk of a thread (the posts and user details) could easily be gleamed in one query. I've found that the performance issues occur when dealing with a returned dataset of more than 50 rows - the actual size of the database itself not as relevant.

It may not be an issue for boards though.

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

page loading times might be longer, but more than 40 per page, would definatly be handier!

zenith wrote:
    I'd say there's more than 50 queries on every page now, and each content query is working on a table of significantly more than 50 rows.
    Most of what's returned on a thread being viewed can be done in one query.

One query gets your post's text, the forum it's in and cross references the poster id returned for each post with the user data (username, avatar, join date, location, posts, forums you mod, IM details, signature and in the case of moderators on their own forums their ability to moderate the forums)

Also it's not as much the amount of queries (they can take time too but the page can be parsed while the other queries are being... queried) or the amount of rows that actually exist in the table, it's mainly the amount of rows each query returns. I'd imagine the max is 40 because it leaves a cushion to allow for faster loading times than any amount over 50 rows

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd like to have a compressed view like a conversational format rather than have to scroll so much whitespace between posts and have all that crap down the side about how many posts the users have made etc.

Surely a new html page could be made for this each time a thread is added to and then no requirement for such a cross query. It would be faster too.

I'd like to have a compressed view like a conversational format rather than have to scroll so much whitespace between posts and have all that crap down the side about how many posts the users have made etc.

Surely a new html page could be made for this each time a thread is added to and then no requirement for such a cross query. It would be faster too.
    Try the PDA skin

Edit: Sorry, Mobile

Advertisement