Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on movng a hot water cylinder

Options
  • 13-11-2005 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys and gals

I'm considering moving the cylinder from the hot press into the attic to create space for an on going project. I intend to create a full insulated surround to avoid heating disapating in the attic, however I'd value the experience of those who might now better.

Anyone see any issues, etc.

Many t(h)anks

Martin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd imagine you would be better off just getting a new tank instead of moving the old one and the new ones come insulated already anyway. But are you sure this will work? I'm no expert but doesn't your water tank need to be above the hot water cylinder in order to fill it?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

FX Meister

Excellent point - I knew I'd get some good points here. I will check that, though good point about the insulated tank.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Depending on the age of the cylinder there is a chance that opening some of the fittings will crease the tank leaving a weak point or even pin holes.

The major issue will be can you raise the main storage tank above the cylinder ?

The (general) storage tank contains 60 gallons of water, while the cylinder contains 30 gallons, the reason the hot water can leave the cylinder from the top is the pressure in the storage tank is double that of the cylinder.

The storage tank is usually kept some 2 metres + above the cylinder, as high as possible gets you a better system in more ways than just pressure.

You may be able to use a combined cylinder / storage tank but they are not cheap so you may wish to double check how badly you need the space.

I expect JamesM or Pipers should be able to guide you better.

Rooferpete

Many thanks for you comments, it does appear that the moment of the tank to the attic is not the best choice. I'll have to rethink my options. Any other contributions are welcome.

Cheers
    martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi,

Depending on the age of the cylinder there is a chance that opening some of the fittings will crease the tank leaving a weak point or even pin holes.

The major issue will be can you raise the main storage tank above the cylinder ?

The (general) storage tank contains 60 gallons of water, while the cylinder contains 30 gallons, the reason the hot water can leave the cylinder from the top is the pressure in the storage tank is double that of the cylinder.

The storage tank is usually kept some 2 metres + above the cylinder, as high as possible gets you a better system in more ways than just pressure.

You may be able to use a combined cylinder / storage tank but they are not cheap so you may wish to double check how badly you need the space.

I expect JamesM or Pipers should be able to guide you better.

Pete, First of all I agree with all you have said above.
    Secondly, I am not a qualified plumber, although I have spent over 30 years working in a closely related trade and do have a lot of experience.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys. Plan have been changed based on the advice received .

regards
    martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Consider replacing it and put in in the floor below. They can be made in all shapes and sizes to suit. Make sure it is able to accomodate the increases head.

thanks pipers

All the advice was really appreciated.

Cheers
    Martin

Advertisement