Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook Express & free email accounts?

• 13-11-2005 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Is it possible to set up a free email acc like hotmail on outlook? I have it set-up but it's saying I have to pay money? :confused:
    Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription.

Please sign up at http://upgrade.msn.com

Configuration:
    Account: Hotmail
    Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
    User name:
    Protocol: HTTPMail
    Port: 0
    Secure(SSL): 0
    Code: 800cccf6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You can set up gmail for free. You used to be able to setup Hotmail, but now they restrict that to Plus accounts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use yahoo instead. - http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html = settings
    The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires authentication. To learn how to configure your email program, please choose from the following supported programs:

* Outlook 2002 (XP) & 2003
    * Outlook 98 & 2000
    * Microsoft Outlook Express
    * Microsoft Outlook Express for Macintosh
    * Entourage 2001 and higher
    * Eudora 5.1 and higher
    * IncrediMail build 618 and higher
    * Netscape Mail - All Versions

If your program and version are not listed above, you may have trouble connecting to the Yahoo! Mail SMTP servers. Other programs and versions are not supported.
    Works with thunderbird too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭techie_2006

Thanks guys, I just set it up with gmail :), here's the settings;
    1. Open Outlook or Outlook Express.
    2. Click the 'Tools' menu, and select 'Accounts...'
    3. Click 'Add,' and then click 'Mail...'
    4. Enter your name in the 'Display name:' field, and click 'Next.'
    5. Enter your full Google Mail email address (username@googlemail.com) in the 'Email address:' field, and click 'Next.'
    6. Enter 'pop.googlemail.com' in the 'Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:' field. Enter 'smtp.googlemail.com' in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:' field.
    7. Click 'Next.'
    8. Enter your Google Mail username (including '@googlemail.com') in the 'Account name:' field. Enter your Google Mail password in the 'Password:' field, and click 'Next.'
    9. Click 'Finish.'
    10. Highlight 'pop.googlemail.com' under 'Account,' and click 'Properties.'
    11. Click the 'Advanced' tab.
    12. Tick the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL)' under 'Outgoing Mail (SMTP).'
    13. Enter '465' in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP):' field.
    14. Tick the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL)' under 'Incoming mail (POP3).' The port will change to 995.
      *The order of 'Outgoing' and 'Incoming' mail server fields varies by version. Make sure you enter the correct information in each field.
    15. Click the 'Servers' tab, and tick the box next to 'My server requires authentication.'
    16. Click 'OK.'
    Then;

To enable POP in your Google Mail account, please follow these steps:
    1. Log in to your Google Mail account.
    2. Click 'Settings' at the top of any Google Mail page.
    3. Click 'Forwarding and POP' in the orange 'Mail Settings' box.
    4. Select 'Enable POP for all mail' or 'Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.'
    5. Choose the action you'd like your Google Mail messages to take after they are accessed with POP.
    6. Configure your POP client* and click 'Save Changes.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi

I don't suppose anyone happens to know a way around this problem, for existing Hotmail users (besides paying for it !)

Obviously, I've been using Hotmail for a while now, all friends etc have it and don't really want to change e-mail address etc.

Thanks

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

garrettod wrote:
    Hi

I don't suppose anyone happens to know a way around this problem, for existing Hotmail users (besides paying for it !)

Obviously, I've been using Hotmail for a while now, all friends etc have it and don't really want to change e-mail address etc.

Thanks

Afaik you have to pay, ive had my hotmail account for years so i can pull it down in outlook anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

garrettod wrote:
    Hi

Thanks

No way around it, pay or don't pay. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Is it only recent hotmail accounts that can't be pop3'd?

Mine did that along while ago about having to pay but it's all been rozy for since in Outlook2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They stopped the Hotmail free outlook access sometime in 2004 afaik.

Hi

Thanks for the responses everyone, I was kinda hoping that one of you might have had a "cheat" - not that I'm a cheapskate, I just don't like giving Mr. Microsoft even more dosh thats all.

If I may ask a second question - assuming I pay & get set up, my partner also has a Hotmail Account so thats 2 accounts we would need to pay for. If we did this, can we run them both off one copy of Outlook, on the one PC (I guess there is some option to flick between Account "A" and Account "B" but not having used this, I'm hoping one of you can confirm / advise me)

Thanks again

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you can set up mulitple profiles on your pc,
    or you can do it indovidually in outlook.

• Advertisement

Great, thanks

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

thunderbird has a webmail plugin that work alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

garrettod wrote:
    Hi

Thanks

I have a hotmail plus account which i pay for but i used the same settings for my girlfriend who has just signed up with a free account and hers works great.

Incoming Mail - mail.pop3hot.com
    Sending mail - mail.pop3hot.com

Seems to work just fine but please let me know how you get on.:cool:

Advertisement