Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Fascia and Soffit now

Options
  • 14-11-2005 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭

I am in the process of cleaning out my shutes and painting the fascia and soffit (wooden) on my 2 storey house.
    I had planned to do it during the summer but I had a delay in getting the required scaffolding.
    The wood is in excellent condition and I'll only need to paint it.
    What type of product should I use on it and do people think its too cold/wet to paint it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I just finished mine last weekend
    took forever but I was using a ladder (not really enough room for scaffolding down the side)
    The ends of mine are in terrible condition, I tried to see how bad and was able to stick a scraper stright through, totally rotten.
    For now I painted over but next summer I am going to have to replace/repair and then cover with PVC so I never have to do that crappy job again.

I had trouble getting a dry (non windy) day to pain a lot of the time. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

This time of the year, your enemy when doing any exterior painting is cold, followed closely by damp.
    For a fascia and soffit you should use an oil based sytem, u/coat and hard gloss. Lightly sand the previous finsh to provide a key for the fresh u/coat....do any filling you need to do prior to undercoating. Gaps can be filled with decorator's caulk which should be left to cure fully (24-36 hrs at this time of year)...nail holes can be filled with glazing putty.

As I said cold and damp are tough on wet paint during the winter...u/coat will take a bit longer to cure and gloss will take a lot, lot longer...in fact if there is an air frost while gloss is tacky, it will dull and loose it's shine and in some cases may blister. You have to remember too that since drying time is so much longer that if it rains while the paint is curing, that too may damage the gloss finish.
    Best to leave glossing till about 10am when the air temp has gone up a little and stop at about 2pm. U/coat you can apply earlier and later.
    A last tip for the gloss coat; thin the gloss with about 15-20% white spirits to allow it to flow....cold gloss staright out of the tin can have a very think consistency and lead you to apply it too thickly, leading to the paint "running".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well dont paint in the wet,its ok to paint now depending on time of day.Dulux do Weathershield Exterior High Gloss,its a flexible coating and meant for outside work.

But ordinary undercoat/gloss will do just fine also,but seeing as you went to extra yard to get scaffold I'd get the Weathershield Exterior High Gloss.Remember to bring a dry cloth with you to wipe any wets bits incase and some oil linseed putty for nail holes.

Oh! wear a monkey hat......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Just another tip,if you dont have white spirits to add to paint like wertz said,which he is 100% right in wintery conditions,gloss can be like very hard to apply.

When I was in Bolton St my instructor would never let us put white spirits in paint,so we had to leave pots on radiators to make consistancy of paint flow better.Just thinking now thats not very healthy now back then with fumes....:D.Or fill up a bucket half way with hot water and place paint in while lid is off a half an hour before painting...:)

Advertisement