Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a Samsing 32inch LCD TV

• 14-11-2005 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking at buying this: Samsung 32" LCD-TV LE32R51B.
    Link:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313313&cks=SPK

I also saw it in Currys for roughly the same price.

Can anyone advise on the following:

1) Price, is it worth the 1500 euro?

2) Picture Quality, connections etc

3) Alternatives, is there anything that someone could recommend in a similar size and price?

Hope you all can help.

Quazzy

[edit: Apologies on the title spelling]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

These are on sale in DID at the moment for €1260

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

The Troll wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

Still would like to know if the TV is a good one, though?
    So if anyone out there has one please lemme know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The Troll wrote:

What!!!:eek: i was charged 1600, but mine is a 41B model not the 51B model

Whats the difference?

Sparky_S wrote:
    What!!!:eek: i was charged 1600, but mine is a 41B model not the 51B model

Whats the difference?
    I thinks its an updated model of your 41B.

Is your 41B any good?
    Would you recommend Samsung in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

TBH i think the only differnce between the two tellys is the cosmetic ie different plastics ..just ordered one of the 51b models meself

Got it for €1000 directly from Samsung :D one of the perks of working for them :D

• Advertisement

MR DAZ wrote:
    TBH i think the only differnce between the two tellys is the cosmetic ie different plastics ..just ordered one of the 51b models meself

Got it for €1000 directly from Samsung :D one of the perks of working for them :D

Fancy making yourself a commission on another? Say you need a second tv for your bedroom. I'll pay you €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Sorry Troll

family and friends have already worn this option out for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

The Troll wrote:

Which DID store has them for this price? Last I saw (a few weeks ago) they were on "sale" for €1599 same as Curry's/Dixons/Power City.

Jerome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

The R51 has a digital freeview tuner built in, the R41 does not. I have the R51. The picture is great for sport and brightly coloured images, but falls down on it's blacks. ie they are dark grey. The upside of this is you can see the detail in the dark pictures without the bleeding that you would get on a crt.
    My other bad point is the picture zoom features. It has 5, but 3 of them are the same. (wide, auto wide, and panorama). then you have 4:3 and zoom. The zoom is like 16:9 expand on Philips and zoom on Sony tv's and can be expanded and shrunk, but you have to set it up every time you turn on the tv. I feel it is missing a picture mode like super zoom on philips and smart on a sony.
    It also only has one RGB scart.
    Overall i am happy with it but these are the drawbacks i found with it.

quazzy wrote:
    I thinks its an updated model of your 41B.

Is your 41B any good?
    Would you recommend Samsung in general?

payed for but collecting it on wednesday, yeah searched the samsung website and the 51 is a IDTV for freeview :D

Cant wait till i get my dvd aswell :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

You guys sure because I have been some reading over at avforums.com and it looks like there are basically 4 samsung R models

the
    LXXR41B
    and
    LXXR51B

which both have digital freeview variations called:

LXXR41BD
    and
    LXXR51BD

Typically, if it is not called LXXRX1BD it does not contain the freeview digital receiver.

Also, it looks like there is only superficial differences between the R41 and R51 models, basically the R51 models have a V shaped under the screen and possibly have 8ms response times rather than 12ms, otherwise these machines are identical (they even take the same firmware).

Jerome

well ive been doing a bit of research and the LE32R51B/BD looks like this:
    le23r51b_mid.jpg

while the LE32R41B/BD looks like this:
    le26r41bx_mid.jpg

BUT and a big BUT.
    The previous LE32R41B/BD looks like the LE32R51B/BD, i think the LE32R41B/BD ive shown is the new model.

Its confusing.

Sparky_S,
    Can you let me know how you find the tv when u get it this week?

ffocused,
    Thanks for your comments on the TV, sounds to me like a good option.

The Troll,

I wandered up to DID in Blanch and could only find one Sammy, Which branch did (pandom the pun) you see it in?

I also checked the DID website and found zippo, nothing....
    www.didstore.com

Keep the info coming.....

Quazzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

jeromeof is correct. i checked the manual and it is for the LE32R41BD and 51BD. The tech specs at the back are exactly the same and there is nothing in the manual that is specific to one or the other.
    To sum up, you get an iDTV tuner with the BD models and none with the B models.

quazzy wrote:
    Sparky_S,

ffocused,

The Troll,

I wandered up to DID in Blanch and could only find one Sammy, Which branch did (pandom the pun) you see it in?

www.didstore.com

Quazzy

yeah will let you know how it is, just to point out aswell i went to DID in sundrive, they had none on display but have the model in the warehouse that will have to be delievered to that branch, the sales confirmed its a LE32R41B, and the man knew his stuff, he said the BD version is more suited for the north or england :D

Sparky_S wrote:
    yeah will let you know how it is, just to point out aswell i went to DID in sundrive, they had none on display but have the model in the warehouse that will have to be delievered to that branch, the sales confirmed its a LE32R41B, and the man knew his stuff, he said the BD version is more suited for the north or england :D

Tanx Again.

Quazzy :)

quazzy wrote:
    Sparky_S,

ffocused,

The Troll,

www.didstore.com

Quazzy

I saw it in DID in Stillorgan. They also had a 2 page spread about the offer in the weekend newspaper(Times or Indo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

quazzy wrote:
    1) Price, is it worth the 1500 euro?

I have the R41, and yes :)

I'm gonna get myself a Sammy.

Thanks for everyones input.

I'll let you all know when I get it.

Quazzy

Ohhhh i cant wait till tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

been looking at these models myself....only difference between 41 and 51 is that the later model has had some cosmetic changes...it's lighter, due to having slightly smaller, less powerful speaker cabinets....this is seemingly a cost cutting move on samsung's part, since most people hook these tellys up to an external AV amp.

Sparky_S wrote:
    Ohhhh i cant wait till tomorrow :D
    Hey Sparky,

Hope you can peel yourself away from the new tv to give us all a review....

Also

Did you get a stand with your TV, or did you have to get it seperately?
    Did you buy the TV in shops, or on web?

Quazzy

quazzy wrote:
    Hey Sparky,

Also

Quazzy
    DID said it got smashed in transit and that there wont be another one till either tomorrow or friday.
    But i have a feeling its an excuse for either forgetting to order it or just it hasnt arrived.
    Damn it.

no stand with it, apart from the one that comes supplied with it to put it on a table and i went in on monday morning to order it in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

There also seems to be some confusion as to whether the 51B(D) has a faster response time than the 41B(D). Samsung have given different people different answers.

I got a 41B two weeks ago from www.savastore.com - worked out about €1280 including delivery.

Not much point getting the BD version here at the moment since there's no digital freeview available.

right got mine today, its the new model, where the black at the bottom of the screen is straight.
    a bit of tweaking on the picture and its looks good.
    now for my HDMI player.

quazzy wrote:
    Hey Sparky,

Also

Quazzy

Right as promised, heres my review 4 hours into owning the tv:

Firstly, i only use the sky plus through it and i found most channels to be very bad on picture quality, but this is due to the high compression of channels, most noted on the MTV channels and any of those fta channels and shopping channels. Rest assured that the movie channels and sport channels are good on quality :D
    Out of getting the tv out of the box I did have to tweak some picture settings as the colour was too high and the brightness and contrast wasnt to my liking, so the bring the colour to B&W and adjust the brightness and contrast from there method helped.
    So after setting up the picture, i watched some movies and sport and news, and i was amazed at the sharpness of the picture.

I tried a few dvds through the scart and thats great excellent picture, but as my dvd has a component output i coulnt try it through it as i lost the remote :(
    So far im really impressed, but i do find the pic quality on sky annoying and the only remedy at times is to put the output to pal rather than RGB.

I have yet to get a dvi to hdmi or vga to vga cable to test some HD content on the tv, but im assured its the best for the job, well the xbox 360 is used on the 26" version so im sure its great.

Im also expecting a delievery of a upscaling HDMI dvd player, i know its not the best but id try it out and see anyways, as im giving my dvd player to the parents. :D

i have to say, ive gone addicted to HD, i played 4 vids on the display that are HD and im so impressed at the detail and colour.
    At this moment i want to reccomend a site that has HD downloadable clips from trailers to the likes of sony and pioneer demo vids.
    www.hdclips.net
    i also watched some test BBC HD footage from august and im looking forward to when they start broadcasting their material fully.

Ive uploaded some photos of a panasonic HD demo, the camera doesnt do it justice, but you get the jist of it.
    The last five pics are of sky news, skymovies, the sky planner and boards.ie on IE through the pc input
    http://www.images.sparky-s.com/sp_index.php?dir=./Samsung32

Sparky_S wrote:
    i have to say, ive gone addicted to HD, i played 4 vids on the display that are HD and im so impressed at the detail and colour.
    At this moment i want to reccomend a site that has HD downloadable clips from trailers to the likes of sony and pioneer demo vids.
    www.hdclips.net
    i also watched some test BBC HD footage from august and im looking forward to when they start broadcasting their material fully.

Ive uploaded some photos of a panasonic HD demo, the camera doesnt do it justice, but you get the jist of it.
    The last five pics are of sky news, skymovies, the sky planner and boards.ie on IE through the pc input
    http://www.images.sparky-s.com/sp_index.php?dir=./Samsung32

Hey Sparky,

Tanx for the review. I'll probably be pestering you with set up questions when I get mine. Prob gonna be in Jan however, so you can rest easy and enjoy the magical world of HDTV. Bye for now.

quazzy wrote:
    Hey Sparky,

Tanx for the review. I'll probably be pestering you with set up questions when I get mine. Prob gonna be in Jan however, so you can rest easy and enjoy the magical world of HDTV. Bye for now.

oh noooooo :D

Ill be here to help ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement