Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Super Unleaded - makes a differance or just a scam?

Options
  • 13-11-2005 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone put that petrol thatcost about 10c more expensive per litre in their car?And does it actually make a noticable differance to the performance,or is it just a scam to make a bit more cash.
    A bit like the differance between ordinary crisps and low fat crisps.If you want to lose weight just stop eating crisps you fat F**k!

Just been to scabby lately to bother trying this Super unleaded stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Just wondering does anyone put that petrol thatcost about 10c more expensive per litre in their car?And does it actually make a noticable differance to the performance,or is it just a scam to make a bit more cash.
    A bit like the differance between ordinary crisps and low fat crisps.If you want to lose weight just stop eating crisps you fat F**k!

Higher octane = bigger bang

Only recommended in performance engines, I think it's also more efficient since the bigger bang would burn more of the fuel sent into the cylinder though I could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

You can't get SUL in Ireland, but to the question.

It makes an enormous difference if you have a car made for it, which more and more cars are thanks to the higher efficiency of the engines.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IDMUD wrote:
    You can't get SUL in Ireland, but to the question.
    I had thought that also but on a recent thread here, there were a number of forecourts listed as selling it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

kbannon wrote:
    I had thought that also but on a recent thread here, there were a number of forecourts listed as selling it

I haven't seen it around the Dublin area, nor any news of it being reintroduced in Ireland. It's a shame really, why should Ireland be the only country not to get quality fuel, fuel that can cut down in emission thanks to packing more umpf? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Higher octane = bigger bang

Not quite. High octane fuels are less prone to detonation or pre-ignition. Detonation causes problems ranging from overheating to melting holes in the centre of pistons!

A higher octane does not give extra power, unless measures are taken with the engine to take advantge of this. One of these measures is higher compression, which you will find in higer-output engines. Also turbo's cars will like it a bit more at it keeps temps down a little when driven hard.

In a run-of-the mill engine, you may find it runs a bit cooler on a higher octane, but thats about it! Higher octane does not mean more power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

10c seems like a massive premium. I doubt however if the efficiency argument cuts it. Most cars that can take advantage of high octane aren't fiestas and clios (apart from ones with V6 engines instead of rear seats...). An exception is the VW FSI petrol, i think.

It doesnt really make much sense though, whatever way you look at it to pay 10c/l (or any c/l) extra for either economy or power, especially when VW/BMW/Toyota are making lovely Diesels at both the economy and power end of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The problem with Super Unleaded (98 RON) was the limited market, something like 0.7% in 2002 (with many of that % able to use unleaded (95) with an additive).

Although the cost of producing SuperU wasn't prohibitive, the sales were so low that forecourts couldn't justify turning over a pump to SuperU sales. It is available in the North & the UK still, but seems unlikely that it will return here tbh.

Many people get confused with Shell VPower, thinking its SuperU, but it isn't........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

and beware, some garages sell it but alls thats in the tanks is normal unleaded

Advertisement