Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hassle From IBB

• 14-11-2005 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

I left IBB 3 months into a contract about 6/7 weeks ago,i sent them a letter outlining just how appalling the service was and i no longer wish to continue with it.

They are continue to e-mail me invoice's,i phoned to tell them id cancelled the service and they could send someone if they liked to collect the stuff they installed,etc,i got a call back (2 calls actually)some foreign women saying her manager said i would have to pay the remainder of my contract plus an installation fee,i told her in no uncertain terms where to go that i would not be paying them a penny,she rang again a week later with a similar request,i told her not to call me again unless they are sending someone around to collect the stuff,has anyone else had hassles with IBB regarding something like this?

There's no way im paying them a penny for an appalling service and they have some brass neck now advertising on TV as well as the radio when their breeze service is only slightly faster than dial up,pathetic.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jonny68 wrote:
    I left IBB 3 months into a contract about 6/7 weeks ago,i sent them a letter outlining just how appalling the service was and i no longer wish to continue with it.

They are continue to e-mail me invoice's,i phoned to tell them id cancelled the service and they could send someone if they liked to collect the stuff they installed,etc,i got a call back (2 calls actually)some foreign women saying her manager said i would have to pay the remainder of my contract plus an installation fee,i told her in no uncertain terms where to go that i would not be paying them a penny,she rang again a week later with a similar request,i told her not to call me again unless they are sending someone around to collect the stuff,has anyone else had hassles with IBB regarding something like this?

There's no way im paying them a penny for an appalling service and they have some brass neck now advertising on TV as well as the radio when their breeze service is only slightly faster than dial up,pathetic.

In such circumstances it is always good to keep a paper record of all communications. Memo all telephone calls and ask the staff member concerened for their names. It might be interesting to ask the staff members why they are following up your defections so enthusiastically when they never addressed your complaints about the service.

If I was you I would report the matter to Comreg and the Director of Consumer Affairs.

I would further write to IBB confirming that you have cancelled the contract. Point to the numerous complaints on boards as proof that IBB are incapable of providing the service advertised and inform IBB that you are reporting the matter to Comreg and the DCA. Also state that you will regard any further contact as harassment.

Have any IBB customers emailed any of the technology journalists in any of the national newspapers?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i am going to record all further calls i have with this company (and tell them that they are being recorded, after all i'm apparenly being recorded when i ring them). you should do the same, many modern mobile phones have this facility.

secondly, photocopy and document all correspondence received.

thirdly, photocopy and document all correspondence sent. send it by registered post so that they have to acknowledge receipt.

you should keep written dated copies of ping reports. in windows the best thing would be to open the clock program and your MS DOS window and take a screen grab. same if you're using KDE/Linux or Mac OS. that way the time and date can be seen.

the small claims court may be able to help you out. but it makes everything more on your side if you're correctly documented.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Red Alert wrote:
    i am going to record all further calls i have with this company (and tell them that they are being recorded, after all i'm apparenly being recorded when i ring them). you should do the same, many modern mobile phones have this facility.

secondly, photocopy and document all correspondence received.

thirdly, photocopy and document all correspondence sent. send it by registered post so that they have to acknowledge receipt.

you should keep written dated copies of ping reports. in windows the best thing would be to open the clock program and your MS DOS window and take a screen grab. same if you're using KDE/Linux or Mac OS. that way the time and date can be seen.

the small claims court may be able to help you out. but it makes everything more on your side if you're correctly documented.

I think that anyone informing IBB that they are cancelling the service should stop using it immediatelly otherwise you are allowing them to claim that you contined to use the service and do not want to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

jonny68 wrote:

Interesting - I am in the same boat - cancelled 6 weeks ago and not a single call/e-mail acknowledging this. They have stopped sending me bills - even though the say I owe them €300+

I have been sending them 2 weekly e-mails looking for confirmation of de-install date

Did ring support 2 days after cancelling to be told - 'Ah sure you have cancelled ...'

Going to call them today for an update.

Haven't used the service since - maybe twice to record the crappy pings/speed but no browsing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Interesting - I am in the same boat - cancelled 6 weeks ago and not a single call/e-mail acknowledging this. They have stopped sending me bills - even though the say I owe them €300+

I have been sending them 2 weekly e-mails looking for confirmation of de-install date

Did ring support 2 days after cancelling to be told - 'Ah sure you have cancelled ...'

Going to call them today for an update.

Haven't used the service since - maybe twice to record the crappy pings/speed but no browsing etc.

my antenna has been on my house almost 6 months and nobody has bothered to come and collect it ! I arranged and there was a no show ! cant be arsed chassing them !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

This company really seem to be the biggest shower of cowboys operating in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i pulled there cable back out of the house a couple of months ago and cancelled ( only had it in a couple of months ).

got a phone call about two weeks ago going like this " you owe us money are and still in contract " , i stated that they did not keep to there end of the contract so there was no longer a contract and repeated my request for there equipment to be removed from my home.

with ibb threads still popping up i'm glad i just pulled the plug on it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Cheers for the feedback folks,they can come collect the aerial,etc anytime they want other than that they can leave it there it doesn't bother me in the slightest i aint gonna contact them anymore as far as im concerned im finished with them for good,im happy enough so far with BT Ireland anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

dont worry !! just dont pay them!! and go get a real connection!

2.5 years ago i had IBB and their service was crap. i was 4 mths into my contract when i rang them to inform them that i was cancelling their service and had cancelled my DD to them and they could call to arrange taking their rubbish off my chimney pot :D. They girl told me i could not cancel except by letter, i told the girl that IBB NEVER supplied me with the service i payed for and continually lied to me and I have proof that they never supplied what i payed for and if they want to bring me to court I will be more than ready and their was no way I would deal with them on their terms. I didnt pay another cent and 2.5 years later I heard nothing more from them and i still have their ariel on my chimney :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

They aren't an ICB member (i.e. not paying them won't affect your credit rating) so just ignore them.

-snip-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

dublindude
    Your post is possibly one of the most insulting and ignorant things I have ever read on boards and not good humour.

Cionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Cionn wrote:
    dublindude
    Your post is possibly one of the most insulting and ignorant things I have ever read on boards and not good humour.

Cionn
    Do you have an IBB connection Cionn? Cos, even though I don't find that comment particularly funny and correct, I do understand him somehow...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Cionn wrote:

yes agreed. that's quite an insulting comment to make about people with intellectual disability. i thought in this day and age we were beyond that :rolleyes:

in fact let's say that IBB's equipment and staff are both sub-par, and it's clear that management are unaware/don't-care what their lower goons are doing.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did you sign a contract? What does it say about terminating it? Is there a minimum contract, and if so did it state that there would be a fee for early termination? If no, you'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

MarkR wrote:
    Did you sign a contract? What does it say about terminating it? Is there a minimum contract, and if so did it state that there would be a fee for early termination? If no, you'll be ok.

There is a 12month contract period, but IBB have broken that contract by not providing the service that has been paid for. Therefore you are legally entitled to terminate that contract without notic for that reason. My advice is send them a letter stating that they are in breech of contract and you are terminating it immediately demanding they come to collect their equipment within 30 days or it will be disposed of. Unlug their modem and write to your bank requesting they stop the direct debit. Do this through written letter and also through email cc'ing nodlaigh@asai.ie (advertising standards) and jacqueline.moore@comreg.ie (communications regulator). That should get them off your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Do you have an IBB connection Cionn? Cos, even though I don't find that comment particularly funny and correct, I do understand him somehow...

Steffano2002

Yes I do have an IBB connection, however that has nothing to do with being appalled at the comment. Any joke at the expense of people with a disability should not be part of a public forum especially one relating to broadband. Understanding the comment does not mean that it is acceptable.
    Personally I think the comment reeks of immaturity by someone trying to sound humorous

Cionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Cionn wrote:
    Steffano2002

Yes I do have an IBB connection, however that has nothing to do with being appalled at the comment. Any joke at the expense of people with a disability should not be part of a public forum especially one relating to broadband. Understanding the comment does not mean that it is acceptable.
    Personally I think the comment reeks of immaturity by someone trying to sound humorous

Cionn

It wasnt a humorous comment, however your comment has brought the thread off topic. If you dont like a comment report it to a mod, dont whinge about it on the thread.

Advertisement