Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debs; paying a year in advance

• 13-11-2005 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

hey,
    last week at my school we were approached by the debs committee for deposits for our debs.
    its next september for cryin out loud! i know they need to book it in advance, but a year??? and your expected to know who your going with!iv been with my boyfriend for nearly two months and adore him but he is in a different school. and so im stuck wondering should i get tickets for the two of us? i mean lets say we break up by next september (god forbid!!) and i go with someone from my school, thats e75 down the drain. we have till january to finalise our tickets but that leaves a whole summer not to mention the leaving cert to go through.who knows what could happen between january and september?

what do ye all think?
    *golden gal*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Yes, you need to book now to get anywhere decent and that requires a deposit. And if you've split up with your boyfriend by then, I'd be happy to go as long with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

We arranged ours last month. It has to be arranged early to get the hotel and dates you want. You could be stuck having your debs in late september or in some ****e hotel if you don't book early!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

true but the conformation of the tickets should be given more freedom timewise. surely you could book the hotel now but confirm the number of guests a good while later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep we had to pay our deposits already. Gives nearly a year to work on dates though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

because you need a deposit to book a hotel.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

we can schedule interviews i spose. "in ten words or less why would you be the perfect debs date?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ger85

if its a big school and they are trying to get the best(most expensive places) then i suppose u would have to pay deposit now; as for they need to know who yer bringing- that sounds like a load crap2me. its a year away- who knows who ur going with.
    tel them ur going with ur fella, then if u happen to not be going- and they trouble u at the door tell them he was sick and couldnt go and yer bringing mr.whoever instead. if they have a problem with that- they dont deserve ur busniess- go to the local and get twisted. gluck anway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

We're booking ours next week or so, we had the predebs during the midterm so we haven't been able to get around to the debs until now.

As with dates, just buy two tickets, just bring some randomer if you and your boyfriend break up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Yeah my 80 euro is due soon I think. Its weird the way everyones all excited and talking about an event that isnt happening for a year.

Still, I cant wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

CrimE wrote:
    Yeah my 80 euro is due soon I think. Its weird the way everyones all excited and talking about an event that isnt happening for a year.

Still, I cant wait :D
    Last debs I was at were fantastic, mouldy drunk just like everyone else. It was mad fun, tux was in a state the next day though..

Cant wait for my own so when they say "Class 2006! NO MORE SCHOOL!" and I will be cheering for a reason..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

we've already booked ours! predebs coming up soon too :D

What da f*ck is a predebs?! That some sorta rich kid party or what?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

A predebs is basically just a night out for your year, it's not black tie like the debs and there isn't a meal or anything. Just an opportunity for your whole year to go out to a rented club. Ours was in January of 6th year. I don't think it's just a private schools thing, though my boyfriend is from Kerry and he says that it's an unheard of thing down there

Fishie wrote:
    A predebs is basically just a night out for your year, it's not black tie like the debs and there isn't a meal or anything. Just an opportunity for your whole year to go out to a rented club. Ours was in January of 6th year. I don't think it's just a private schools thing, though my boyfriend is from Kerry and he says that it's an unheard of thing down there
    I think it's really only a dublin thing or something...when I was in french college and we were talking about our predebs and debs to people from the country and they hadn't a clue what we were talking about

We had our predebs during the midterm. I went to two in two nights, I couldn't drink at the second one!

It's just renting a function room/club and the whole year going with dates. We didn't even tell our school about it. Also, we had to keep the venue secret to keep prying parents away, and had to say it was a going away party so we could hire the place! They were absolutely brilliant nights

I think it is a Dublin only thing pretty much, my cousin from Clonmel hadn't a clue what I was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I think it's really only a dublin thing or something...when I was in french college and we were talking about our predebs and debs to people from the country and they hadn't a clue what we were talking about
    Thats because you were speaking french:D
    I'm from the country(see location) and we don't have a pre debs so its probably just a Dublin thing. I'm just wondering is there only one French college in the country?

caesar wrote:
    Thats because you were speaking french:D
    I'm from the country(see location) and we don't have a pre debs so its probably just a Dublin thing. I'm just wondering is there only one French college in the country?
    Well you see i was working there so i was allowed to speak english to the other assitants and animators when students weren't there and most of them were from the country too. nope there's french colleges all over the country - they change from year to year though! There's a Junior one in Limerick and several senior ones...in roscrea, kildare (clongowes), ennis...and some other ones i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

i g o to school in dublin but i never heard of a predebs???

i g o to school in dublin but i never heard of a predebs???
    seriously...what part to you live in do you mind me asking??

templeogue.i go to school in crumlin though.i was asking my friends and they havent either!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Debs are fscking brilliant. End of.

Awfully, awfully expensive.

But brilliant.

templeogue.i go to school in crumlin though.i was asking my friends and they havent either!!!
    i don't know...

and yes bob, debs are brilliant! I know some people who have started to look for dresses already...me, i've only just got my outfit for my predebs!! :D

I was thinking, could it be just a private school thing?? I'm probably wrong

I know some people who have started to look for dresses already...
    What?! I got mine about two weeks before the debs which I admit was really cutting it a bit fine, but it was a perfect dress for me. Oh and really weird, I was flicking through a copy of the magazine 'Image' last night in the house where I babysit and found myself looking at a whole page of photos from my own debs! Weird or what?! I wasn't photographed but a couple of my friends were, it was so weird

I was thinking, could it be just a private school thing?? I'm probably wrong
    Id say thats it, cause my schools faar from private!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

We've booked ours a while ago, goin to Leopardstown. Just payed the deposit a few weeks back. Where's everyone else going?

We're booking ours for the Pavilion in Leopardstown, is that where you are Daddio? It sounds great, they serve until 5am or something ridiculous

Nice for the ching chingers to be able to have two debss isn't it? Us poor commoners only get one :-(

The pre debs isn't a debs, it is just a night out in a rented club. Often they are to raise money for the actual debs, it's not blacktie or anything. The Pavilion in Leopardstown is ok, that's where we had our debs this year, avoid the breakfast rolls like the plague however because they are disgusting! It just ended up as a food fight because nobody in their right mind would have eaten them. Also, getting a taxi afterwards is near impossible - be prepared! Either organise a lift home or arrange for a taxi to collect you beforehand, or else say feck breakfast and go call one before everyone else starts - the first few got taxis but after a while all the companies were saying "Feck off, we're not going all the way out to Leopardstown!"

(we got a taxi - yay!)

deisedolly wrote:
    Nice for the ching chingers to be able to have two debss isn't it? Us poor commoners only get one :-(
    it isn't a debs!!

i know people that don't even have a debs in their school...sucks for them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

Im from the country (mayo) and we have a pre-debs thing. Its called the Grad-Night though. It used to be just a drinking disco but for the past two years it had turned into a four-course meal type thing!!! and then we have the debs on top of that.

Dress code Boys: Shirt and jeans
    Girls: Well we trust them to dress themselfs!!

I have never heard of any other school that does it our way having two meals. I wouldn't mind but were not even a private school! i no there is a school near us who have a 6th year christmas party!

Advertisement