Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Protein Vegetarian Recipes

Options
  • 14-11-2005 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any high-protein veggie recipes, something simple to cook or buy off a shelf and mix with other ingredients and consume?

I've found since I went on this veggie diet thing at the start of September that I am losing a noticeable amount of muscle mass yet I have actually gained weight. I definitely have too much carbs in my diet and so want to combat that.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Protein:Many People believe that vegetarian and particularly vegan diets cannot
    possibly provide sufficient protein.This is an old wives' tale.
    Eight essential amino acids are needed to make a complete protein.Dairy products,eggs and
    soya products(tofu,tempeh,soya drinks and desserts)all provide complete protein in themselves.

Combining whole grains(unrefined wheat,rye,millet,barlet,spelt,rice,quinoa)
    with pulses(beans,peas,lentils)and supplementing with small amounts of nuts and seeds also
    provides plenty of protein.All the essential amino acids are found in combinations
    such as beans on toast,lentil curry with brown rice,musli with milk,hummus made from chickpeas
    and sesame tahini,peanut butter sandwiches made from wholemeal bread.It isn't even necessary
    to combine different food types at the samee meal since our bodies can store amino
    acids for later use.
    From the sticky, if you want to know about any other things,B12 etc read it.
    It's quite easy to get protein in suffcient amounts,try plain old beans,nuts and sunflower seeds.Quorn is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Apollonaire

damien.m wrote:
    Anyone got any high-protein veggie recipes, something simple to cook or buy off a shelf and mix with other ingredients and consume?

If you want something off the shelf then I would recommend Quorn. It's high in myco-protein, low in fat (depending on the type you use) and comes in many varieties so you don't get bored of the same thing over and over again.

Other than that the usual stuff like chickpeas, etc. I would recommend Middle Eastern food which is flavoursome and contains vegetables and pulses as a common source of protein. Plus many recipes don't take that long to do and to do right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

Protien foods I use are seeds such as sunflower, sesame and all others, all types of nuts, soya milk and tofu. Tofu is good for it, can be stirfried with all sauces and herbs to flavour it. If your worried about too much carbs try go for fresh vegetables instead of breads and potatoes.

Advertisement