Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one interested in a Hitachi TX100 (just refurbed)

Options
  • 14-11-2005 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Dont want to clog up the Forsale board with an interest thread, but is anyone in the market for a 720p projector? Toying with the idea of changing to a higher contrast model. Its just back from Hitachi for a refurb (it was slightly more red on one side of the screen than the other), so its basically "like new". Ive also ordered a new lamp (I get just over 1100hrs with them, but I run it as a TV).

I can also supply a Goo Systems painted MDF board (about 90" 16:9), it was my first attempt at a DIY screen (switched over to a Light Fusion screen now). I can even give you the remainder of the Goo paint (it cost about €150 in total). Its the Dark Grey type, so very good for boosting black levels.

Full Specs here:
    http://www.hitachiconsumer.com.my/PJ-TX100.asp
    Note its HDCP compliant, so Sky-HD next year shouldnt be a problem and contrast is 1200:1 (not on that page for some reason).

Have the box and manuals too. Looking for around €1100 for the lot (Screen, Goo Paint and TX100 with 2 lamps, one unused).

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

Yes, but the price would have to drop signifcantly. Is the bulb brand new? How much are replacement bulbs? Why was it refurbished?

And why do you want higher contrast than 1200:1?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The Troll wrote:

Make an offer then! I would only point out that that price doesnt include shipping, screen, paint, additional bulb nor have I ever heard of them.

As in the initial post:
    - 2nd Bulb is new, current one is about 66% used (rated for 2000hrs). I paid €300 for the bulb.
    - It was refurbed because of a red glow on the left side of the screen. I beleive Hitachi replaced the LCD panel to correct this.

Im not sure what exactly you are asking about my preference for higher than 1200:1 contrast.. I guess its because I had a Plasma before this and prefer the black levels it generated.

Matt

Have you used it for games at all? Is there a warranty on it? *May* be interested in it, as I'm in the market for a pj at the mo.

Also, wouldnt have much interest in the screen or the paint

The Troll wrote:
    Have you used it for games at all? Is there a warranty on it? *May* be interested in it, as I'm in the market for a pj at the mo.

Also, wouldnt have much interest in the screen or the paint

Yes, I have an XB, GameCube and of course PC connected to it permanently. I play most XB stuff in 480p (some rare games support 720p). Works fine in either 50 or 60hz also. Given the high native res, it scales down extremely well. I play PC stuff in 1280x720, which as expected performs great.

In regards warranty, it had a manufacturers warranty of 1 year which has just expired, however all purchases in the EU are warrantied for 2 years, which is how I had it refurbed. Therefore there is about 11months legal warranty remaining.

Matt

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote:
    Yes, I have an XB, GameCube and of course PC connected to it permanently. I play most XB stuff in 480p (some rare games support 720p). Works fine in either 50 or 60hz also. Given the high native res, it scales down extremely well. I play PC stuff in 1280x720, which as expected performs great.

In regards warranty, it had a manufacturers warranty of 1 year which has just expired, however all purchases in the EU are warrantied for 2 years, which is how I had it refurbed. Therefore there is about 11months legal warranty remaining.

Matt

How does it perform for Xbox games? Do you have Halo 2? I find that is the best game to test projectors with as the black levels come out really badly on alot of projectors. Levels like warlock and colossus are almost unplayable on many pjs, as the stated contrast ratios dont live up to the c ratio stated in the spec. Ie a pj that says it has a contrast ratio of 1200:1 often performs as badly with balc levels as a pj with contrast ratio of 200:1.
    Also where abouts are you based?

The Troll wrote:
    How does it perform for Xbox games? Do you have Halo 2? I find that is the best game to test projectors with as the black levels come out really badly on alot of projectors. Levels like warlock and colossus are almost unplayable on many pjs, as the stated contrast ratios dont live up to the c ratio stated in the spec. Ie a pj that says it has a contrast ratio of 1200:1 often performs as badly with balc levels as a pj with contrast ratio of 200:1.
    Also where abouts are you based?

I played through the entire game on it, no issues there. I set the Iris to 4 or lower with the Light Fusion (its mirror based) screen as its extremely high gain while boosting blacks (so they claim), so I get pretty close to the quoted Contrast I would expect.

Im in the Dublin 15 area.

Matt

I'm in South Dublin and don't drive, so D15 could be difficult for me. Also, i'd want to demo before i took it as well, so that'd complicate matters even further.

The Troll wrote:
    I'm in South Dublin and don't drive, so D15 could be difficult for me. Also, i'd want to demo before i took it as well, so that'd complicate matters even further.

Well, to be honest, Im not entirely comfortable with giving address details let alone showings to someone with less than 1mth of time on a forum! I can assure you it performs as described, infact I purchased this from a UK Website sight unseen. Ive a long standing reputation of selling items here, no complaints.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

Can I hijack your thread and ask you what you think of the Goo system?

Would you use it with your next projector?

I have a TX100 myself and just project onto a white wall at the mo. Wondering if its worth slapping a bit of Goo onto the wall.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote:
    Well, to be honest, Im not entirely comfortable with giving address details let alone showings to someone with less than 1mth of time on a forum! I can assure you it performs as described, infact I purchased this from a UK Website sight unseen. Ive a long standing reputation of selling items here, no complaints.

Matt

Well i've actually been here for 3 years under various guises. "The troll" is my latest one. I've bought numerous items successfully off other board members including mods and can pm you details if required. If you don't want to demo a projector, thats your decision but there is 0% chance of me even considering a purchase without a demo. If it was €10 maybe. Certainly not €1k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

This being one of those other guises.

smadger wrote:
    Can I hijack your thread and ask you what you think of the Goo system?

Would you use it with your next projector?

I have a TX100 myself and just project onto a white wall at the mo. Wondering if its worth slapping a bit of Goo onto the wall.

For blacks definately, but the colour tends to suffer a little. Light Fusion is better, tho hard to get the contrast just right (and the hassle of needing a Mirror to paint etc). Goo Paint is kinda pricey, but it works.

Matt

Matt Simis wrote:

Matt

Do you think i'm going to rob your projector? Moo haww haww haww haww

The Troll wrote:
    Well i've actually been here for 3 years under various guises. "The troll" is my latest one. I've bought numerous items successfully off other board members including mods and can pm you details if required. If you don't want to demo a projector, thats your decision but there is 0% chance of me even considering a purchase without a demo. If it was €10 maybe. Certainly not €1k

So, are you offering €1000 then? ;)
    I didnt say no to a demo, but I dont have time for "tyre kickers" from what seemed like a forum newbie.

And Im sure you can appreciate you have to be careful who you let into your home in this day and age, you after after all a total stranger that knows I have an expensive bit of AV to sell!

Matt

Matt Simis wrote:
    So, are you offering €1000 then? ;)
    I didnt say no to a demo, but I dont have time for "tyre kickers" from what seemed like a forum newbie.

And Im sure you can appreciate you have to be careful who you let into your home in this day and age, you after after all a total stranger that knows I have an expensive bit of AV to sell!

Matt

No it wasn't an offer of 1k, but i would imagine that any haggling i do with you won't get you down much past that figure. Understand about strangers etc, but obviously i'd want to see a demo if i was to consider buying it. As you'll see in the wanted section, i've been after a pj for a while now. I've viewed a few from other boards members but the black levels on them havn't been good enough for me to buy them. Posted a new thread today looking for a pj.

I checked your one out on PJCentral and AVForums and it seems to have gotten pretty good reviews on both, so i'm defo interested, but transport is a big problem for me as I dont drive.

The Troll wrote:
    As you'll see in the wanted section, i've been after a pj for a while now. I've viewed a few from other boards members but the black levels on them havn't been good enough for me to buy them. Posted a new thread today looking for a pj.

The problem there is you are viewing them in a differenent environment than you are using and with a different screen material no doubt. The difference between a generic PJ Screen, the Goo Systems paint and a Light Fusion screen is massive with the same projector. Which is why, barring spotting technical problems, a viewing is largely pointless. Im not against it, id just argue the point on those grounds. Besides, as you say, you have no way of getting out here, to the wilds of Dublin 15!

Matt

Advertisement