Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your classic car;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

my 1987 saab 900 2 door flat front 8 valve
    f2b45960-1410-4693-8d74-e007962ec205_zpsdc53bdd8.jpg

Laugh out loud!!! German plates on a Swedish car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

w124man wrote: »
    Laugh out loud!!! German plates on a Swedish car!!
    Do they not have Saab's in Germany ???

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Saabturbonut

w124man ,whats wrong with that , they actually manufactured the 2 door 900's in finland not sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

w124man ,whats wrong with that , they actually manufactured the 2 door 900's in finland not sweden
    An *incorrect* font on your plate doesn't go down well here with some plate-nuts. :P

I'm all for owners choice - as long as it's not comic sans!

Lovely car, btw.

• Advertisement

thanks capri for that , would be tempted when i get another 900 going
    brian

and thanks dades for the comment

thanks capri for that , would be tempted when i get another 900 going
    brian

634 WPI would fit but not sure about the 'new' year plates with 8 digits :confused: Maybe Do-More can get some genuine ones :confused:

Saab didn't make cars in Finland but a part Saab - Scania owned contractor to Saab - Scania did - Valmet Automotive. They also made Mercedes and BMW to name but a few. Oh, and Lada as well!!

Not sure if any of that is relevant to the fact that non German cars with German Font plates look daft. German cars with with German Font plates look daft as well. All cars with with German Font plates after 01/01/1991 are illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Not sure if any of that is relevant to the fact that non German cars with German Font plates look daft. German cars with with German Font plates look daft as well. All cars with with German Font plates after 01/01/1991 are illegal.

In Germany ????
    This plate nonsense has gone too far, all posts about number plates should be banned...
    Nice Saabs by the way, even if were built by some Sweedo/Finn consortium and are TOTALLY illegal.....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Capri wrote: »
    634 WPI would fit but not sure about the 'new' year plates with 8 digits :confused: Maybe Do-More can get some genuine ones :confused:

You can order Swedish plates on eBay.

[edit] Not sure if that link is working, I'm on a tablet and it's hard to cut and paste, but if you search eBay.co.uk for Swedish number plates you will find them.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Never knew such a thing existed. Found a classic magazine article about it written in 2012 that says a total of 6419 were sold and of those just 159 are still registered but most are laid up with only 12 in use at the time the article was written.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Not sure if any of that is relevant to the fact that non German cars with German Font plates look daft. German cars with with German Font plates look daft as well.

Fact? Think you're confusing fact with your opinion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Get your statement right, when you make one. Eireplates has an adjusted german font, that's 100% within the legislation of 1991, so they're legal, if that font has ordered.

German font plate are as legal on cars before 1991, as after 1991. No difference.

All cars with german font are legal, once registered in Germany.

And the font should in reality also be legal here, as it's been designed to cope with tampering and machine recognition, so it should be the easiest to process for ANPR, Garda etc. That only works in their favour.

This discussion does not belong in this thread. Let people make their own choices.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Get your statement right, when you make one.

I did
    German font plate are as legal on cars before 1991, as after 1991. No difference.

Incorrect
    All cars with german font are legal, once registered in Germany.

What are you talking about? What have German registered cars got to do with illegal plates on cars registered in Ireland?
    And the font should in reality also be legal here, as it's been designed to cope with tampering and machine recognition, so it should be the easiest to process for ANPR, Garda etc. That only works in their favour.

Well it isnt legal here. Our regulations IN IRELAND are very specific and the German font does not conform to those regulations
    This discussion does not belong in this thread. Let people make their own choices.

/M

Your comments dont belong here because they are factually inaccurate. Like you say .... get your statement right

The format, dimensions and technical specifications of registration plates to be displayed on motor vehicles are laid down by law in the Vehicle Registration and Taxation Regulations 1992 (Statutory Instrument (S.I.) 318/1992 as amended, and Statutory Instrument (S.I.) 542/2012).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/si/0318.html

Have a gander at this

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/format-vehicle-registration-plates.html

tho' it has been updated since Dec 12, when it was originally issued the diagrams were waaay out , the font was about 50% of the size of correct font. Anyone could have carried a copy in the car and shown it to a Garda as being 'correct' and unless the Garda carried a tape he'd have to agree. Anyways, legal or not, the German style is certainly easier to see than the smaller Irish/French size ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Have a gander at this

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/format-vehicle-registration-plates.html

tho' it has been updated since Dec 12, when it was originally issued the diagrams were waaay out , the font was about 50% of the size of correct font. Anyone could have carried a copy in the car and shown it to a Garda as being 'correct' and unless the Garda carried a tape he'd have to agree. Anyways, legal or not, the German style is certainly easier to see than the smaller Irish/French size ;)

Yep. And the modified german font plates, that can be ordered from Eireplates are actually within the legislation. Both in size and with no gaps on zero's and nine's. The whole font was edited to bring it in line with the legislation from 1991.

So not every german font plate in the country is illegal.

@w124man : To spell this out for you, as you clearly don't get what I was at: the german font plates, with the font exactly as used in Germany, are illegal here no matter if they are on plates for cars before or after 1991. Full stop. Which is silly, because they make a Gardas life much easier. But that's a different story.

The legal issue has an exception though, which I oulined above.

The discussion is off topic for this thread and doesn't belong here.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

back on track for this thread !!!!

my 72 Manta A series .

P7162487.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Hold up a sec! Was that Manta parked up in the showroom of the Opel garage in Buttevant last year by any chance??

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    Hold up a sec! Was that Manta parked up in the showroom of the Opel garage in Buttevant last year by any chance??

nope ... that's a different one , that one is still down there . not many left about ..

mine is under going engine transplant at the moment ! ( GTE spec )

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

my yoke
    1465133_10151944157598168_2071820578_n.jpg

Ghia, and nice plates to match ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

So, my Wolseley 1300 Automatic. Just a few more photos of it following on from my other thread.
    12577024044_4e257b7869_z.jpg
    12576721664_518e852db1_z.jpg
    12576568335_a8826f9231_z.jpg

1461853_10152040778707279_1551187273_n_zps11b857c5.jpg

nice saab ..... and a great big garage to keep her in too :)

thanks , lets hope i can fit the other 6 900's in

Quite a few old 900's around these days - saw a Cabrio on Waterloo Rd, lying against a railing with loads of leaves under it - photo next time I'm passing

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Not sure if it classes as a classic quite yet but here's my baby

12681089573_857de66b53_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Nice Corolla.
    In Europe it would be called a 'Youngtimer' (as opposed to an 'Oldtimer')!:)

Advertisement