Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your classic car;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Is it just me or are Capri's looking better and better as time goes by?

I'd like to see Ford do a retro version like the mustang in the US.

Retro rebuilds -

http://singervehicledesign.com/

http://www.jaguarspeedster.com/pages/eagle-speedster-concept-and-development

http://classicrecreations.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Capri wrote: »
    Here's one that was mentioned here before - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3439087 . Few things I change, the 'S' rear spoiler ( tho it'd leave holes in the boot) , the '3000 V6' side badges, and put a chrome strip round the waist ( tho the original Ford Chrome/rubber insert one isn't available )

That Capri sold a couple of months back and was advertised at the time for €3k. Pretty sure a boardsie bought it coz I was tempted myself. Wonder why it's selling so quick at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You can see I maxxed mine on the Autobahn a few times :cool:

:)

Remember the Tickford? Didnt they make a capri?

I agree, I'd much rather a well restored period vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I brought this back from Bavaria last week
    599699_10150895609253682_2004884985_n.jpg
    481205_10150895613073682_698008681_10161681_1813500306_n.jpg
    581203_10150895612743682_863396184_n.jpg

It's a rare VW LT40 4x4. Only about 1200 were build of these. Probably only around 400 highroof panelvans. They could be got as LT40 as mid-length panelvan with high or normal roof and as LT45 Sika or Doka flatbed or chassis.

The drivetrain in these has nothing to do with VW's Syncro or Audis Quattro drivetrain. It's a 6-cyl LT engine, either 90 bhp petrol or 102 bhp turbo-diesel with a normal LT 5-gear dogleg gearbox. Lower gear-ratios though than the RWD ones. On top of that, it has a proper transferbox with settings for RWD, 4WD and 4WD low. They all had rear difflock default, front difflock came optionally. The last ones of these came with the NP242 transferbox, that also could be locked in 4-high and 4-low positions.

Mine has front and rear difflock and a few other bells and whistles. Originally it belonged to the Austrian Postal services and was used as transmissions vehicle and mobile office.

/M

• Advertisement

That'll gobble some of those Typ 25 Syncro's off the trails :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

That yoke is too big to go on the trails and there are very few vehicles that will get any where near a T25 Syncro on a trail .....

Experience is everything

w124man wrote: »
    That yoke is too big to go on the trails and there are very few vehicles that will get any where near a T25 Syncro on a trail .....

Experience is everything

It's big alright, but actually doesn't have a lot of bodyroll. De Vries build some LT 4x4's on the same basis for the Paris-Dakar and used them. Well capable.

I also have a T4 Syncro Caravelle and agree, the LT is a completely different animal. It has it's advantage with the low-4WD box over the Syncro and also has the ground gear on top of that, like a T3 Syncro, but the size obviously gives it some disadvantages.

I agree that experience is everything. And how well the driver knows their car/van. And no, the LT is not too big to go on trails.

My aim was to find something with more space than the T3. The T4 has that, but still can get very crammed if you're on the road for more than just a few days. The LT is suitable for living weeks at a time, properly fitted out and still very offroad capable in 4x4 guise. That and there are very few around of them. I know of maybe one other 4x4 LT in Ireland and maybe 4 or 5 in the UK.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

Marlow wrote: »
    And no, the LT is not too big to go on trails.

There was a guy in Scotland who built a fabulous camper out of an LT 4x4. He ran a business called Syncronutz and when he went on the trails he took his T25 Syncro

w124man wrote: »
    There was a guy in Scotland who built a fabulous camper out of an LT 4x4. He ran a business called Syncronutz and when he went on the trails he took his T25 Syncro

Well, the LT is too nice to take on the trails. That's the problem. It's been repainted and all. You're talking about Russel.

Here's the grand overview of Russels LT40.

He build the thing for a Sahara crossing as far as I know, but has changed his mind and it's for sale for 25k GBP. He's back in SA himself as far as I know. He's also sold the orange Doka T3 Syncro he had.

Also his LT is even higher than mine, because he changed the high roof, for a Sven Hedin step roof, which is even higher.

The other guy, that is part of Syncronutz also has a LT40 4x4. A low-milage car that used to belong to the german fire services.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 pooldbest

My 1979 Silver 633 along with a red 1978 635 and the dark brown 1985 635.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Confusedvrtman

88 Firebird

Inside, so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Inside, so far!

Nice,do you have any problems with the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

88 Firebird

:cool:

me likes this very muchy !!!
    love one of them someday ..... yours looks well cared for ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

88 Firebird

Is that the one I've spotted around longford a couple of times this year?

249166_10151185052269816_1873762841_n.jpg
    555230_10150934393568221_2123531692_n.jpg
    547414_10150934378458221_900136544_n.jpg
    550513_10150802898390834_192109431_n.jpg
    542472_10150934396873221_738838220_9686028_771771936_n.jpg

My T/A had the T-roof removable glass panels - think it was a bit 'flexable' on rough roads around Malahide :rolleyes:

My T/A had the T-roof removable glass panels - think it was a bit 'flexable' on rough roads around Malahide :rolleyes:

The T-Tops look great but I've heard they've rigidity problems. Were they Hurst or Fisher Tops?

TBMK they were 'Fisher body' - think the Hurst woulda been earlier 'experimental' until GM decided to do it in-house :confused:

That black one certainly brings back memories - pity no T-roof but probably more rigid. ( I actually put a 'Screaming bird' type decal on one of my Capris - and a 'Corvette' f/glass bonnet bulge on another, then got the REAL McCoy)
    (Remember also one time trying to trade in the Capri 3.0 for a black deTomaso Pantera that was for sale in Lad Lane back when Huets were there - the deTomaso wasn't in Huets tho, another 'Arfur Daley' nearby !!
    http://www.panteracars.com/5162009mm.htm - deTomaso and a Shelby, could be happily retired now if I'd done the right thing !!!!)

• Advertisement

Thanks, not really a forum man so cant do that multiple qoute thing :o

I havent brought it for an nct yet although do plan to, dash can be removed though and normal wheel but back on so no probs regards that anyway, thats the least of the worries :)

It still needs work, I bought it about a year ago and was rough so although long way to go to what I want has still come a long way too.

And no that was never this one in Longford, although most likely do know that lad you mean, his one an 89.

I do only pop on rarely but just threw them up anyway to have a look and join in :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Went for a great blast around the Sally Gap yesterday. :)

Surprisingly little traffic made for a very nervous wife in the passenger seat!

sallygap_porsche.jpg

Made an 'investment' ( in a bottomless pit LOL :D )

'Princess' Dyane has now entered my life - still a bit of tax on it so I can motor around and see what needs doing.

2CV's bit thin on the ground and more expensive, this is the 'runt of the pack' so much cheaper !

This is the 'after' pic - what it'll look like next year !!! :D;)

Made an 'investment' ( in a bottomless pit LOL :D )

'Princess' Dyane has now entered my life - still a bit of tax on it so I can motor around and see what needs doing.

2CV's bit thin on the ground and more expensive, this is the 'runt of the pack' so much cheaper !

This is the 'after' pic - what it'll look like next year !!! :D;)

No yank tank? I am disappoint! :(

Best of luck with the new bus. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

No before pic??
    Is it the one that was for sale on dd recently?

Best if luck with it, it's probably rarer than a 2 cc now anyway.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    No yank tank? I am disappoint! :(

Best of luck with the new bus. ;)

I wouldn't bet on it - last time I had a 2cv I ALSO had the Shelby Mustang :eek::eek: Chalk and Cheese - Guzzler and Sipper

ANYTHING can happen - chap who sold me Dyane says he might have a cheap V8 ............... for me to look at tomorrow.

Be aware MCM.. that I sometimes 'tweak' the Yankiness of things
    Opel Vectra/Omega with Cadillac Cimmaron / Catera badges :p
    Jeep Cherokee with 'HAMMER' on the front/back :p
    Merc Sprinter with 'DODGE SPRINTER' grille ;)

It's all about keeping the buzz going

( Might even put the US-spec chrome bumper overbars on the Dyane :eek::confused: )

kev1.3s wrote: »
    No before pic??
    Is it the one that was for sale on dd recently?

Best if luck with it, it's probably rarer than a 2 cc now anyway.

Don't worry, I WILL post before pics in the next few days - pi**ing rain here now so too wet to get photos - yes, it was the TZW one on DD

Bit of T-cut and a colour match from Vinny Byrne and you'd not notice anything at 75mph !!!!

Chap I know has a French registered 2CV that has been driven over and back from Nantes ten times! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Ryano87

IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Nice one Ryano.

By the way, are these MGs good cars in general? I mean reliability wise, engineering, handling, comfort, etc.?

Advertisement