Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology

Options
  • 13-11-2005 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm heading to UCD next year, not neccessarily (sorry can't spell that!) To do psychology but it's one of my options.

I just want to know what the course in this is like cuz the prospectus isn't very helpful on it. Is it juat an arts degree, or does it focus in on psychology or is it a full psychology thing?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

Loved it as 1/3 of my Arts 1st year.

But I was a bit older (like +5 years) so I think that helped put a familiar schema on everything we learnt. Basically I could relate to the material.

Most of my mates did it too - half HATED it, half loved it (or thought it was well worth doing).

Deffo worth a look, I'd do it again if I could (had to drop because of Arts setup)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Ya can some psych modules [as a minor or as a free elective] with the new horizons programme if you decide not to do it as a major
    ....I do Psych Dev&Bio as a free elective and i absolutely hate it ...but thats just me!

AFAIK Unless you get Psych through denominated entry DN054 [i think is the CAO code] you cannot take it as a major after first year but with can continue it as a minor providing you have sufficient credits.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

Quote from "Le Rack"
    RE: Psychology in UCD
    Is it just an arts degree? :eek:

Oh well that might open up a can of worms which has been opened a few times too many in the past few weeks on here! :(

Anyway I did psychology last year as 1 of my 3 subjects (back in the day before all this horizons b*ll*cks! It came out as actually my best subject in my exams and i really learned alot from it. It also came in handy for my other subjects! As with other degrees, one degree is never enough to get too deep into it, but i think it gets pretty specific in 2nd and 3rd year :D

Actually, as far as academic value you might be best to email a lecturer or get a friend in UCD to do it for you, they'll tell you whaat sorta weight the degree punches! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Thanks guys!

Sorry Economaniac! But you know what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

This might be of interest Le Rack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

1st Year:

Psychology Modules will take up about a third of your time, then you will take modules from any other subjects to make up your first year credits.

You have to pick it as a mode 1 subject on your CAO and meet the points, (490 last year) in order to continue with the subject as arts entry has been discontinued.

2nd and 3rd Year:

Exclusively psychology, everything from statistics (which are quite important to the subject I'm told) and pharmacology to Psychopathology and Theories of personality.

Its one of the very few BPS accredited degrees in Ireland and is a good platform to go on and do postgrad study and hopefully get a doctorate and lots of money!
    So there....

Reread your post, yes its an arts degree but it benefits from its BPS accreditation, its different to most other arts courses, and certainly aint an easy ride.

I got this info from one of the current pscychology postgrads, she said she would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the course. If you are interested I will send you her e-mail address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Thanks Robins, I've been on there loads a times! :)

Truckle that is fantastic, thank you, I know my post was fairly confused but that is what I was after trying to make sense of the prospectus, the bits on psychology aren't laid out very well.
    Can I just ask what is the whole BPS degree thing about?

Advertisement