Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Granada mk1 Coupe;

Options
  • 14-11-2005 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a mk1 Ford Granada for sale in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

junkyard wrote:
    Not in Ireland, but I know of a nice, very original never restored Mk1 Granada GXL 2.3 V6 Automatic in France. Brown with black vinyl roof and cloth interior. The car has 83,000km on the clock and is in totally original condition! Not a concours car at the moment, but because it such an original and solid car, it would not need a lot to get it up to a show winning condition. Contact me for pics and price...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kyote00

There were two (not coupe's) on sale over last summer. I saw one at
    Celbridge show and another at terenure.

both looked fine from a distance !

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

junkyard wrote:

on the autotrader about 3 weeks ago, there was one for sale in the north ,
    try e bay i think i saw one on that at the week end:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Thanks everone, there must be a few in Ireland. I'd really like to get an original Irish car if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

One was going at the city west show, Uk plates, very clean, sold I believe to someone in Chapelizard, 4000 euro was the asking price, seemed a good deal to me.

• Advertisement

Interesting and not a bad price if it was a good car. I remember hearing about one in Kildare, I believe it was the one used in the series Ballykissangel but I never followed it up. There was also a swiss reg. LHD Granada at the same place I was told. The're a lovely car and probably the nicest version of the Mk 1 Granada.

I agree, an update on the coupe, the guy who bought it had parked it outside his house the night after he bought it, a gang of yobbo's did the back window and some of the chrome strip, why, God knows. Aparantly they did the panels on a few other cars on his road while they were at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

dubtom wrote:
    I agree, an update on the coupe, the guy who bought it had parked it outside his house the night after he bought it, a gang of yobbo's did the back window and some of the chrome strip, why, God knows. Aparantly they did the panels on a few other cars on his road while they were at it.
    theres a VERY nice ghia Coupé on ebay at the mo....not Irish of course (yet:) ) but i dont think you will get a decent Irish car of any type anymore unless you are very lucky.....the chaps with the good ones arent selling.....plenty of sh*te ones out there though that arent worth even thinking about.....

Any chance of a link, i searched ebay under fords and classics and couldn't find it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Corktina. I doubt if I'll get to the U.K. before Christmas at this stage.:(

MMM, looks nice and if it stayed at near that price a bargain and a half.

well, theres no reserve so someone could get a bargain, especially at this time of year....i would be inclined to stick in a low bid and take a chance on the condition......

...and I could always find a Cortina Owner to go look at it....they should have a fair idea..............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Sweet ca5t that green eBay one !

It's a 7 day listing so I'd say it get into to 2-3k bracket !

My buddy had one of these laid up for years, with a saloon for spares. It was dry stored indoors for about 15 years and he only sold it last year. It was an original Irish one. The guy he sold it to put it back on the road it real quick time with all the bodywork completed to a good standard !

The only problem was he was a "Bling" merchant !

The car appeared in bright orange with 17" wheels and a coke can exhaust !

Really turned heads though !!

and I could always find a Cortina Owner to go look at it....they should have a fair idea...
    Thats good to know Corktina, I'll leave it for a few days and see how it goes.

The pics in this thread prompt me to query the difference between the European and UK Granada Coupe's!!!
    I knew the Cortina's are markedly different from the European Spec Taunus cars, but when I looked at the pics of the Green Granada and the pics of the French Granada that I know for sale, I never really realised that the Cologne built Granada Coupe is slightly different from the UK one.
    The rear arch of the Cologne Granada Coupe is more "Coke bottle Style" than the straight running UK version.

GranadaMK1_083.jpg
    GranadaMK1_095.jpg
    GranadaMK1_097.jpg

Any preference, ideas?

Well spotted Paul !

Thats very interesting. It seems unlikely that they produced two body styles. Is the UK one a conversion I wonder ?

If not then maybe there WAS a change from the Mk1 to that later style. In fact that seems unlikely as the trend wouldv'e been away from the Coke style to a more staright looking slab sided car !

Anyone ?

MercMad wrote:
    Well spotted Paul !

Thats very interesting. It seems unlikely that they produced two body styles. Is the UK one a conversion I wonder ?

If not then maybe there WAS a change from the Mk1 to that later style. In fact that seems unlikely as the trend wouldv'e been away from the Coke style to a more staright looking slab sided car !

Anyone ?

From the facts and pics all over the net, I would only be able to conclude that there WERE indeed two body styles produced side by side: one for the UK/RHD market and the other for the European market. According to the "granada guild" pages (http://www.ford-granadaguild.org.uk) the Granada was built in Dagenham and in Cologne, but the Coupe exclusively in Cologne... , but strangely enough there is no mention at all on the site about the different Coupe styles ...
    If this was true, Ford would have had to build two differnt styles next to each other, with the 3.0 essex and other engines being shipped out to Cologne, because the European cars would get different engines, with the 2.3 litre V6 as their 'top of the range' engine.

Yeah I just looked a few of those sites and it does appear that way !

Seems odd though doesn't it !

Lovely car either way !

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote:
    Yeah I just looked a few of those sites and it does appear that way !

Seems odd though doesn't it !

Lovely car either way !

I'd say the reason is probably the desire or the need to keep both in-house design studios happy. Each factory could at least claim some of their own input in a particular model range, as opposed to blatantly taking over a design that was made in Cologne...

I must admit they both have their distinct charm, with the UK version pulling itself more 'squarely' (exuse my pun) into the seventies, whereas the Cologne coupe has hankerings to the more American late sixties/early seventies styling: it has a distinct Dodge Challenger kind of flair...

I see what you mean Paul, infact from you pic and the green one on ebay the back window section look completly different.
    gcoupe1xf.jpg

granadamk10974qf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mk1 gran

junkyard wrote: »
    Interesting and not a bad price if it was a good car. I remember hearing about one in Kildare, I believe it was the one used in the series Ballykissangel but I never followed it up. There was also a swiss reg. LHD Granada at the same place I was told. The're a lovely car and probably the nicest version of the Mk 1 Granada.

if you like to know i have that irish coupe now n she under restoration but never heard of it been in ballykissangel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

The 3.0 Essex had a lovely rumbly growl when you stepped on it. Coupes are a good investment.

been a zombie thread for just short of 8 years.... :-) new record!

I bought an irish dublin reg coupe lately that came from kildare as it the one junkyard on about 8 years ago! 1st irish coupe i ever seen as most wer from uk on zv plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

The saloon much nicer than the coupe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Fine looking cars. I wouldn't mind one for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    The pics in this thread prompt me to query the difference between the European and UK Granada Coupe's!!!
    I knew the Cortina's are markedly different from the European Spec Taunus cars, but when I looked at the pics of the Green Granada and the pics of the French Granada that I know for sale, I never really realised that the Cologne built Granada Coupe is slightly different from the UK one.
    The rear arch of the Cologne Granada Coupe is more "Coke bottle Style" than the straight running UK version.

Here's another one, probably called a two door.
    6511935431_a6b23cab8b.jpg

Here's an Irish one
    fs_31012010068.jpg

• Advertisement

Never put pic on here before so hope it come up of my coupe

Advertisement