Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25% Vat??

• 13-11-2005 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Was looking at buying Adaware Enterprise from lavasoft.de. They want to charge 25% extra for VAT. Can they do that? Thought VAT was paid at the point of entry for imports.

Quote from lavasoft website:
    Sales Tax/VAT Information

The seller of this product, Lavasoft AB, is located in Sweden and therefore charges the standard rate of sales tax/VAT applicable there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Point of entry into the EU I think, rather than the individual country - therefore buying from Sweden means you pay their rate if I recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Companies now have two options on how the charge VAT on goods/services that are in free circulation within the EU:

a) Charge the VAT rate applicable in the country that they are based e.g. 25% in Sweden

b) AFAIK if they do sufficient business in any other EU country they can register there and charge the VAT rate of that country.

I thought we had the highest VAT rate but obviously not!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Off topic but no, we don't have the highest VAT rate. We're in the top 5 though, I think.

I wasn't aware of being able to register for VAT in other countries like that. *makes a note for future "ooh look at what I know" sessions*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You'd need to research it ... afaik you have to do a considerable amount of business in that country to make it worthwhile (€35k plus). Plus you have the admin of doing another set of vat returns.

Advertisement