Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying noises - `trek 7200

Options
  • 14-11-2005 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've got a 3 month old Trek 7200 that is giving a strange clicking sound from the pedal cog area. I've tried oiling which seemed to help but not for very long. Should I be worried about this? i.e. if I do nothing will it wear something out and need replacing? Has anyone found this common on trek bikes?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

grizzly wrote:
    Hi

I've got a 3 month old Trek 7200 that is giving a strange clicking sound from the pedal cog area. I've tried oiling which seemed to help but not for very long. Should I be worried about this? i.e. if I do nothing will it wear something out and need replacing? Has anyone found this common on trek bikes?

Thanks!

Just wondering, is this evident only when you pedal or is it clicking even when you are freewheeling?
    If it is clicking only when you are pedaling, is it only when you are putting a lot of pressure on the pedals, for example when you are going uphill?
    If this is the case is it on both sides - both crank arms or just one?
    If so, I suspect the crank that is creaking is loose. Get a 8mm (tis on my bikes) allen key and a (Shimano) crank extractor from your local bikeshop. Take the crank off, clean the square inside, clean the Bottom Bracket axle and refit the crank arm. Tighten and retest....

If you haven't already had your free first service from the bike shop take it to them and have them fix it, but it is easy to service the various bits n bobs yourself.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks nereid,

It's only when I pedal, so I'll try what you've advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

a worn bottom bracket can create a creaking noise when pedaling. It happened to me and when i removed the bottom bracket (Old Shimano 105)the bearings and bearing surface inside were just a churned mass of mangled metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Try what nereid suggested, making sure the cranks are good and tight, if that doesn't work, try the same with the pedals, then the bottom bracket itself.

M

Advertisement