Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin gardai abusing powers.

• 14-11-2005 3:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or do some of the gardai in dublin really need to go on communications courses or what? I have seen them abuse they're powers on numerous ocasions and just be blatently rude on many others. I really think that if the gardai want to have the respect and trust of the public, the majority of them need to use a nicer tone and learn how to say please and thank you. Just wondering what people thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The ones I ever came acroos were informative. I don't care if they're not friendly, and tbh, they shouldn't be. If they come across another drunk scumbag, should they try to be his friend, or try to load him into the van? I prefer option B, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

For a modern society their attitude towards the public in Dublin seems to be of crass ignorance, rudeness and a constant "i've got the power to arrest you" attitude.

Not the way forward for any sector dealing with the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

AFAIK they're trained to be like that, and it's common practice in any country.
    Part of their job, for there own safety, and to be in authority of any potentially dangerous situation is to intimidate you. It's why most police forces dress in black, carry weapons and address you in a blunt tone.

DubGuy wrote:
    they're trained to be like that

to be crass ignorant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DubGuy wrote:
    Part of their job, for there own safety, and to be in authority of any potentially dangerous situation is to intimidate you. It's why most police forces dress in black, carry weapons and address you in a blunt tone.

Also why the height rule was in place...

Its all well and good complaining but you are not putting yourself in the same situation. They deal with 20 incidents of the same crap every day and night they work.. You become de-sensitised in situations like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

DubGuy wrote:

Well they aren't trained very well for consistancy. I have met good and bad and they judge you a lot by what you are wearing or look like. If you are asking for directions or asking for help they should be polite an friendly. They are getting worse here and are apathetic to their duties now. I don't particularly blame them as they are so under resoused but they better realise that is a reason not an excuse and they are accountable for their actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've never came across a garda abusing their powers, being rude etc.
    Any guard I've met has been friendly (but I'm not a rough looking type anyway) and helpful(in cases where I needed help).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I think the gardai in Ireland are quite mild compared to their American and British counterparts whom I have witnessed in action on certain ocassions.

One police officer in California told a protestor to 'STFU or he would put him all over the sidewalk'!

Although the police in Australia are well trained in PR they have been known to shoot the odd offender without giving said person a chance to give themselves up.

Why should the Gardai be polite? They have to deal with the worst scumbags that crawl the face of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Is it just me or do some of the gardai in dublin really need to go on communications courses or what? I have seen them abuse they're powers on numerous ocasions
    Care to specify? Or have you just seen a Guard tell off some little punk that for all you know has been giving them and the public sh1t for years?

Police are not on the street to be your buddy, they're there to protect the peace. I've stopped them and asked for directions in Dublin more than once and found them to be very helpful, even though their not being paid to direct lost culchies around their city.

Dublin has some of the worst beats in the country, Store Street being one of the very worst, they've a lot of stuff to cope with, without giving big happy smiles to random passers-by. It's not a job I envy them, and I certainly wouldn't do it, would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've never come across a Garda who was impolite if I asked for directions. Brisk and to the point maybe but like Fozzle says, it ain't their job to provide directions.

Given a choice which would you prefer: a police force to be feared, or respected? It'd be nice for them to be respected but you have to remember that the people they have to deal with on a daily basis have no respect for anyone or anything. So, the Garda are left with the only option available to them: try and make the scumbags fear them.

Given the choice between a Garda force that are as impotent as ours are at dealing with scumbags and a Garda force that could legally baton anyone causing them a problem without questions being asked, I'd take the latter. A few protestors skulls being cracked is a small price to pay for peaceful streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i have always found them smart and cocky but its their job and can't be seen as push overs i suppose...but if i have ever needed directions or anything sighned or anything they have been straight to the point and have helped me as requested

jcoote wrote:
    i have always found them smart and cocky but its their job and can't be seen as push overs i suppose...but if i have ever needed directions or anything sighned or anything they have been straight to the point and have helped me as requested

Well try not looking like your average joe and then you get to see what they are like. Over the years I have changed my general style but for a a long time I had long hair and a beard. I can tell you that cops can be very rude in this country and predjudicial. I was stopped and searched many times for no other reason than my apperance.
    I noticed that when I had shorter hair and no beard I was treated very differently by them same cops in many cases.
    There are an awfull lot who dislike being in Dublin and dislike people from Dublin. I have seen cops attack people without good reason and threaten people. The fact cops have been proved to be guilty of planting evidence, assulting people and many cops were involved in not giving evidence proves there is at least a small problem.
    I have friends who are cops and I know they abuse there powers. There is a an unwritten code that if you hit a femal cop you are putting your life on the line. Ask any cop you know and they will explain how it is fair but don't realise that this same form of beating a prisoner could be used for "other" reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

There is a an unwritten code that if you hit a femal cop you are putting your life on the line.

And rightly so might I add.

I personally don't find that Dublin Gardai abuse their power. I've never had a bad experience with a Garda before, they always come across as decent, friendly people. I've spent quite a bit of time with them and know that they (well the ones I've met) are quite pleasant and upbeat, which is surprising considering the rubbish that they have to put up with in this country, and especially in Dublin.

they don't abuse their power...yeah right...I know from a very reliable source
    that they were refused free food from a certain well known fast-food joint in the Dublin city centre - they then threatened the manager that if they don't get their free burgers....there might be a "delay" in arriving on the scene next time they are needed. Legally that can be classified as blackmail. This sort of carry-on is unacceptable.

Ask any barstaff down the country where they drink "after hours" and have their own lock-in. They intimidate the owners and staff and "they" decide what time the bar will shut at. Again - blatent abuse of power.

Now I know the force are the paragon of ethical standards compared to policing standards in places like South America but this is 21st century Europe and us tax payers pay their wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Jetson and laura the only problem i'd have with what you say is that it's in your experience, in other words it's only gardai you have come across, so what % of the force is that,i wouldn't doubt there are bad gardai and that you have seen them, there are bad elements in all social groups and i'm sure the power of the gardai can be appealling to that mindset. but seriously neither of you even bothered to suggest it wasn't every garda.

i can think of twenty gardai i know offhand who i've never seen act as described here. in fact in response to jetsons last post i used to work in a Gaa club that was often raided and shut down for running over time by the gardai, despite the fact that it was a garda favourite, and any off duty gardai in the lounge scarpered to the toilet afraid of any disciplinary action that might befall them if caught in the lounge, the on duty gardai never asked us to stay open.
    also your paragraph of "ask any barstaff down the country..." is at best an exageration and at worst a terrible example of hearsay conjecture and gossip. please, facts only.
    also "i know from a very reliable source..." wasn't that uttered around the sunday independant offices a few saturdays ago?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    And rightly so might I add.

Not really, this basically means if they think you deserve a beating you will get it. SO if they haven't been able to prove something in court, take a dislike to you, think you are responsible for something and any other reason they can think of they can beat you up and get away witgh it. It appears thay have beaten people to death in custody including a child.
    So for what ever you think about the rightness of beating sombody for hitting a female cop it proves that if they can cover that up and justify it they can do it for anything. Corruption is wrong no matter what because it makes it possible to do it for the wrong reasons just as much for percieved "good" reasons.
    I have been threaten by cops both legally and illegally and I have seen them beat people and not arrest them. The problem areas are where they act the most like this becasue they know they can get away with it. THey actually make the areas worse as locals can't trust them.

Not really, this basically means if they think you deserve a beating you will get it. SO if they haven't been able to prove something in court, take a dislike to you, think you are responsible for something and any other reason they can think of they can beat you up and get away witgh it.

If you attack a member of the police force (be it female or male) you deserve a beating, thats all I said. Do you not agree?

[edit] - Perhaps not to within inches of your life but just enough to let them know who's boss and not to try something that idiotic again.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If you attack a member of the police force (be it female or male) you deserve a beating, thats all I said. Do you not agree?

[edit] - Perhaps not to within inches of your life but just enough to let them know who's boss and not to try something that idiotic again.

THe point remains if they can choose to beat you up and not have anything happen to them they willl do it for anything they want. I don't think the cops have the right to be judge aswell no matter what so no Idon't agree. The reason is simple they have,are and will abuse this. They have killed people and they singled out people for abuse unjustly because they can.
    I have seen cops beat people up for no other reason than desire. I have been told by cops how they like to beat up junkies and the homeless at night for a laugh!
    So simply put I don't think the cops should beat people up for any reason. They can defend themselves all they like but excessive force is what they are doing and covering up. If they can cover up this and there is a a policy of silence allowed they can cover anything and have.

I have been told by cops how they like to beat up junkies and the homeless at night for a laugh!

Thats just plain ridiculous.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Thats just plain ridiculous.

I think it is ridiculous they do this too!

I think it is ridiculous they do this too!

Why did a Garda tell you this? Did you report them?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Why did a Garda tell you this? Did you report them?

Because I know them since childhood. I don't really care about junkies do you? Who is going to believe me and it could be bravado but I think it is at least partially true.
    I grew up in Dublin and saw cops beat teenagers up and steal their drink practially weekly. It is part of what Dublin cops do and when I say Dublin I men the ones working here who are very rarely used to urban environments.

They certainly abuse their power in this city but if you aren't in their scope of bad people or easy targets you probably never notice.

I don't really care about junkies do you?

I wouldn't really say I "care" about them, I only really "care" about people I know and who are close to me, but for a Garda to beat a junkie purely for the fact that they are an easy target is disgraceful. I'm glad to say I have never seen such an incident, in fact to the contrary, I have only ever experienced Gardai being accomodating to people in vulnerable situations (unless that person has given them reason to do otherwise).

I have plenty of experience with the Gardai, spent lots of my childhood in the original Blanchardstown Garda Station (;) , my dad is a Garda, I wasn't a juvenile delinquent!) and have only ever had good personal experiences with them. Obviously people will have differing experiences but I can only go on what I know, and I know two very nice and respectable people in Templemore at the moment (a good friend and a first cousin), who I know for certain would not even consider attacking vulernable people without adequate reason (i.e. - being under threat or being attacked first).

The fact your dad was a cop wouldn't affect how you see cops?
    I wasn't a deliquent but I knew quite a few. Cops accused them of things they didn't do and harrased them. Rightly so some would say.
    Cops beat people up unnessarily it is a fact as proved by investigations. Not all do it but there is definitely a wall of silence about it. Cops have covered for other cops or been too afraid to say anything.
    I have seen cops beat people up and then drive away and I also saw cops steal. I have been in a friends house and he handed me beers stolen from a teenager the week before. That is a corrupt system.
    ASk your dad what happens to the beer taken awy from teenagers or does he think people have been roughly handled when there was no longer a need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I grew up in Dublin and saw cops beat teenagers up and steal their drink practially weekly.

If you're referring to minors "knacker-drinking" in the city, then

(a) I would fully condone the alcohol being confiscated from them without return.

and

(b) there are more fundamental social problems with these people and their family dynamic then the Gardai taking alcohol off them because they're underage and drinking in public.

bruachain wrote:
    If you're referring to minors "knacker-drinking" in the city, then

(a) I would fully condone the alcohol being confiscated from them without return.

and

(b) there are more fundamental social problems with these people and their family dynamic then the Gardai taking alcohol off them because they're underage and drinking in public.
    Say if they are teenagers in a wealthy suburb and they do it intentially to get free booze. What if they beat up the teenagers in the city as well as take the drink. Say if they teenager fights back and they beat him to detah?

Say if they are teenagers in a wealthy suburb and they do it intentially to get free booze. What if they beat up the teenagers in the city as well as take the drink. Say if they teenager fights back and they beat him to detah?

Whats you point? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Have you some sort of a grudge against the law/Gardai?

bruachain wrote:
    Whats you point? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Have you some sort of a grudge against the law/Gardai?

THe title is about how they are corrupt and abusive. I think they are corrupt and abusive. I am explaining why and what Ithey do

• Advertisement

Say if they are teenagers in a wealthy suburb and they do it intentially to get free booze.

If a teenager, i.e. someone under the legal age, is in possession of a controlled substance, in this case alcohol, then there is no question but that it should be confiscated without remit and compensation.

End of story.

THe title is about how they are corrupt and abusive. I think they are corrupt and abusive. I am explaining why and what Ithey do

Have you ever been arrested or subjected to this "alleged" corruption and abuse?

bruachain wrote:
    If a teenager, i.e. someone under the legal age, is in possession of a controlled substance, in this case alcohol, then there is no question but that it should be confiscated without remit and compensation.

End of story.

No not end of story. Cops do not have the right to beat people up if they see fit. The cops are beating people up and abusing their power. The "allegation" are things I have seen as I grew up. People don't tend to listen to you when you are 16 and the cops know that.
    The fact a teenager was found dead in a cop station suggests worse goes on. Donegal cops have proved they can at least be corrupt and good cops don't stand up and stop it.
    People I know who are cops admit it is still done makes me think it still goes on.

Cops do not have the right to beat people up if they see fit.

Absolutely
    The cops are beating people up and abusing their power.

Completely generalised allegation without any foundation, unless you wish to offer some tangible evidence that would support it?
    People don't tend to listen to you when you are 16 and the cops know that.

Is this actually about the Gardai or have you issues with not being listened to/teenagers not being listened to?
    People I know who are cops admit it is still done makes me think it still goes on.

Admit that what "is still done"?

Regarding my previous question, have you been arrested, or had a run in with the law lately? This seems like a mindless rant with no basis for argument. I stand open to correction if you wish.

bruachain wrote:
    Completely generalised allegation without any foundation, unless you wish to offer some tangible evidence that would support it?
    Explain what happened in Donegal and the people found dead in cells and the may day police actions. It is fact documented investigated and still ibeing investigated. Cops beside cops said they didn't recognise the cop hitting people and never saw them use excessive violence.Corruption plain and simple
    bruachain wrote:
    Is this actually about the Gardai or have you issues with not being listened to/teenagers not being listened to?
    I am not a teenager but I remember what the cops did.
    bruachain wrote:
    Admit that what "is still done"?
    Read the whole thread I have said what.
    bruachain wrote:
    Regarding my previous question, have you been arrested, or had a run in with the law lately? This seems like a mindless rant with no basis for argument. I stand open to correction if you wish.
    Never but I have had cops hit me, intimidate me and steal from me. Just becasue you haven't doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The cops are nice to certain people and not to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Ive never once heard of someone being beaten up by a garda and Ive had (and so have many of my friends) many run-ins with them for underage drinking, overage drunk&disorderly etc. I reckon people you know are probably just dodgy looking scumbags squaring up to the garda when challenged, they probably deserve a dig or two. That is if youre not just basing your accusations on random rumours.

• Advertisement

Never but I have had cops hit me, intimidate me and steal from me. Just becasue you haven't doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The cops are nice to certain people and not to others.

I've had this discussion with people before, and the chance of an average, law-abiding citizen either being arrested or having a run in with the law, or even knowing a family member/friend who has either, is neglible.

If you've had some run ins with the Gardai and received some trouble, the chances are you deserved it.

You may be one of these intellectually challenged individuals who has no respect for the law or authority, and who feels the need to blame society/the Gardai/the powers that be/the establishment for your own problems.
    Never but I have had cops hit me, intimidate me and steal from me.

Would you care to enlighten us to the details of this? Until now you've just made generalised comments and allegations which seem to be mostly from hearsay.

bruachain wrote:
    I've had this discussion with people before, and the chance of an average, law-abiding citizen either being arrested or having a run in with the law, or even knowing a family member/friend who has either, is neglible.
    Nobody in this country is law abiding everybody breaks laws everyday from speeding to jwalking. When you aren't average they pick on you or suspect you.
    bruachain wrote:
    If you've had some run ins with the Gardai and received some trouble, the chances are you deserved it.
    Explain what happened in Donegal where a man who wasn't even murderd managed to be used to jail people. The pub owner who was framed. These people have been proved innocent but using your logic they deserved it.
    Explain how the cops got a junkie to admit a crime he didn't commit and give detail of the crime that only the murderer and cops knew. Being guilty of one crime doesn't make you guilty of all.
    bruachain wrote:
    You may be one of these intellectually challenged individuals who has no respect for the law or authority, and who feels the need to blame society/the Gardai/the powers that be/the establishment for your own problems.

Yes insulting me makes sense because I don't agree with you and have a different experience to you so I must be the problem. Are you a cop because jumping to conclusions like that seems to be their way.

Respect also goes both ways and if you look a certain way or dress a certain way the cops start by disrespecting you.

I have blamed nobody for my actions I hold the Gardai responsible for theirs yet you think they always have a good reason based on no evidence other than their job.
    bruachain wrote:
    Would you care to enlighten us to the details of this? Until now you've just made generalised comments and allegations which seem to be mostly from hearsay.
    Have you read the thread. As a teenager I had cops hit me and take the alcohol off me. I have been stopped and search because they suspected I had drugs on me 5 times in one week and called names while they did this. They stole money from my pockets so I couldn't buy drugs (according to them ) and they took my fags each time too.

Why did they do this? I must be a criminal according to you yet I have never been arrested, charged or suspected of a crime.

Have you read the thread. As a teenager I had cops hit me and take the alcohol off me. I have been stopped and search because they suspected I had drugs on me 5 times in one week and called names while they did this. They stole money from my pockets so I couldn't buy drugs (according to them ) and they took my fags each time too.

If you had alcohol or cigarettes as a minor they were absolutely correct in taking them from you. You still havent clarified what the exact situation was?

Is that not the law?

And I think you'll find I never insulted you, I merely suggested you may be someone who thinks like this.

So far you've offered nothing but biased ranting against the Gardai, the majority of whom do a very good job under extremely difficult circumstances. You are tarring them all with the same brush due to the actions of a small minority.

Attitudes like yours only serve to undermine your point of view.

bruachain wrote:
    If you had alcohol or cigarettes as a minor they were absolutely correct in taking them from you. You still havent clarified what the exact situation was?
    No as a teenager I could smoke from 16 (the law) and at 19 I am leagally able to have alcohol. Assault is breaking the law and I wasn't the one doing it. I am obviously older than you think. Even if I was underage and had alcohol with me they still don't have the right to steal or assult me.
    bruachain wrote:
    Is that not the law?

NO!
    Assaulting a minor is however as is theft of money and possesions is against the law.
    bruachain wrote:
    And I think you'll find I never insulted you, I merely suggested you may be someone who thinks like this.

Well that would not stand up in a court of law as your intent was to suggest I was as you described and symatics doesn't really hold water. You have obvious distain for my views and experiences.
    bruachain wrote:
    So far you've offered nothing but biased ranting against the Gardai, the majority of whom do a very good job under extremely difficult circumstances. You are tarring them all with the same brush due to the actions of a small minority.

You didn't read the thread then and keep avoiding the proved cases. The cops that have not done the deed covered for those that have and are therefore compliant
    bruachain wrote:
    Attitudes like yours only serve to undermine your point of view.

Explain my point of view and how I undermine it. You keep assuming I am some dodgy charcter that went looking for trouble and deserved it. I was a teenager like most others and the police in my area acted and still do act this way. Some of the people the cops mistreated are now hardened criminals that these cops are affraid of.

No as a teenager I could smoke from 16 (the law) and at 19 I am leagally able to have alcohol. Assault is breaking the law and I wasn't the one doing it. I am obviously older than you think. Even if I was underage and had alcohol with me they still don't have the right to steal or assult me.

Assaulting a minor is however as is theft of money and possesions is against the law.

Are you suggesting that a Garda taking alcohol from a minor is theft! That's laughable!

You didn't read the thread then and keep avoiding the proved cases. The cops that have not done the deed covered for those that have and are therefore compliant

I'm not at all defending the cases you've referred to in Donegal etc., I'm fully in agreement that not enough is being done about these situations.

Where I disagree with your argument is in that you seem to be saying that the Gardai as a force are completely corrupt and they all abuse their powers. Beyond making brief references to high profile cases that have been well documented in the press, you have yet to point to any evidence that "Dublin gardai abusing powers", which I believe is the thread title!

• Advertisement

bruachain wrote:
    Are you suggesting that a Garda taking alcohol from a minor is theft! That's laughable!
    Yes it is if they bring it home aand drink it. I also said they stole my money and fags. You conveniently choose to ignore points when it suits you.
    bruachain wrote:
    I'm not at all defending the cases you've referred to in Donegal etc., I'm fully in agreement that not enough is being done about these situations.

Where I disagree with your argument is in that you seem to be saying that the Gardai as a force are completely corrupt and they all abuse their powers. Beyond making brief references to high profile cases that have been well documented in the press, you have yet to point to any evidence that "Dublin gardai abusing powers", which I believe is the thread title!
    I have recounted accounts of Gardai tell me how they abuse their powers. I have stated how they abused their power on me personally. I have seen them do worse to others. THe high profile cases are evidence and prove that it can and does happen. The cops use the same logic to measure how much drugs come into the country. The work it out on the basis that they stop 10% so the amount of drugs coming into the country is ten times that.
    THe mayday riots show how bad the corruption is. Video evidence showing cops beating people and cops look at each other claiming thay don't recognise each other. What exactly would convince you other than them doing something to you that their is corruption on a general basis.
    I have seen consistant abuse of power while I lived in Dublin you can choose not to believe me.
    Did you read the whole thread yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

the problem is morning star you're using donegal (where a relatively small group of gardai were involved, relative to the size of the force, pus it's not dublin, as you said earlier the thread is called dublin gardai abusing powers) and the situation of the youngster found dead in custody, as you pointed out under investigation, anything may have happened to him, so we need to keep an open mind as to why that happened (but wasn't that down the country) anyway the problem for me is you are basing a judgement of all gardai based on these two main points and some run-ins you had, be honest you're probably talking about 5% or less of the gardai in your points, and you're right that it's wrong and it's got to stop but you seem to be tarring all garadai with the same brush.

let me put it to you another way, do you think all priests are child abusers, or all swimming coaches. you are damning an entire group on the perceived action of a tiny minority

Yes it is if they bring it home aand drink it. I also said they stole my money and fags. You conveniently choose to ignore points when it suits you.................

........Did you read the whole thread yet?

You conveniently choose to ignore the law! What right do you have as a minor to be in the possession of alcohol, albeit in public or in your house??

Yes, I've read the thread several times. I still fail to get what you're trying to say!?

Would you disagree with the statement that you have a deep dislike of the Gardai?

bruachain wrote:
    You conveniently choose to ignore the law! What right do you have as a minor to be in the possession of alcohol, albeit in public or in your house??
    As I said I was legally able to have fags and money when I was 16. They were stolen off me and I was not breaking any law. THey do not have the right to assult a minor just because the minors are breaking the law either way and theft is theft even if a cop does it.
    bruachain wrote:
    Yes, I've read the thread several times. I still fail to get what you're trying to say!?
    Well read it again and maybe you might rememeber what I said. I was innocent of all crimes when I was robbed by Gardai. When I was breaking the law by drinking underage I was assulted and more items were stolen from me. These were not isolated events to me as an individual or an individual cop. Why are you choosing to ignore what I am saying. COps have acted illegally on me and their is evidence they are still doing the same.
    bruachain wrote:
    Would you disagree with the statement that you have a deep dislike of the Gardai?

I would say it was untrue. I dislike corruption and acceptance off said corruption. Unlike you I don't blindly believe cops in this country are correct but have to prove a case before acting.

To give you an equally stupid statement to agree or disagree with .
    Would it be fair to say you believe if cops beat somebody up they deserve it no questions asked?

To give you an equally stupid statement to agree or disagree with .
    Would it be fair to say you believe if cops beat somebody up they deserve it no questions asked?

:rolleyes: What do you think - no.

Well MorningStar, nice debate, let me summarise by suggesting that if you completely believe that you've been been the victim of

- intimidation
    - assault
    - theft
    - harassment

(all alleged in this thread I believe? :D)

by the Gardai, that you find yourself a good solicitor, and take the appropriate action.

If I was going about my business and subjected to the sort of treatment that you've received, I certainly would be exploring the legal avenues open to me!

Look forward to seeing you in the paper as the new Frank McBrearty Jr.! ;)
    jus·tice ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jsts)
    n.
    The quality of being just; fairness.

The principle of moral rightness; equity.
    Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness.

The upholding of what is just, especially fair treatment and due reward in accordance with honor, standards, or law.
    Law. The administration and procedure of law.
    Conformity to truth, fact, or sound reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Morningstar, you didn't resist on any of these occasions did you? Or act the gob****e with the guards? Aren't you the lucky lad Luggs Brannigan wasn't "on the beat" when these alleged abuses of power by Dublin guards happened. BTW we dont have "cops" here, we have guards, "cops" this and "cops" that, ahem, cops live in america...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Actually, we have gardai. Another thing we dont have is any independant ombudsman or external control mechanism for the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Morningstar,
    The only allegation you haven't fully explained is that of assault. Could you elaborate?

Tomohawk wrote:
    Morningstar, you didn't resist on any of these occasions did you? Or act the gob****e with the guards? Aren't you the lucky lad Luggs Brannigan wasn't "on the beat" when these alleged abuses of power by Dublin guards happened. BTW we dont have "cops" here, we have guards, "cops" this and "cops" that, ahem, cops live in america...

Doing nothing walking down the street cops didn't like the look of me and stopped and searched me as I went to visit a friend. THey did so the next day and also stopped and searched me as I went home. THe next day the same again. No reason other than they didn't like the look of me, they stole my money and fags called me a hippy and various other names and slapped me in the face a few times (that is assult and theft). THis was a way to intimidate people from coming into the area where they could get drugs (hash, speed, e etc...). Rather than use the law they made up their own method of law enforcement. I know why they did it but it doesn't make it right and the profited out of it.
    They are only alleged if somebody else alleges them and we speak about them. They are event that happened to me and if you don't believe them say so instead of suggesting it.
    What you fail to see is that just because it didn't happen in your area or to you that other areas don't do this. I was in the Coolock station zone where the cops deal with some of the worst situations as crime stats say. That makes the cops rule by intimidation not community policing and law enforcement. The mistrust of cops is justified as they are seen abusing their power regularly.

I can call the cops as it is slang for all police forces world wide as is pig but that is more derogatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

working as a Garda, cannot say i have ever beat up any homeless people or junkies,
    its a common enough perception the any beer seized is drunk back at the station, however its a false one , given a choice of drinking a dirty can of Dutch Gold etc thats been god knows where, and a nice chilled bottle of erdinger when i get home , there's no competition !:D
    I would take bruachain's advice a see a solicitor and u will be laughing all the way to the bank !:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement