Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your classic car;

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The two tone ended some time in the mid sixties.

I had a '68 that was duotone (white/blue)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

29f4dtz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

here be mine, though not for very much longer..

280E 002.jpg

280E 004.jpg

280E 005.jpg

280E 006.jpg

I've had the pleasure of driving this for almost 5 years, as a daily for most of that, but unfortunately it's time to move her on.
    (excuse the quality but they're phone pics)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Capri wrote: »
    THAT'S what I mean by 'do the homework' - the 'homework' being basically that Revenue have you by the balls once you've embarked on the route of buying a UK (or other) car.

You bought a UK reg car in Ireland ?

1) WHY didn't the seller register it first :confused: ( Because he knew the VRT was enormous ?? ) OR , if he was a 'dealer' then why did he let you do the donkey work ?

2) IF you had brought it to Revenue before buying it , then they possibly would have seized it as it was an 'illegal' in the country

3) The 'solution' to this , as Seweryn did basically , was to deprive the state of revenue if the state can't be upfront about how much they're going to charge ( The state is saying, ' bring your toy to us and we'll think of a figure, if you decide not to pay us, we'll seize your toy and you'll still end up paying us :D:D ' )

There you have it in a nutshell

Two examples of personal experiences -
    1) wanted to bring in R Rover P38 as commercial, asked Revenue for specs so I could convert , Revenue said I should get it converted and certified by 'Qualified engineer', but they 'couldn't give me a list of Qualified engineers' :confused::confused:
    Result - RR sold for 'spares' :p:p , no revenue for state
    2) Friend bought Cossie 3dr, asked Revenue for VRT ' circa €3k' they said, - and VRT for Cossie 4dr 'circa €700' - 'Why the difference?' ' Our 'expert' tells us the 3drs is a collectors car :p '
    Result - Cossie garaged,taxed and driven in the North when he wants a blast

Revenue - constantly shooting themselves in the foot :p:p

I don't know. Personally I'd do what Jayo did and stump up the cash, appeal later and hope for the best. If I had to garage my classic up north I wouldn't feel I really owned it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I haven't been driving my classic much this winter, so I thought I'd throw up a few shots to remind myself of what it looks like :D

Yes, it's another Merc, but an unusual one, in that it's not restored, it's (almost completely) original. One owner until 2008/29k miles meant it was almost perfect. Now standing at 36k miles and just new tyres, undersealing and a few odds and ends.

_MG_0027-Version21.jpg

_MG_0013-Version21.jpg

_MG_0005-Version2.jpg

_MG_0983-Version2.jpg

_MG_0017-Version2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Type 17 wrote: »
    I haven't been driving my classic much this winter, so I thought I'd throw up a few shots to remind myself of what it looks like :D

Yes, it's another Merc, but an unusual one, in that it's not restored, it's (almost completely) original. One owner until 2008/29k miles meant it was almost perfect. Now standing at 36k miles and just new tyres, undersealing and a few odds and ends.

_MG_0027-Version21.jpg

I'm not the biggest Merc fan but that is stunning.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

h3000 wrote: »

I'm not the biggest Merc fan but that is stunning.
    My sentiment exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

I am a Merc fan and its stunning right down to the proper letters on the plates

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

_MG_0027-Version21.jpg

_MG_0013-Version21.jpg

_MG_0005-Version2.jpg

_MG_0983-Version2.jpg

_MG_0017-Version2.jpg
    That's beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

mk2 granada stretch and mk3 capri.. CI5:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Maybe a little Tax/insurance holder at the bottom of the w/shield ? Like 2 x m/cycle tax holders http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124359

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

steveone wrote: »
    CI5:D

:cool:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

Since we are posting piccies of our classics, I thought I'd post one of mine taken in France last year.

IMG_0714a.jpg

I normally run proper 'year appropriate' plates but whilst in France I find we get better service if I use Euro style plates. I was told its because we are not mistaken for being from GB !!

Just lookin' at the French road markings - 2 coats of paint v's the 10 coats that ours seem to get - cost savings ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Ya can't beat old German Luxobarges. The last two Mercs on this page are gorgeous. We have a '92 730i but it goes through petrol as if its going out of fashion so its off the road for now. But you can't beat the feeling of wafting along the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmac121

don't see many (any) of these around

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

jmac121 wrote: »

Jaaaaayyyus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭squonk

Trully horrific! Makes you wonder why people bother maiming their cars like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Not my cup of tea, even if it is "Sorted" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

w124man wrote: »
    Since we are posting piccies of our classics, I thought I'd post one of mine taken in France last year.

IMG_0714a.jpg

I normally run proper 'year appropriate' plates but whilst in France I find we get better service if I use Euro style plates. I was told its because we are not mistaken for being from GB !!

When ever I drive on the continent, I always put one of those IRL stickers on the front as well (a tip from an old trucker).
    It seems a lot of Europe has a dislike of the British.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

aujopimur wrote: »
    It seems a lot of Europe has a dislike of the British.

No, it's just the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Indeed, I have come across quite a few English drivers with "Ecosse" or "Cymru" badges on their cars when holidaying around France.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

_MG_0027-Version21.jpg

_MG_0013-Version21.jpg

_MG_0005-Version2.jpg

_MG_0983-Version2.jpg

_MG_0017-Version2.jpg
    Beautiful car , but any more information , history , like how old it is ? how it was looked after so well etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Tiger72 wrote: »
    Beautiful car , but any more information , history , like how old it is ? how it was looked after so well etc :)

Bought new in Nov '76 from Arlington of Bedford, MB main dealer (original Arlington rear-window sticker and tax-disc holder still present).
    Spent all its life a few miles away in Ware, Hertfordshire. Always garaged when at home.
    The first owner, Leslie Albert Dutch, owned a business in Ware, about 1 mile from his house, and owned the car until his death in 2004. The car was left in the garage until after the death of his widow in 2008.
    It was bought from the estate and recommissioned by a local car fan, who sold it to me a year or so later, at 31k miles.
    Amongst a load of receipts and original MB spares and accessories, the car came with every tax disc from new, and most MOTs since the late 80's.

_MG_0027-Version21.jpg

I only drive it to shows, and on Mercedes Club runs, and it still lives indoors today.

Brits loves their 'service / tax / mot papers' ;) - only trouble is the salt still rots them :eek: Don't know of many owners that'd steam clean the undersides after a week of salt treated road driving :(

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

does that car look like its eaten with salt,same old bs knocking,do you not get bored with it,
    A fantastic car thank you for posting pictures,

• Registered Users Posts: 43 buttsoirl

After 10 years of wanting.. drooling.. .searching.. hoping.. waiting... dreaming.... and many other words..

I finally bought one... and she is perfect!! 1967 Ford mustang fastback..

california car.. not a patch of rust, engine rebuilt before export.. 55k miles.. few small cosmetic items to attend to... but she is sweet
    as a nut..

photo.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

buttsoirl wrote: »
    After 10 years of wanting.. drooling.. .searching.. hoping.. waiting... dreaming.... and many other words..

I finally bought one... and she is perfect!! 1967 Ford mustang fastback..

california car.. not a patch of rust, engine rebuilt before export.. 55k miles.. few small cosmetic items to attend to... but she is sweet
    as a nut..

photo.JPG
    Nice!! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

congrats well you may wear it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off the keyboard.

That is gorgeous!!!

Fair play for biting the bullet, I hope it brings you many many grin filled miles:cool:

Advertisement