Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your classic car;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is quite something.

Lovely car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

^ is that the first generation Prelude? mid 80s?? It looks very tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

tc20 wrote: »
    ^ is that the first generation Prelude? mid 80s?? It looks very tidy
    It is the mid 1980's model, yes. Second generation Prelude :). It is in really good condition with excellent engine, gearbox, suspension and all running gear, genuine and (the bit I love about this car) unmodified, as thankfully the original owner kept the car for 29 years and covered less than 60k miles. I may put up more photos at some stage, however the small camera does not do the justice to the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I remember the 1st gen with the optional first attempts of 4 wheel steering. They had some features, that were way too far ahead their time.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Yeah, that was a great and reliable mechanical system. In the next generations they used electronic controls. Still good, but the mechanical system is known as being the best. There are a very few of them left on the road and I don't remember seeing one for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

When I was in New Zealand in 2004 there were a good few of those early Preludes still in every day use. NZ is a haven for older cars.

Nice to see an Irish-registered one is such great condition! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I picked this up yesterday

01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg

It's been 5 years since I sat in a working E30, very hair with it, despite its falls and niggles, I'll get it back to where it should be over time - asking dude the touring project :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

Got this car home on Monday night after over two months coming from Miami but I think it was worth the wait :)

1031%20b%20(1).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Lovely Trans Am, best of luck with it!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

Silvera wrote: »
    Lovely Trans Am, best of luck with it!:)

Thanks Silvera! I hope to have it at Terenure so if you're there come over and say hello :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Taken this evening

394129.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Well... that's not a classic...

Try it again in 10 years.

Love it unkel! Very few early TTs around thesedays as nice as yours.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Well... that's not a classic...

Try it again in 10 years.

Thankfully my insurer is not as narrow minded as you. They had no problem insuring it as a classic car.

That doesn't matter.

Car is from late 90s. Same as S2000, MX-5 etc. these cars are still too new to be labeled as classic.

What's next? E46?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

^ I have to disagree, the TT was an instant classic (design & otherwise) the day it first rolled off the production line. Even if it's produced by the shedload, it doesn't, for me anyway, have to be about how long ago it was made, or how limited the production run.
    There's not too many 'modern' cars you can call in instant classic, but the TT definitely is.
    (just my 2c)

@ unkel - what year is it btw?

That doesn't matter.

Car is from late 90s. Same as S2000, MX-5 etc. these cars are still too new to be labeled as classic.

What's next? E46?

*waits for unkel to come online*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

If it can't get classic tax , it ain't a classic. Insurers only want ur money.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

80sDiesel wrote: »
    If it can't get classic tax , it ain't a classic. .

By that logic a 1990 E30 M3 isn't a classic while a 70's Skoda or (eek) Trabant is!

People are too hung up on the tax thing here, mainly because it's so punitive to tax a lot of modern cars on the engine size system. The magic 30 year figure shouldn't be the be all and end all of classic motoring.

A 70s car is deemed a classic. The '90 bmw is a future classic.
    Better to let the rule define it rather than all the exceptions.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Think we need a new thread titled "Today i saw a car that qualifies for vintage tax and took a picture" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

JoeySully wrote: »
    Think we need a new thread titled "Today i saw a car that qualifies for vintage tax and took a picture" ;)

Or more simply.....

Think we need a new thread titled "Today i saw a future classic/ youngtimer and took a picture"

type85 wrote: »
    Or more simply.....

Think we need a new thread titled "Today i saw a future classic/ youngtimer and took a picture"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057064899&page=140

Heyi Saw a 99 Golf. Me insurance says it's a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

80sDiesel wrote: »
    A 70s car is deemed a classic. The '90 bmw is a future classic.
    Better to let the rule define it rather than all the exceptions.

Well that's one way to look at it. Another way would be to say that a 70's soviet shítbox doesn't magically become a classic simply by virtue of it being over 30 years old and a 26/27/28 year old much coveted model, insured on a classic policy, is equally deserving of the status, as a car a couple of years older.

To me it's about numbers sold, popularity, rarity, design... i.e. plenty of things other than a €56 tax disc.

tc20 wrote: »
    @ unkel - what year is it btw?

'99

Original Irish car - production date 06/05/1999

394222.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It's probably a ringer!

( just kidding )

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

That doesn't matter.

What's next? E46?

At what point do you think cars are old enough to be labelled as classics?

1990?

kuro2k wrote: »
    At what point do you think cars are old enough to be labelled as classics?

1990?

At many shows they won't let in newer than 1990 or 1995 cars... that doesn't automatically mean that you will try to get in with a 1994 K11 Micra. Boxy sure, that's a classic Micra.

Obviously.

• Advertisement

Your momma did. :)

I told her to not Park that TT around here no more.

Advertisement