Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB questions

• 14-11-2005 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

hi im moving into a new house that will be gitting NTL BB installed, I was wondering about getting a wireless router for the house does anyone know if NTL offer this?* if not then any recommendations for a good DOCSIS wireless router?

*tried calling their helpline but got tired of waiting...i hope this is not a sign of things to come!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

gre_soul wrote:
    hi im moving into a new house that will be gitting NTL BB installed, I was wondering about getting a wireless router for the house does anyone know if NTL offer this?* if not then any recommendations for a good DOCSIS wireless router?

*tried calling their helpline but got tired of waiting...i hope this is not a sign of things to come!

Offer it?

AFAIk they just give you the modem, any lynksis/netgear will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭SteM

The Linksys WRT54G comes highly recommended, I used it with NTL BB for ages and had no problems with it. I got mine from Komplett but I know IT Direct and other places around Dublin sell it.

I was told by an installer a couple of months ago that NTL would be offering wireless routers but he didn't seem to know whne. He's just been sent on a course with some others on configuration options etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

ntlbell wrote:
    Offer it?

AFAIk they just give you the modem, any lynksis/netgear will do.

Offer it as an integrated modem/router product for an extra sum, some ISP's do. I have absolutely no experience using cable modems, have been using ADSL. I think they charge extra rental for extra outlets so wireless option would probably work out the most economical solution I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

SteM wrote:
    The Linksys WRT54G comes highly recommended, I used it with NTL BB for ages and had no problems with it. I got mine from Komplett but I know IT Direct and other places around Dublin sell it.

I was told by an installer a couple of months ago that NTL would be offering wireless routers but he didn't seem to know whne. He's just been sent on a course with some others on configuration options etc.

Hi did you connect it up using the modem that came with NTL? is it pretty straight forward? thanks ;)

Yeah, the modem NTL supplied has USB and Ethernet output. Just hook it up to the the router with an ethernet cable and setup is straightforward from here on.
    I think they charge extra rental for extra outlets so wireless option would probably work out the most economical solution I think.

Well when the installer came to put in the cable modem he was quite willing to put in an extra point in the spare room where the PC was. He said there'd be no monthly charge for the point as it was all covered by the BB monthly rental. I decided to go wireless though because I was renting at the time and didn't want holes drilled in walls etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

SteM wrote:
    Yeah, the modem NTL supplied has USB and Ethernet output. Just hook it up to the the router with an ethernet cable and setup is straightforward from here on.

Well when the installer came to put in the cable modem he was quite willing to put in an extra point in the spare room where the PC was. He said there'd be no monthly charge for the point as it was all covered by the BB monthly rental. I decided to go wireless though because I was renting at the time and didn't want holes drilled in walls etc.

Exactly.

Here's a snap of the 3 Meg!:eek:

Freddie59 wrote:
    Exactly.

Here's a snap of the 3 Meg!:eek:

I miss NTL BB :(

SteM wrote:
    I miss NTL BB :(

Why?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

I got NTL BB about 3 months ago. The default install is a modem but when I whinged that I needed wireless they gave me a Netgear WGR614 also. No extra charge.
    I ended up buying my own wireless router with phone ports because I wanted to use the BB for my phone instead of paying Eircon for the line rental. Well worth considering.

Info on this on the Voip forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

I had the WRT54G before and yes, they're a sinch to use. Get the LinkSys WRT54GP2 router instead. It will have two ATA phone sockets you can receive/make calls with your computer turned off. All you do is contact someone like www.blueface.ie get them to give you a VoIP/PSTN number. Plug in your NORMAL phone, then call Eircon and tell them to bend over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Freddie59 wrote:
    Why?:)

I'll answer for him, cause its the BIz

Drapper wrote:
    I'll answer for him, cause its the BIz

Fair enough!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

This is probably a silly question but you know the way ntl bb is cable as opposed to adsl, does it still come into the house over the phone cable or is there a differant physical cable that carries it into the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

skywalker wrote:
    This is probably a silly question but you know the way ntl bb is cable as opposed to adsl, does it still come into the house over the phone cable or is there a differant physical cable that carries it into the house?
    It comes in over the same cable as the TV. They actually split your TV cable.

Ahhhh I see. Makes sense. Im just thinking about it from a practicality point of view. So youd have to have your phone near the tele or they split the cable outside the house & route it in wherever you want?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

skywalker wrote:
    Ahhhh I see. Makes sense. Im just thinking about it from a practicality point of view. So youd have to have your phone near the tele or they split the cable outside the house & route it in wherever you want?

They will add an extra point wherever you want, with no extra cost. For me they routed the cable from outside up the side wall (hidden behind the drain pipe) into the attic and dropped it down into my bedroom. Good job.

Just one more question. I currently have ntl analogue basic, is that ok to bundle the BB with or do you have to have digital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't have to have digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No alonogue is ok, but the broadband service is not necessarily available everywhere there is basic cable. You do not need to have digital to have broadband with NTL.

Thanks for the info lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

At the risk of cross posting, you might find this interesting...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054850706

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Redmonda

gre_soul wrote:

The Linksys WRT54G works fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

sorry be a tool here but can you elaborate on this slightly more. I got the cable modem in this week and have been trying to hook up a Netgear DG834G for wireless. What I don't get is how I feed the modem into the wireless router. The problem I have is that the feed coming from the modem is a standard ethernet cable but the router seems to want an RJ-45 connector (telephone) plugged into the internet port. The only cables I have are ethernet and if I plug one of these into one of the regular ethernet ports on the router, it doesn't detect the internet connectivity.

I have a Wi-Fi card. The card/computer can see the router. The problem is getting the router to detect the internet connection. Do I need some kind of Ethernet<->telephone adapter.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sure its straight-forward when it just works but I am missing that one vital step.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Hey, you can just get NTL broadband by it's self can't you. You don't need to get their Digital TV? I only have NTL Basic, is that enough to get NTL BB?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

DingChavez wrote:
    Hey, you can just get NTL broadband by it's self can't you. You don't need to get their Digital TV? I only have NTL Basic, is that enough to get NTL BB?

Yes, you only need basic, if BB is available in your area.

elduggo wrote:
    sorry be a tool here but can you elaborate on this slightly more. I got the cable modem in this week and have been trying to hook up a Netgear DG834G for wireless. What I don't get is how I feed the modem into the wireless router. The problem I have is that the feed coming from the modem is a standard ethernet cable but the router seems to want an RJ-45 connector (telephone) plugged into the internet port.

I'm afraid that the DG834G is worthless to you, it is a "wireless ADSL router", this means it has an ADSL modem built in and it will only work with ADSL.

What you need is a "wireless broadband router" with a WAN connection, any from this page will do:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?PcatIDL1=2&CatID=20&l=2&CnL1=NTL/Telewest&CnL2=Wireless%20Cable%20Routers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

ah, that makes sense. Believe it or not I can get it working on occasion by plugging the modem into one of the regular network ports on the DG834G. It doesn't look too reliable though.

Thanks a lot for the link. I'll check it out and get ordering something.

Advertisement