Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Barrel Length/Tikka T3 Tactical

Options
  • 14-11-2005 12:39am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im looking at a Tikka T3 Tactical in .223. It comes in 2 versions for .223 (and for .308). One is a 20" barrel and the other is a 24" barrel.

Now may (basic) understanding of balistics tells me that the longer barrel will be a heavier rifle with a higher muzzle velocity. Longer barrel should alos be more accurate and stablise heavier bullets.

The down side is thet length means that the barrel is less ridged couther acting the positive aspects mentioned above.

Both are the same price (AFAIK).

Im far from an expert on the subject so I would be interested to hear what others have to say. Im also interested to hear about anyone who has a T3 Tactical or has used one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Markhor

REW

I would advise going for the .308, its a much bettter calibre than any .223.
    You could use it for long range target shooting and perhaps deer stalking also, in addition if you ever decide to go hunting abroad it a much more suitable calibre for a great variety of game.
    As regards the barrel length for accuracy etc. barrel length within reason should not affect accuracy, it comes down to weather the bullet/cartridge combination is suitable for a given rifle or not. Also its the rifling twist that determines whether a heavy bullet will be stabilised or not, barrel length is not a factor. the heavier the bullet the faster twist required. But if I were to choose I would go for the 24 inch barrel for the greater velocity it should produce.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

.223 is a good round for me to start out on full bore. Fairly flat trajectory, cheap enough ammo, loads of differant types and brands available. Relitivly easy to licence and can be shot easily to 300m but should do 500m. In a year or so I may go .308 alright. Ill get experience in a lod of differant calibers in the mean time as well :)

I thought it was the rate of twist combined with the length of the barrel I see where i was going wrong. So you dont think I should puch much weight behind the idea of the less ridged barrel?

There is actully a good chance I wont get a choice given the stock levels of the tactical are crap and its take what you can get! Im still very intersted to know why Tikka sell both barel lengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Other guns to consider are the Sauer 202 and The AHR 970 (sig) ,

Both are "system guns" in that different barrel combinations can be swapped to allow shooting with different calibres .

At the moment each barrel would have to be licenced , but that may change.

I've handled both types and they are very impressive.

If you are interested PM me as I know a gunshop that stocks both.

Sounds attractive but I wonder if rifles that are jack of all trades are master of none?

Anyway im waiting on the serial for the Tikka atm. I had orignally thought the .223 was a 24" and the 308 was 20" (it was the way it was laid out on Tikkas PDF).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

Rew wrote:
    Im looking at a Tikka T3 Tactical in .223. It comes in 2 versions for .223 (and for .308). One is a 20" barrel and the other is a 24" barrel.

Now may (basic) understanding of balistics tells me that the longer barrel will be a heavier rifle with a higher muzzle velocity. Longer barrel should alos be more accurate and stablise heavier bullets.

The down side is thet length means that the barrel is less ridged couther acting the positive aspects mentioned above.

Both are the same price (AFAIK).

Im far from an expert on the subject so I would be interested to hear what others have to say. Im also interested to hear about anyone who has a T3 Tactical or has used one.

This link should help you out and also any other interested people. I tried copy and paste but the table wouldn't transfer correctly.

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/October05.htm

• Advertisement

Sounds attractive but I wonder if rifles that are jack of all trades are master of none?

With those firearms , you may take it that they are masters of all !
    Just working the bolt is enough to have you phoning the bank manager..:D

jaycee wrote:
    With those firearms , you may take it that they are masters of all !
    Just working the bolt is enough to have you phoning the bank manager..:D
    Id say so!
    MP wrote:
    This link should help you out and also any other interested people. I tried copy and paste but the table wouldn't transfer correctly.

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/October05.htm

Interesting there is an 80 f.p.s. gain/loss for the 4"s so Tikka offer both one being sligtly lighter and more manageable.

Looks like its going to make little or no differance to me if anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sniper220

Hello all
    You were talking about the tikka T3 tbh i do not know that much about this make of weapon i prefer to stick to the old reliables for example the Remington Model 700 vssf is a well tried and tested Rifle over the years. Its a fine fifle in .223 barrell lenth 22" and in .308 and .220swift it is a heavy weapon with a 26" barrell with a 1 1/4 Twist. also has a floating and fluted barrell. have yau looked at the Blaser Tactical :D lovely weapon very expensive dough I was looking at one in Waterford about two weeks ago she was .308 and €2500:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

That Tikka T3 Tactical looks great! That muzzle brake on a .308 would hurt hunting!! :eek:
    TikkaT3_Tactical.jpg

I was fondling a STEYR/MANNLICHER Scout recently and I was really impressed its so light and compact I was tempted to take it home on the spot (yes it is nice to have that option :D)
    scout3.jpg
    http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/fcb/index.php?id=109&L=1

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn37-e.htm

I think its available in .223 Rem. .243 Win. 7 mm-08 Rem. .308 Win. .376 Steyr

Have Fun

I heard a few prices on the Styer and it was that bit too much for my budget. By all accounts the Tikka is a great rifle. The only complaint iv seen made about it is a some people dont like the synthetic stock, they think it feels cheap and plastic. I didn't go for a muzzle break or iron sights so it will be very like this one:

tikkat3tactical4.jpgtikkat3tactical3.jpgtikkat3tactical1.jpg
    2003_0119marietikka0022.jpg

• Advertisement

I had a look at the T3 Tactical (24") in the flesh yesterday. I happend to hear about a dealer who has one in stock for someone else so dropped in for a look.

Beautiful rilfe, very smooth action. I was afraid the stock would feel cheap but its a good solid synthetic stock. Its a heavy rifle (3.6-3.7 kg) but well balanced. Im really looking forward to getting it on the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Just in time for chrismas!! Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Weird I was going to buy one of those rifles about 2 years ago, I was put off by the huge waiting time so I went for a sako .270 and I'm kinda sorry now cos the sako kicks like a mule in heat. very difficult to shoot in comfort

Speaking of sweet shooting rifles...

Anyone got any opinions on this...

http://www.savagearms.com/10fpmcmillan.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Vegeta wrote:
    ......... I'm kinda sorry now cos the sako kicks like a mule in heat. very difficult to shoot in comfort
    You should probably get rid of the mule instead.:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

macnas wrote:
    You should probably get rid of the mule instead.:D :D:D
    Vegeta could always do what General Custer did- 'Out hunting one day in the heart of Indian country, he galloped after a buffalo, aimed his revolver -- and somehow shot his own horse through the head. On foot, bruised and totally lost, he had to be rescued by his own men.'
    From http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/program/episodes/six/yellowhair.htm

Could be tricky with a scoped target rifle, and the mule mightn't co-operate too well, but I'd say it could be done. :D

Vegeta
    Sorry to hear you having trouble shooting the .270, perhaps you are taking up the wrong shooting position, or you are holding the rifle incorrectly, stock fit could also be wrong. Try experimenting with your shooting position, do a bit of shooting off-hand and see if you notice any recoil.
    I have been using a .270 for the last eight years that has no rubber recoil pad but rather a steel butt plate and can honestly say I do not notice any recoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Markhor wrote:
    I have been using a .270 for the last eight years that has no rubber recoil pad but rather a steel butt plate and can honestly say I do not notice any recoil.
    :eek:
    Do you still have any nerves left alive in that shoulder? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

jaycee wrote:
    Speaking of sweet shooting rifles...

Anyone got any opinions on this...

http://www.savagearms.com/10fpmcmillan.htm

Pretty good rifle,but I just find the weakness with Remington and Savage is that they should have detahable box mags,for quick ammo changes in their intended roles as police sniper rifles.If it doesnt bother you.Good value for the gun.

Pretty good rifle,but I just find the weakness with Remington and Savage is that they should have detahable box mags,

I have a Ruger, it's the same , just a floorplate.

44H.gif

Actually it used to look like that until I fitted a Hogue stock ,
    Now it looks like this..
    77001R.jpg

Not as pretty , but more practical and more accurate with the pillar bedding and the free floated barrel .

I'd really prefer a seperate box magazine but since any of my targets aren't moving (Unless there's a landslide and the whole berm moves. :D ) it probably won't matter much.

The other school of thought is that , If you can hit it with the first shot the next one isn't needed. If I was really brave I'd go for a ruger NO1 .(Single shot)

24H.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Just wondering if the Parker Hale M85 can still be got any where? Done alot of looking on the net and cane up with noting. Just think it would be a cheap(ish) rifle to buy instead of going for the L96A1

ph85a.jpg

Try Guy Savage of Sabre Defence for the Parker Hale.He bought up the patents etc,and was supposedly releasing a new improved model this year.
    www.sabredefence.com
    INMO it really is a glorified Mauser.Looong bolt travel.Fine for target ,not to good for hunting or military /police work.

Sparks
    Thanks for your response but I can assure you that I could shoot the .270 all day without any ill effects, I use a 6.5mm too and can't see any difference between the two, stock fit and mental conditioning has a lot to do with perceived recoil. Out of interest what are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Markhor wrote:
    Sparks
    Thanks for your response but I can assure you that I could shoot the .270 all day without any ill effects, I use a 6.5mm too and can't see any difference between the two, stock fit and mental conditioning has a lot to do with perceived recoil. Out of interest what are you using ?
    Just smallbore Markhor, an Anschutz 2013/690 in an aluminium stock. I've shot .270 before though - all of once. And got an eyeful of 'scope during the recoil for my troubles :D

And it's hard to believe you'd not notice - I mean, whatever about the immediate effects of the kick, there's the cumulative effect as well. I shoot smallbore standing for two or three hours, and I'm going to feel pretty beat up afterwards - with fullbores, I can't imagine it being any easier!

"Just smallbore Markhor, an Anschutz 2013/690 in an aluminium stock. I've shot .270 before though - all of once. And got an eyeful of 'scope during the recoil for my troubles "

Has happened to me twice now think I would have learned by now!!!!!

Sounds like you are all using rifles with poorly fitting stocks to your statues.
    Nothing worse for getting hit hard in the shoulder,or rifle scope shiners.To shot rifles well you really need a stock made to your size.

One of the main reasons I got a scope shiner was that I had the magnification on the scope way too high like 20, so I had to bring my eye closer to the scope and blam got hit right in the eye!!!

Hasn't happened since i figured out it was the scopes magnification, first time i just thought it was severe recoil the second time i realised my brother had just shot the rifle with scope at 8 times mag and I turned it way up and got punished for it

Sparks
    Your reply noted, but having shot the .270 once, its possible the rifle you were using had too long a stock and therefore you had to crane you head nearer the scope, or else the eye relief on the scope was not suitable for you.
    If you had a correctly fitted stock with the right amount of pull and the scope mounted correctly its unlikely you would have been hit provided the rifle was held correctly. I have an anschutz 1710 as well, its very nice.

Advertisement