Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€7500 premium. Lie to insurance company?

Options
  • 14-11-2005 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I have had just had my license (provisional, awaiting test) returned to me after a one year ban. Not my first one either. Not drink driving, no crash but I was caught without tax and insurance and they threw the book at me. No complaints, my own fault.
    The problem is that getting insured is difficult now but as a single parent and presently starting a business being without a car is like losing a limb.
    I have been told by a brokerage that there's only one company (ARB) that will cover me. €7500 per year. Ouch. I'm very tempted to pretend that I have no endorsements and lie to the insurance companies. If I'm caught I think it would be more than a ban next time.
    Will my name be on a list of endorsed drivers that the insurance company can access?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You have been done for driving without insurance already.

You now propose lying to the insurance companies, which means you will be driving without insurance AGAIN! :eek: (as your policy is void if the information provided is untrue)

You should not be allowed onto the roads ever again in my opinion. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's not the issue. I'm seriously appalled that after a one year ban for no insurance, you are actually considering getting back on the road without insurance again.

Afaik, the insurance company will have access to endorsement/conviction info, as it's in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

frobisher wrote:
    I have had just had my license (provisional, awaiting test) returned to me after a one year ban. Not my first one either. Not drink driving, no crash but I was caught without tax and insurance and they threw the book at me. No complaints, my own fault.
    The problem is that getting insured is difficult now but as a single parent and presently starting a business being without a car is like losing a limb.
    I have been told by a brokerage that there's only one company (ARB) that will cover me. €7500 per year. Ouch. I'm very tempted to pretend that I have no endorsements and lie to the insurance companies. If I'm caught I think it would be more than a ban next time.
    Will my name be on a list of endorsed drivers that the insurance company can access?

I could go into a big rant about uninsured drives but I am going to bite my lip. :mad:

At the very least giving incorrect information to you insurance company will void your policy, so if you have an accident the insurance company are under no obligation to pay out on a void policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think this guy just wants someone to tell him that he will get away with it if he lies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

garage policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I've never encountered a potential insurance recidivist before but I so can see a flaming coming!
    You are paying for your past misdemeanour but seems like you've learned nothing. Getting caught again driving without insurance would be the least of your worries. Imagine the poetential repercussions if you were to cause a serious accident? Given the previous conviction you could end up doing time in the clink. You'll just have to pay the money to get insurance. If the car is part of the business you may get some tax relief on the costs but I'm no expert on such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you plan on lying to get an insurance policy you may as well just scan someone elses insurance disk and take your chances. Either way, you wont be driving insured.

The chances are you will be given an "insurance policy" if you do lie, however it will be absolutely worthless. If you do happen to have another crash, even one that is not necessarily your fault, you will find yourself before a very stern judge once more and you will be asking if it ok to drive with a lifetime ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hagar wrote:
    I think this guy just wants someone to tell him that he will get away with it if he lies. :(

I suspect so too. So, in the interest of sanity this thread is locked

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rambler

Is a very high price, don't know much about insurance companies, but however if I were in your shoes I would have the phone book out getting a quote from any that would give one and just put up with what ever is best, even just bare 3rd party with no fire\theft.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement