Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Fun

Options
  • 14-11-2005 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Of course have a trash bag handy...

Yesterday we took some plastic (10oz) bottles, filled about 3/4 full of vinegar.
    Added baking soda twisted up in cigarette papers then cap tightly.(do this step fast):eek:
    The pressure in the bottle makes a pretty neat target.
    I do recommend shooting them at 25 yards or more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Alternatively you could go to aldi and buy some cheap coke cans... shake the bejesus out of them and then procede as above... ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Less chance of the coke blowing up in your face as well ;)

Shot some shiloutes with .22 pistol recently. Thats a surprising amount of fun. Esp when 4 or more shooters are all going at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

every tried shooting aerosals the lighter refills are the best if you light a little fire and stick the can in it and shoot it from about 40yards get pretty decent explosion

Guys I dont want to see a list of ways to kill and mame your self or others posted here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Guys I dont want to see a list of ways to kill and mame your self or others posted here...

So that proabably makes this a bad time to mention an idea involving 25kg bottles of propane and tracers then? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I just hope you lads clean all the debris off the target line when you're done...

Hate having to clear all that crap off the line before shooting...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

I hate to think of the Gardai or the DOJ reading this thread and respectfully suggest the mods remove it. This is not a side of our sport which we should highlight.

I would suggest that if this is a side of our sport which we do not wish to let anyone see, that we simply stop doing it. Personally, I always thought the whole idea of shooting at this sort of item was a bit on the silly side anyway, when there are safer and longer-lasting reactive targets available, which also work out much cheaper in any term longer than a single shot. This sort of thing, or this, or this for example. Even if their original purpose is much darker than the fun we'd be getting from them.

This is not a side of our sport which we should highlight.

Which, exactly?

If you're looking for a nice environmentally friendly reactive target, can't go wrong with ice, btw.

ah its only a bit of fun we've got rifles to set things off at safe distances its the idiots who light stuff and run that get themselves into trouble

when i first got my rifle and after getting used to it i started experimenting i found a good way to recover shot bulets if you get about 3 2litre bottles and fille them with water and put them down a pipe line it up and shoot it and you'll come out with the bullet

so are we allowed tell our other stories or are you banning this sort of thing Sparks?

• Advertisement

I kind of believe in the "warts and all" approach psitta (could you have guessed? :D ). Doesn't mean I think it's our best image, mind!

Once it's safe, no property is damaged and any mess is tidied up afterwards, I don't see a problem with "fun" shooting. Why is making small pieces of some object less valid than punching holes in a sheet of paper?

Maybe some of the backbiting and bitching we see here would be lessened if some people rediscovered the fun of shooting rather than concentrating on the politics of various associations.

civdef wrote:
    Once it's safe, no property is damaged and any mess is tidied up afterwards, I don't see a problem with "fun" shooting. Why is making small pieces of some object less valid than punching holes in a sheet of paper?

Maybe some of the backbiting and bitching we see here would be lessened if some people rediscovered the fun of shooting rather than concentrating on the politics of various associations.

Some shooters think shooting at road signs is fun. After all the debate here about justification for possesion of firearms(Hunting, target) when it comes to getting a license etc., don't you think that this thread could do harm?

It's the "any mess is tidied up afterwards" bit civ - whenever I saw this being done, like on the old range in Fassaroe, it was never cleaned up afterwards, we had to do it ourselves before we could shoot. Bloody inconsiderate, I always thought.

Plus, I'd hate to try this on a nicely photogenic range like Comber - explaining why there's debris all over their manicured lawn area wouldn't be high on my list of things to try :D

normal_Comber_2.jpg

Some shooters think shooting at road signs is fun

Who said anything about road signs?

Read again my post:
    Once it's safe, no property is damaged and any mess is tidied up afterwards

Where can you stretch that to committing criminal damage? If you care to trawl back through the archives here to when this forum started, you'll find a thread started here by myself condemning the idiots who act in such a fashion.

If you can't differentiate between safely conducted shooting at unconventional reactive targets, and morons going around breaking the law, you would seem to have lost perspective.

Leupold wrote:
    Some shooters think shooting at road signs is fun. After all the debate here about justification for possesion of firearms(Hunting, target) when it comes to getting a license etc., don't you think that this thread could do harm?
    No, I think that those shooters could do harm and that we should strongly discourage them from doing that kind of thing. I do not think that we should cover up what they do in order to try to hide something that the dogs on the street know about, and I will not condone what they do by hushing up about it as if that would solve anything!

Besides, as Civ rightly points out, you're talking about something a mite more serious (and illegal) than what is being talked about here.

If people are going to be irresponsible with their firearms its not because they read it on this thread.

As well as that if people want to post up and admit that they destroy public property (like signs), fine. We can all tear lumps off them verbally then ban them!! :)

We shot at a bottle on a stick a while back, surprisingly fun watching it spin then 2 of us hit it at the same time and it went flying.

Clays are a good reactive target but a bit big so they are easy to hit.

It's the "any mess is tidied up afterwards" bit civ - whenever I saw this being done, like on the old range in Fassaroe, it was never cleaned up afterwards, we had to do it ourselves before we could shoot. Bloody inconsiderate, I always thought.

Indeed, which was why I specifically included the cleaning up bit. It's a straw man argument to condem firing at makeshift reactive targets just because some gob****es make a mess.

This won't be happening at formal ranges in any case - every range I know of insists that specified targets be used. However, many, many shooters have access to safe areas of land for informal target practice where they can be a bit creative.

Clays are a good reactive target but a bit big so they are easy to hit.

They look a lot smaller from 600m!

civdef wrote:
    They look a lot smaller from 600m!

Wuss!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

One word- Tannerite.
    :D

I somehow doubt we'll ever see this stuff on sale here, though.

On a more serious note, more years ago than I'd care to admit, and when every town had its own dump, many a happy day was spent shooting rats, tin cans, bottles, scrap cars, washing machines, television sets, etc, etc, at the local landfill. Long since closed and sanitised now, of course.

When we get tired of putting holes in paper these days, clay pigeons are a favourite reactive target.
    It's even better if you have two shooters and can 'race' to see who clears the targets first! Put up a pair of pallets as target racks, and place ten clay pigeons on each. Unlimited ammunition and reloads, and the first to completely clear the rack is the winner. Those final fragments can be right sods! :D

Similar stuff can be done with empty shotgun shells. Stand a bunch of them on their ends along a plank and see who can get the most consecutive hits.

Another nice one is to cut a shallow slot lengthways in a plank with a circular saw, and stand a row of cheap biscuits in the slot. Easy or hard depending on the size of the biscuits and distance from the firing line, and the birds will enjoy the residue.

Cheapo fizzy drinks (in cans) are good fun too, provided the split cans are picked up and disposed of properly. I prefer cans as they tend to stay in one piece better that plastic bottles.

Most gun shops stock steel spinner targets, which can be a lot of fun too.
    Or make your own.

I'd be of the opinion that if you're obeying the basic safety rules (backstop, ricochet potential, etc) and not creating a pollution hazard, there's no great harm in shooting unconventional targets. Provided it's your own stuff or by permission of the owner.

Anyone who shoots up public or (someone else's) private property deserves nothing but contempt and prosecution for vandalism/malicious damage at the very least.
    Road sign 'hunters' are a particularly low breed. There are laws specifically dealing with the discharge of firearms on or near the public highway, to say nothing of the danger they're creating for the general public.

one for the people with air rifles we got a couple of shotgun cartridges and empied the shot and powder out of them (can find uses for them) but we used to place the empty shells in the ground or prop them up somehow and try and hit the pin and get them to go off surprisingly hard but at that stage i never owned a rifle

that tannerite stuff sounds cool i wonder is it possible to make something of the sort would be class

Sparks wrote:
    No, I think that those shooters could do harm and that we should strongly discourage them from doing that kind of thing. I do not think that we should cover up what they do in order to try to hide something that the dogs on the street know about, and I will not condone what they do by hushing up about it as if that would solve anything!

Besides, as Civ rightly points out, you're talking about something a mite more serious (and illegal) than what is being talked about here.
    Sparks and Civ, I am not advocating hiding this issue. I am just saying that we should not publicize it! The thread gives the impression that such plinking is common and "fun"--look at the name of the thread, and will be picked up in some areas of proof of the irresponsibility of some shooters.

Let's be clear now, are you saying all plinking is irresponsible?

Did I say That?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 disco kid

Leupold wrote:
    Sparks and Civ, I am not advocating hiding this issue. I am just saying that we should not publicize it! The thread gives the impression that such plinking is common and "fun"--look at the name of the thread, and will be picked up in some areas of proof of the irresponsibility of some shooters.

YES but it is ok to shoot 1000yrds in some field if you havent got a range?

disco kid wrote:
    YES but it is ok to shoot 1000yrds in some field if you havent got a range?
    Who has not got a range?

civdef wrote:
    Let's be clear now, are you saying all plinking is irresponsible?
    Civdef, do you think giving plinking as the justification for a firearms license would satisfy the licensing authorities?

No reason it shouldn't. Target shooting doesn't have to mean a formal setup on a purpose built range with all the fancy gear etc.

I know at least one licence for a 22 rifle that was granted for target practice, on the basis of landowners signatures (hundreds of acres).

It can be easy for people very involved in clubs and club politics to recognise there's a bigger world of shooting out there. Dare I say it there seems to e an element of snobbery present towards the less formal syles of shooting by some of the self proclaimed "elite".

When it comes to it, who's to say informally punching tin-cans in a sandpit with a 22 (with owners permission of course) is any less valid a reason for having a gun than putting holes in paper at an international competition?

To turn the question back to you, would you limit shooters currently using informal facilities in perfect safety to the handful of ranges around the county?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 disco kid

. MRC is the only comfortable Long Range rifle range in Southern Ireland at present But other informal facilities are available and used.

Taken from NRAI /LRRA debate thread page 4

You dont mind doing a bit of long range plinking your self ?

People in glass houses shouid not throw stones

Advertisement