Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil boiler air intake

Options
  • 13-11-2005 11:12pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

where on a conventional oil boiler is the air intake ?

My boiler has the burner on the front and the flue on the top back of the boiler.

Serviced it last week but still a bit noisey so want to check out the air intake.

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

On the burner which is on the front of the boiler, It has the control box and a fan.

The air is sucked in through the fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

karltimber wrote:
    where on a conventional oil boiler is the air intake ?

My boiler has the burner on the front and the flue on the top back of the boiler.

Serviced it last week but still a bit noisey so want to check out the air intake.

thx
    Without meaning to be smart or nasty, I have to say, if you are asking this question, you did not service the boiler.
    You may have opened it and cleaned out some dirt.
    You cannot do anything with the air intake that will quiten the boiler. In fact if you change the air adjustment, you could do a lot of damage. The boiler could even soot up and catch fire.
    What make of boiler and burner do you have ?
    Jim.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

JamesM wrote:
    Without meaning to be smart or nasty, I have to say, if you are asking this question, you did not service the boiler.
    You may have opened it and cleaned out some dirt.
    What make of boiler and burner do you have ?
    Jim.

Point taken.
    I cleaned out the heating chamber and replaced the oil spray nozzle in the burner

Its a Sime boiler and a Riello 40 burner.

karltimber wrote:
    Point taken.
    I cleaned out the heating chamber and replaced the oil spray nozzle in the burner

Its a Sime boiler and a Riello 40 burner.

Does the flue actually come out of the top of the boiler as you said in your first post, or out the back up high ?
    What size nozzle did you use ? What oil, Kero or Gas oil ?
    There are 2 air intake places you should make sure are clear of fluff etc. The burner is in a red box. At the back of the burner facing the boiler there are air vents - these should be kept clear of fluff. If you remove the cover - 3 screws, you will see the air intake on the right hand side. Make sure that it is clear - do not adjust it. If you watch as the burner starts you will see the intake cover swivel open.
    Jim

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

HI,

I found the manual for the Reillo 40 burner

Took the cover off and saw the air intake - looked clean -no fluff
    read the manual on how this operates - so tried this.

marked where the fixed air damper was and then opened the retaining screw.
    Moved this a small bit (more air into burner) -put back on cover,started and the noise has gone.

I undid everything - put the fixed air damper back to its original position and re-assembled everything. restarted the boiler and the noise is back.

Is it ok to move this slightly (must have been 5-8mm max).
    I read that this is factory set - but is it ok for me to change this.

Thx

• Advertisement

karltimber wrote:
    HI,

I found the manual for the Reillo 40 burner

Took the cover off and saw the air intake - looked clean -no fluff
    read the manual on how this operates - so tried this.

marked where the fixed air damper was and then opened the retaining screw.
    Moved this a small bit (more air into burner) -put back on cover,started and the noise has gone.

I undid everything - put the fixed air damper back to its original position and re-assembled everything. restarted the boiler and the noise is back.

Is it ok to move this slightly (must have been 5-8mm max).
    I read that this is factory set - but is it ok for me to change this.

Thx

It is safe enough to open the air intake a bit. Its setting really depends on other factors, oil pressure etc. If you look carefully you will see that there are numbers on the damper plate. If you have a .50 or .60 nozzle the mark should be at about 2.5 to 3 with gas oil, and more with kero. With kero , you will probably have a .60 or .75 nozzle. depending on oil pressure, it could easily be set at 4 or 5
    If you have gas oil, the main problem if the air damper is open too much, is that the burner will cut out on cold mornings. If it is closed too much, it will soot up:eek:
    There are different Sime models. Do you have the one with three oval cleaning doors under the top front cover of the boiler ? If so, you sometimes get a droning sound if the air damper is closed too much, especially with gas oil. However, if you open it too much you will get the cutting out problem I have already mentioned. There is a little flap in the bottom front plate of the boiler above the burner. Open it, don't put your eye too close to it, but look in. You should see a clean flame, without smokey tips.
    Also, if there is heat coming from that hole, there may be a blockage in the boiler or the flue. You may not have cleaned the area behind those cleaning doors, or the area where the flue exits the boiler, or a bend in the flue, or............:) There are lots of things to consider when setting up a burner.
    See how you get on.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonny5

you would wanna get a plumber, too many cowboys out their

Jonny5 wrote:
    you would wanna get a plumber, too many cowboys out their
    Most plumbers know very little about servicing boilers. You need a qualified Service Engineer. Anyway that was so long ago - he has probably moved house by now ;)
    Jim

Advertisement