Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VHS to DVD (again sorry!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

If you are going to post make it useful!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

dory wrote:

I have this on the side of my computer. I don't know what it is. Anyone know?
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/clairecanning/P1010015.jpg

[/url]

That allows you to hook your laptop up to a tv to play whats on screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What you have there won't do it for you. The First pic is an output!

John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

So what do I need??
    I went to a computer store today and they showed me some DVD Express thing but its only for PCs, I have a mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

just buy a standalone dvd recorder, connect it up to your vcr, dub your tapes that way. It's not worth the hassle to try and do it through your mac (or pc or whatever people use)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 idiotproof

The way I would go about doing this, and I reckon the easiest if you don't have a way of capturing straight to your comp, is to record to DV first then capture, cut and burn to dvd as normal.

Don't know how much you know so sorry if this is patronising.

First find a camera with analogue inputs (phono inputs, red, white and yellow) your friendly media/film/television student should have access to one of these such as a Sony PD-170, Sony PD-150, Panasonic dvx100ae, unsure about Canon XL1 and doubtful about the XM1 think they might just have outputs, Almost sure VX-1000's only have outputs. Your asking for a three-chip camera then checking if it has phono inputs.

I can't see but I'm guessing that the blue cable with the grey connector is a SCART connection and is running to your TV (the hole it goes into should be rectangular with a trangle bit on one of the short sides).

The last two bits you need are a 3 phono to 3 phono cable (red white and yellow) or just 3 random phono cables and a SCART box, this is a small adaptor about the size of the grey box on the blue cable in the picture. This will go into the back of the VCR and has phono connections on it into which you stick your phono cables.

Make sure if there is a switch on the SCART box it's set to OUT (i.e. OUT of the VCR). Also make sure if your VCR has two SCART connections that your coming out of the OUT connection. Stick the end of these cables into the camera phono ports.

Lash the camera on and to "VTR"/"VCR" mode, not camera. when you play on the VCR you should get a signal playing through the camera. Stick in a DV tape. Make sure all you tapes are at the start. On Sony's the VCR controls are on the top, you need to hold both the "rec" button and the blank button beside it (there's a line from one to the other). You should get "REC" or a red circle on the screen" Then play the VHS in the VCR.

Getting the camera to record can be tricky as a lot of them do it different ways, some need the remote so check with the friendly media/film/tv student you stole the camera off how it works.

When you have your DV tapes full of lovely memories etc. capture to your Mac through your firewire cable, cut it and burn it to DVD.

Also, you might be able to get a camera that has analogue inputs but doesn't have phono ports. There is a connection that looks like a headphone jack but can actually carry three signals look aroun the firewire connection or headphone port for this, it will be yellow or/and be marked Audio/Visual or just AV, then instead of the three phono to three phono cable you get a three phono to AV (mightn't be called this) cable and continue as before.

Don't know how much that helped but it sounds right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TBH, I didn't have much time to post earlier, as I was up against it in work! Shock!

But the above method is probably what I'd do.... minimum expense as you could probably borrow the camera from some one. And most pc's/mac's will have firewire connections.

John

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Well doing it using a laptop is not the best way but if you must, you'll need something like this:

ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0

I'm not sure where you'd buy that particular one in Ireland - try ebay I suppose would be your best bet:
    See one here on ebay

Ends up at around 150 dollars after shipping, but don't forget you may have to pay Import Duty on that.

Or if you have cash to burn the Canopus ADVC 100 which will capture analogue video in DV. Excellent quality, but you'll pay about €250 for it...but i'd say it's the better option of the two. I assume your snazzy laptop(!) has a Firewire port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hoffy

Dory, safe yourself all this hassle. There is a website called www.video2dvd.ie they convert all major formats of video to dvd. You will have your DVD in a week and it only costs eur20 for the first transfer then eur15 thereafter. Some of these websites charge you per hour of film footage but not these guys. I have given them several videos to transfer and the servcie was great.

Advertisement