Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this make money for boards ?

Options
  • 13-11-2005 6:23pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://explorerdestroyer.com/

Get this tool for switching people from IE to Firefox.
    For each person you switch, Google gives you $1, Microsoft loses marketshare, and an angel gets its wings.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Interesting. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

And in a couple of years we'll run another campaign to free us all from the grip of Firefox and Google.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I like the idea, but can't see it happening.
    Three levels of seriousness
    Why do i think this is funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As long as we're receiving eurobucks for it, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Referral initiative only works for those in North America and I would think Google may possibly refuse to pay for sites that take the third option on the site, which blocks IE users from using your site.

This kind of crap reminds me of the false war between Netscape and Internet Explorer a few years back where people had buttons on their site advocating one browser and refusing entry for the other. Nowadays it should be about making your site usable by as many people as possible. Blocking people from your site is pretty lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

I like it!

Well try give people more reason to use Firefox so without forcing it upon them.Somethnig like a few cool plugins (like Hobbes PM alert) - i like that function but if there was more; a direct plugin to boards and you subbed list so you can check any updates in your desired forums while browsing on the net.Surely there could be a few more plugins thought up of:o

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Die Internet Explorer Die!!!!!!!!!!!

edit - yes it is a good idea.

wow, the edit looks different. must be the upgrade...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

daveirl wrote:

Complying to standards isn't too much too ask. Lack of standards in IE is what makes it crap, especially if you're a web designer. Also, You should also use <strong> in webpages where you want specific emphasis if you are making a website for text-to-speech users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

damien.m wrote:
    Blocking people from your site is pretty lame.
    Agreed... what about all the poor people in college who only have IE installed on the lab computers?

Whatever would I do in college? Learn? I think not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

This works for me in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hmmm, why does google care what browser people use? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Hmmm, why does google care what browser people use? :confused:
    I guess they prefer people to use the browser with the built-in Google toolbar.

AdSense rules preclude webmasters from encouraging users to click on the ad links. If the same rules apply to AdSense referrals, then the concept behind http://explorerdestroyer.com/ is void.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

This just sounds llike a gimmick, akin to netbux. Does google really give you $1? What is to stop people from downloading Firefox, uninstalling and downloading again?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Although its a gimmick or sorts I support this idea, however I do not agree with the section of that site thats covers how to block IE users from accessing websites....its counter productive and the Moz foundation has said it does not like this "Best browser" BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I don't think boards should have a policy on what browser people should use.

FF != standards compliance. On more than one case I've come across people taking IE differing from FF as proof of a failure to comply with standards in cases where either both behaviours were allowed by the standards in question, or even where FF is at fault. FF is a superior browser to IE in many ways, but the kneejerk assumptions is detrimental to the very attempt to have a good open-source standards-complaint browser that has given us FF.

This looks like it's in breech of Google's adsense rules tbh.

Most importantly splash screens suck. If someone wants to/has to use IE they shouldn't be punished for that. FF advocates should concentrate on making sure they've a better browser, not adding lame-ass browser-detection code which deliberately reduces the usability of a site to users of rival browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Zaph0d wrote:
    I guess they prefer people to use the browser with the built-in Google toolbar.

Google toolbar is not built into firefox. You have to download it seperatly. Think your referring to the search engine area which can be customised to any search engine (we even have a boards.ie one).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Giblet wrote:
    Also, You should also use <strong> in webpages where you want specific emphasis if you are making a website for text-to-speech users.
    If Dave hasn't just carved a notch into his desk, I'm a monkey's uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

It's unfair to try to force people to switch... especially with pop up ads and ****...

What's wrong with Microsoft having a market share anyway. It's not like they profit off IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

but internet explorer is compatibile with more sites than firefox...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It must be. Except that dahamsta is no longer banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Hobbes wrote:
    Google toolbar is not built into firefox. You have to download it seperatly.

Not with this offer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bounty wrote:
    but internet explorer is compatibile with more sites than firefox...
    IE is NOT more compatible

You'll actually find that more sites are tweaked to be compatible with IE.

Or people use Microsoft tools which may make the site incompatible with most other browsers.

And besides you can always use the Open in IE extension if you do bump into a site that FF can't view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Should boardsies encourage people to change? If they like.
    Should boards mandate that someone use a certain browser to view the site? Uh, no. Thats retarded.

I've seen people give out that they saw "This site works best with IEx.x" on sites, yet how is this any different? Hmm?

Exactly. Its not, its worse if anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

grasshopa wrote:
    It's unfair to try to force people to switch... especially with pop up ads and ****...

What's wrong with Microsoft having a market share anyway. It's not like they profit off IE
    Backup Exec / Norton AV / AutoCAD voloviewer and lots of other apps use IE. IE is also used as the frontend with Microsoft web based backend apps, and they don't work with other browsers. I really hated having to install IE on servers to get BENT working - IE patches account for most of the reboots of those servers since :mad:

Oddly enough Microsoft Exchange OWA - the webmail version works well in just about any browser.

I've no problem with M$ having a market share but 90% !
    and the only reason IE was free was to kill netscape

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I don't think we ever did get reported posts on System category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This is undoubtedly against Google's Adsensepolicies. It is also only available to those in North America; no-one else can display the Firefox ads.

Advertisement