Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your classic car;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Beetle first, Jag next, and now the brown 924...!

What about the Rover SD1 in the background of the Jag photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Diegodelizia

DaveCol wrote: »
    What about the Rover SD1 in the background of the Jag photo?

Actually that picture was taken before I bought it, could not find a picture of when I had it myself. Got it in Oxfordshire from a guy who mostly dealt in classic Rovers. Hence the SD1.

About the XJS... a lifelong dream, most beautiful car in history IMHO, but what a nightmare it turned out to be. Apart from spending most of its time at the mechanic's while I owned it, it developed an infuriating condition whereby the heating was always on full blast and there was no way to stop it. Very uncomfortable as a family car :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kieran811

hi, this is my mazda 323, 1977

only needs minor work to get road worthy, it is very clean inbellow, no signs of rot at all bar a couple small bits size of a 5 p, have bought 2 nos wings, full exhaust system for it but now it just needs striped down, sanded and resprayed, the engine runs great, starts no bother and has only 36 thousand miles done, its auto at the minute but mite keep it that way cause would like keep it totally original as possible cause dnt think there is many of these left in ireland, but would love to change it over to manual. this is going to be my first car ive restored, i just like the look of it and seem a great little car,

323.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

corktina wrote: »
    Now

Really? its 1996 i dont really know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

kieran811 wrote: »

only needs minor work to get road worthy, it is very clean inbellow, no signs of rot at all bar a couple small bits size of a 5 p, have bought 2 nos wings, full exhaust system for it but now it just needs striped down, sanded and resprayed, the engine runs great, starts no bother and has only 36 thousand miles done, its auto at the minute but mite keep it that way cause would like keep it totally original as possible cause dnt think there is many of these left in ireland, but would love to change it over to manual. this is going to be my first car ive restored, i just like the look of it and seem a great little car,

323.jpg

My uncle had one of them he bought it new and i remember going in it and at the time it was top spec wow amazing how time just passes and it was a great car and still is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

patwicklow wrote: »
    Really? its 1996 i dont really know?

If its special to you, a cherished car lets say, then it's a classic. I'm sure if you took it to a show and its a tidy low mileage example, you'd get loads of people looking it over and "I had one of these " type comments.

You might get Classic Insurance on it too if you ask. Ive a 1990 Sierra on mine.

(we need pictures really)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

hi, this is my mazda 323, 1977.....

As an auto I'd say its probably unique, nice car, always liked them, they were a very good reliable car too. Theres one in a field in Carrickmines somewhere, there are photos on the abandoned cars thread, maybe its good for something.

I think the original ad had a Japanese Karate guy smashing up planks of wood if thats any help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

patwicklow wrote: »
    I have a 96 fiesta only 35000 miles on it its in the garage like new inside and out
    when will it count as a classic lads?

I wonder if this is the '89+ model (Mk3?) ... I've only seen a handful of 1996 regd. ones of those before the new model was introduced. If it's the earlier car they've completely vanished off the roads and yes, imho it would be interesting. Best Fiesta design in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

323.jpg
    Good to see its not going to go the way of the MK1 Granadas behind it!;)
    It's true what they say, not all banger drivers are wreckers!
    Welcome to boards Mr McIvor.
    I don't think anyone else on here owns a Mazda like that one, nice to see one escape the crusher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kieran811

323.jpg
    Good to see its not going to go the way of the MK1 Granadas behind it!;)
    It's true what they say, not all banger drivers are wreckers!
    Welcome to boards Mr McIvor.
    I don't think anyone else on here owns a Mazda like that one, nice to see one escape the crusher.

The mark 1 needed 3 weeks of welding even to make it safe to banger race, wouldnt wreck a car if its too good, this was bought to race as i bought it without seeing it but once i lifted it i couldnt wreck it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭squonk

n5pxsj.jpg

28roarm.jpg

fc358g.jpg

Lovely car! I couldn't catch the plate but it's not the same Starlet as in this video by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ywAmo5IkI&sns=em

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

squonk wrote: »
    Lovely car! I couldn't catch the plate but it's not the same Starlet as in this video by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ywAmo5IkI&sns=em
    Yep,thats the same Car alright,have a looksie at some of the other Videos it also appears,its a STARlet:D.

Ha ha! Busted Dryadssaddle!!! :D. Are you Mother Focal? If so, thanks for a great nights entertainment in the Roisin Dubh the other night! Well done on the car! It's fantastic! Sorry for a brief trip OT guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

Ha ha! Busted Dryadssaddle!!! :D. Are you Mother Focal? If so, thanks for a great nights entertainment in the Roisin Dubh the other night! Well done on the car! It's fantastic! Sorry for a brief trip OT guys!!

Ha ha, that is the car and apologies for that awful gig. We literally got 3 hours notice. Very very unprepared.

Ha ha, that is the car and apologies for that awful gig. We literally got 3 hours notice. Very very unprepared.

Nothing wrong with it at all! I loved the Luss song! It's rare you get a comedy support on par with the main act! Gimme a shout next time ye're back this way. If Wed was ye unprepared, I'm really looking forward to ye in full flow!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

Nothing wrong with it at all! I loved the Luss song! It's rare you get a comedy support on par with the main act! Gimme a shout next time ye're back this way. If Wed was ye unprepared, I'm really looking forward to ye in full flow!

Aw, that's great to hear. Thanks very much. I'll definitely give ya a shout the next time we're playing in Galway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Calgarian

How mine was looking the last time I drove it..

20110701170914.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

the new daily runner!

23042012.jpg

23042012001.jpg

23042012007.jpg

23042012008.jpg

23042012009.jpg

23042012013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

the new daily runner!

Great car, just goes on and on. Remember the LE (Luxury Equipment?)White / Red color-coded versions and the Gardai had DE (Deleted Equipment?) versions.

ep71 wrote: »
    the new daily runner!

What year is she? She's one of the early ones from what I remember. I loved that version of the Corolla. I remember being very disappointed as a young lad when I saw the ads for the replacement model in 1988. The replacement lost all character. Just shows how far things have come that even a cheap runabout now has two wing mirrors! Any chance of some interior shots, just to bring back some memories? Well done!!!!

• Advertisement

What year is she? She's one of the early ones from what I remember. I loved that version of the Corolla. I remember being very disappointed as a young lad when I saw the ads for the replacement model in 1988. The replacement lost all character. Just shows how far things have come that even a cheap runabout now has two wing mirrors! Any chance of some interior shots, just to bring back some memories? Well done!!!!

lucky you remembering when they were new! she's early 85 hence the early grille and lack of a passenger mirror, nearly three years older than myself! yep the later 88 - 91 corollas were a far lesser car in my eyes anyway, i'll take a few interior shots later on, seats etc are mint!

Capri wrote: »
    Great car, just goes on and on. Remember the LE (Luxury Equipment?)White / Red color-coded versions and the Gardai had DE (Deleted Equipment?) versions.

yes the 1.6 le also came with an electric sunroof, never saw a garda spec one but im aware of the later carinas and corollas being dli which maybe deleted equipment injection or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ep71 wrote: »
    yes the 1.6 le also came with an electric sunroof, never saw a garda spec one but im aware of the later carinas and corollas being dli which maybe deleted equipment injection or something!
    Wasn't the standard Corolla back then a DX?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Wasn't the standard Corolla back then a DX?

yes

low quality pic of rolla

545923_10150822852537860_831597859_9306961_1426617705_n.jpg

579437_10150822851967860_831597859_9306955_1691316748_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 needsomeparts

Nice car. how do find spares for it.
    Have just got my 200 5t out of the garage after eight years and i hasnt done it much good think i need a few body parts.
    Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Nice car. how do find spares for it.
    Have just got my 200 5t out of the garage after eight years and i hasnt done it much good think i need a few body parts.
    Regards.

Nice to hear of another survivor.
    How bad is it? Do you have any pictures?

Here is mine as it stands nearing the end of its restoration.
    6883854990_24e0dd3524.jpg
    7029953973_917875e57d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 needsomeparts

What have you got left to do.
    Mine has rusty floor pans at the back extending to both side inner sills and the bottom of the doors are showing signs of rust and one front wing needs changing.put a cam belt on it yesterday and it stated 2nd time which i found amazing.

Am looking around for a welder at the moment have spoken to a few but one of them showed real enthusiasm about the car so will wait to see what price he comes up with havnt got a clue on welding prices anymore as i guess new cars dont rust anymore.

Will take a few pics of it in its sorry state .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Mine has rusty floor pans at the back extending to both side inner sills and the bottom of the doors are showing signs of rust and one front wing needs changing.put a cam belt on it yesterday and it stated 2nd time which i found amazing.

Am looking around for a welder at the moment have spoken to a few but one of them showed real enthusiasm about the car so will wait to see what price he comes up with havnt got a clue on welding prices anymore as i guess new cars dont rust anymore.

Will take a few pics of it in its sorry state .
    Make sure you're welder is gentle on the panel's of you're car I've seen too many welding jobs where someone has gone in as if they are welding a set of box iron gates and distorting panels to ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

I have replaced most of the outside over the last 18 months, I have moved to the inside now!

Parts are not easily found but do turn up from time to time, mainly in Germany. Some of them are not cheap (PM me if you need any help)

Rust on the roof is the main problem with the Type 43, most cars have it to some degree as they rust from the inside due to a design flaw. It starts behind the sunroof so have a good look! I had to replace the entire roof on mine with a NOS roof shipped from Germany.
    The Fuel metering head may need a refurb as they don't like standing and the auto boxes are fragile.

Advertisement