Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 months in...what Biology have you learnt?

Options
  • 13-11-2005 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I'm interested to know what areas of biology might have been covered after three months of fifth year in most schools?

This is because I've been asked to give a talk to a school about my job (biotech research) and I'm not sure how much background into genetics I need to give so that the rest of the talk is clear.

I've looked at the syllabus on the Dept page and the first part is 'the study of life'. This is things like The Scientific Method, Life, Nutrition, Ecology & Ecosystems. So is that what you've been learning since September?

If so, I'll need to take a few minutes to explain the Cell and DNA->RNA->Protein; that won't be much trouble, but I just wanted to ask you guys that are doing the subject what you've covered so far (ironically, I didn't do it for my own Leaving).

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'd say your best bet would be to talk to the biology teachers in whatever school you're going to because lots of teachers don't do the course in the order it's laid out in the text book or syllabus or whatever. I know we started off and did all the plant stuff first, then went onto ecology and microbiology, leaving all human biology until 6th year. Other classes in the same school did it a different way so I'd recommend talking to the teacher(s) in question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

You're dead right, it's best to talk with her - I'm meeting her in the morning! I'm just doing a first draft of the presentation at the minute and I'd rather get as much of it done now as possible.

From looking at the course and what you said, it seems like you'd need a good understanding of the areas you covered in fifth year before moving on to the cell etc. Think I'll do up a few slides about that. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

the heart the digestive system all about plants animals insects etc, and im really far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

We've done Diffusion/Osmosis, Cell Reproduction, Photosynthesis/Respiration, Cell Diversity, and probably another chapter that I can't think of right now.

Advertisement